Author Topic: Decent hobby level mcu for DSP  (Read 5800 times)

Offline DajgoroTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • hackaday.io
Decent hobby level mcu for DSP
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:01:16 pm »
Hi.

For a whine now I've been wondering what would be a decently adequate MCU for doing some digital signal processing stuff like DCT algorithms and such.
Well, the Intel 8031 is no choice at 1MIPS, modern 8 bit micros can give up to 16MIPS, and those dsPIC can give even more. Problem is that I am doing homebrew experiments, and something in a tiny smd package that runs only at 3.3V is not very friendly. I also only have a Pickit2 programmer and a universal programmer which is good for all of the older chips.

I remember that there were some ARM chips in DIP packages, and I do have a LPCxpresso board with the usb programmer module attached to it.
The smd factor isn't always a big problem if adapter boards can be found on ebay. I usually have bigger issues with 3.3V since all of my other components tend to be 5V.
Also my primary component source is eBay since it has little or no shipping costs to my country, unlike other distributors like digikey that asks some ridiculous amount of money to ship just a single chip.

Any candidates that fit that requirements?

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
Re: Decent hobby level mcu for DSP
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 06:41:16 pm »
STM32F4DISCOVERY?

Floating point and DSP instructions.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:09:12 pm »
Note that most modern CPU's run at 3.3V or lower, not 5V. Especially if they have high throughput speed (MIPS) they will typically come in 3.3V specifications.

Maybe there is a way you can level shift your signals, or find alternative peripherals for your project that work at 3.3V?

As for the chip itself, STM32F4 discovery is a nice development board with great speed. It has an FPU (Floating Point Unit) which makes it possible to calculations using floats instead of integers. 160MHz or so is also very fast.
dsPIC's are slower, but available in 28-pin DIP (dsPIC33FJ128GP804). That particular chip is also compatible with PICKIT2, even with debugging.
None of the MCU's run at 5V

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:18:00 pm »
The TI Stellaris Launchpad is selling for under $10 USD right now and they have some DSP functionality or at least has the functionality via the headers (may be emulated, I'm not sure)

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/spma041b/spma041b.pdf

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-m/cortex-microcontroller-software-interface-standard.php

DigiKey's Croatian site has it for sale

http://www.digikey.com.hr/hr/en/digihome.html
Search for EK-LM4F120XL 

Arrow, EBV Elektronik, Farnell, Scanti Rus also carry it. You might see if they have any better shipping prices than Digikey or try to purchase directly from TI.

http://www.ti.com/tool/ek-lm4f120xl#this

I know when the MSP430 Launchpad was selling for $4.30 USD I think Dave said they included shipping so this may as well.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:29:37 pm by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:02:06 pm »
Go for the STM32F4, much faster and capable that any dsPIC will ever be.

• Frequent Contributor
    • hackaday.io
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 01:57:38 am »
Go for the STM32F4, much faster and capable that any dsPIC will ever be.
They look nice, and the inputs are 5V tolerant, and that is important to me. If the output is 3.3V that is near ttl levels, and it is not an issue, the biggest issue is the 5V input tolerance.
None of the STM32F4 seems to be available in dip packages, but I could probably find an adapter board on ebay.
I don't like using dev boards in my projects, because I am always trying to integrate the circuits on a smallest possible surface, so that I don't end up with a bulky contraption.
"8080/6800 modes", oh, I like that a lot, I have lots of such peripherals.  ;D

Can the LQFP be soldered on a TQFP layout?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-TQFP-144-TQFP144-Adapter-PCB-SMD-convert-Pitch-0-5-mm-/321134451401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac51adac9

I also can't find the chip itself on ebay, so if I go for that I should find another part source.

Also how it is programed?

Also are there any other chips, maybe some older chips?

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 02:04:54 am »
Devboards are not really intended to be used as final projects, they are so you have a know working hardware, so you can develop your code with confidence in the hardware.
If you want small projects, using DIP is not the way to go.

• Frequent Contributor
    • hackaday.io
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 02:11:36 am »
DIP is the way to go when you are building stuff at home on a low budget.
I agree that a decent device should have a proper pcb and all of the chips in their original package, but when you are just building experimental stuff on a budget, through hole is the way to go. Unless you have high speed signals.  ;D

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 02:45:21 am »
Almost every chip is cheaper in SMD packages, but they might require profissional made pcb's and can be a killer, so I totally understand your side.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:42 am »
The TI Stellaris Launchpad is selling for under $10 USD right now and they have some DSP functionality or at least has the functionality via the headers (may be emulated, I'm not sure)

The C2000 Launchpad went on sale for $8.50 today:  http://e2e.ti.com/group/maketheswitch/b/blog/archive/2013/08/19/happy-birthday-c2000-launchpad.aspx

Not what the OP wanted, but a good deal for a DSP board...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf