Author Topic: Decent for a cheap DMM to toss into car?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline RussTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Decent for a cheap DMM to toss into car?
« on: December 27, 2017, 03:09:19 pm »
Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter TRMS 6000 with Battery Alligator Clips Test Leads AC/DC Voltage/Account,Voltage Alert, Amp/Ohm/Volt Multi Tester/Diode and Continuity Test HZ Backlight LCD Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZG2F2N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Nu7qAbH337MB4

I don’t want my Brymen to be bouncing around in the car constantly. I thought it may be perfect for having in the car/toolbox?

Thanks

Offline Belrmar

• Regular Contributor
Re: Decent for a cheap DMM to toss into car?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 03:34:42 pm »
i dont really know why you would need to spend a lot of money for a car multimeter, if tis going to stay on a toolbox and for a car your 15 bucks chinese  dmm  should be good enough

The following users thanked this post: Russ

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 03:38:42 pm »
i dont really know why you would need to spend a lot of money for a car multimeter, if tis going to stay on a toolbox and for a car your 15 bucks chinese  dmm  should be good enough

The linked multimeter is $20 and possibly has the same chip as AN8002/AN860B+ (I don't have any way to be sure) but does have the additional buttons that AN860B+ has, but AN8002 does not - but it does have a smaller size instead.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 03:43:39 pm »

The linked multimeter is $20 and possibly has the same chip as AN8002/AN860B+ (I don't have any way to be sure) but does have the additional buttons that AN860B+ has, but AN8002 does not - but it does have a smaller size instead.

That was my thinking too. Something cheap for the car, etc.

Thanks

Offline Belrmar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 03:50:09 pm »
that multimiter you showed on amazon looks pretty ok, if you really want the autoranging, cars usually only unse 12 volts or so on their systems so the 20 v range on the cheap chinese should be enough. i would tell you to go for an even cheaper multimeter. unless you stick it on the high voltage spark plug system it should be more than enough

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 09:50:08 pm »
Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter TRMS 6000 with Battery Alligator Clips Test Leads AC/DC Voltage/Account,Voltage Alert, Amp/Ohm/Volt Multi Tester/Diode and Continuity Test HZ Backlight LCD Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZG2F2N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vivsAb5HE60S6

It arrived today. I thought it would be really small. It’s as big or bigger than my Eevblog/Brymen 235. The outer cover is on quite tightly. Having difficulty accessing the fuses. 😬

Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 12:20:13 am »
I’m surprised. A $20.00 multimeter, that is accurate and came with two HRC ceramic fuses installed 👍

Russ

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 12:54:46 am »
That voltage alert is going to be kind of useless unless this is a typo:

In Stock.
Want it Wednesday, Jan. 3? Choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
Sold by Thsinde and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
Continuity Test and Voltage Alert: Use the PTC ceramics protection circuit for Resistance and frequency measurement and Shielding Interference and Diode and Continuity Test can be 20000 µF
Non Contact Voltage Alert: When the detection of voltage is greater than 700V(RMS), keep close to the conductor, the instrument sensor will light and buzz.

Even on 480Y/277, this thing won't alarm.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 01:26:18 am »
That voltage alert is going to be kind of useless unless this is a typo:

In Stock.
Want it Wednesday, Jan. 3? Choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
Sold by Thsinde and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
Continuity Test and Voltage Alert: Use the PTC ceramics protection circuit for Resistance and frequency measurement and Shielding Interference and Diode and Continuity Test can be 20000 µF
Non Contact Voltage Alert: When the detection of voltage is greater than 700V(RMS), keep close to the conductor, the instrument sensor will light and buzz.

Even on 480Y/277, this thing won't alarm.

I’m confused. Why is that?  It’s readings are very close to the Eevblog/Brymen 235 give me. 👍

Thanks
Russ

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 06:47:11 am »
Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter TRMS 6000 with Battery Alligator Clips Test Leads AC/DC Voltage/Account,Voltage Alert, Amp/Ohm/Volt Multi Tester/Diode and Continuity Test HZ Backlight LCD Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZG2F2N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Nu7qAbH337MB4

I don’t want my Brymen to be bouncing around in the car constantly. I thought it may be perfect for having in the car/toolbox?

Thanks
I bought one for the same reason. The voltage ranges are well calibrated, agreeing to within one count  with my Fluke 87V.
The resistance auto-ranging is slow at 2 seconds. Although not constant current, diode test is about 1mA and reads up to 3V.
It's powered by a 9V battery so less need to worry about it being damaged by leakage while it's being forgotten about in the ute.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WRQYX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:59:22 am by xavier60 »
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 07:43:15 am »
I agree. This meter is not really small in size. I was surprised at its size when I received mine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf