Author Topic: Decided to buy the Owon SDS-7102  (Read 5642 times)

Offline tony3dTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Decided to buy the Owon SDS-7102
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:24:29 am »
Hi All, I decided to buy the Owon SDS-7102. It can run on a battery which will give me another layer of protection just till I become confident using a scope. Seeing how my Korad Power Supply is floating, as well, I don't see how I can get myself, or my scope into much trouble. I think I'll wait till Monday to see if Saileg runs any sales. Otherwise $429.00 shipped with free case, and free shipping still isn't bad for a scope with all the features it has. I do like the big screen as well.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
Re: Decided to buy the Owon SDS-7102
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 01:30:20 am »
If you are intending to run the scope from the battery you'll need to allow another $59 - it's an optional extra.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:42:50 am »
Regarding your concern on isolation, especially when the scope is battery powered, that scope is not designed to be fully isolated starting from the probe to the circuit and the external connection like to USB or monitor, they're all connected to the same ground.

If someday you've to work with mains or high volt circuit, just remember the dangerous at the probe's ground clips, both are still shorted together. Also while working, do not un-plug or plug the probe since there are exposed metal at the bnc connector, and also watch other exposed metal at the scope, just don't touch it.

Of course the best practice is to avoid mains / high-vol circuit until you've fully understand the risks involved.

Below picture to give you an idea how a fully isolated scope was designed and made, and yes, even the bnc connectors where you plug the probe has the plastic isolation for the metal part.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:48:12 am »
If you are intending to run the scope from the battery you'll need to allow another $59 - it's an optional extra.

Yes I realize this.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Decided to buy the Owon SDS-7102we
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:57:26 am »
Regarding your concern on isolation, especially when the scope is battery powered, that scope is not designed to be fully isolated starting from the probe to the circuit and the external connection like to USB or monitor, they're all connected to the same ground.

If someday you've to work with mains or high volt circuit, just remember the dangerous at the probe's ground clips, both are still shorted together. Also while working, do not un-plug or plug the probe since there are exposed metal at the bnc connector, and also watch other exposed metal at the scope, just don't touch it.

Of course the best practice is to avoid mains / high-vol circuit until you've fully understand the risks involved.

Below picture to give you an idea how a fully isolated scope was designed and made, and yes, even the bnc connectors where you plug the probe has the plastic isolation for the metal part.

I have no reason or desire to measure any AC volt source. I will remain in the low voltage DC realm of my bread board till I feel totally comfortable to actually work on anything that is mains related. I will experiment with capacitor charging, and discharging, amplifier clipping, and general low voltage projects running off my korad power supply. I have a good friend who is an engineer for Eagle Test Systems who will help me along.

Offline BeerCannon

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 02:57:17 pm »
Did you have a good look at Marmad's video review of that scope? 

Or the "quick look" video that Dave did on EEVBlog (I believe it was a300Mhz model in Dave's case)?

The guy at Afrotechmods.com also reviewed the SDS6062, which is the 60Mhz version.

If not, I'd recommend checking them out.. not that you shouldn't buy the Owon, just so you know what to expect, build-wise. 
Should help make an informed purchase.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 02:33:07 am »
Did you have a good look at Marmad's video review of that scope? 

Or the "quick look" video that Dave did on EEVBlog (I believe it was a300Mhz model in Dave's case)?

The guy at Afrotechmods.com also reviewed the SDS6062, which is the 60Mhz version.

If not, I'd recommend checking them out.. not that you shouldn't buy the Owon, just so you know what to expect, build-wise. 
Should help make an informed purchase.

Yes, I have seen all these videos. I'm just a beginner hobbyist working with amplifier's, and super caps so I think this scope will be fine. Thanks for the links though, I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:51:58 am by tony3d »

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 04:20:54 pm »
Honestly though, for this price, and for what you are using it for, you might just want to get an old Tek 2400 series, or a new, Rigol DS1074Z for $585.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 04:51:12 pm »
Just ordered the Owon SDS 7102 on sale for $365.00 free shipping, and bag included. You can't beat that for all you get in that scope plus a 3 year warranty!

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 07:15:39 pm »
Just ordered the Owon SDS 7102 on sale for $365.00 free shipping, and bag included. You can't beat that for all you get in that scope plus a 3 year warranty!
You probably could in terms of build quality.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 08:46:24 pm »
No, that's a pretty damn good deal no matter how you cut it. There all Chinese scopes, and I really have never seen anyone that looks that much better built than another in this price range.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:48:56 pm by tony3d »

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 11:47:50 pm »
No, that's a pretty damn good deal no matter how you cut it. There all Chinese scopes, and I really have never seen anyone that looks that much better built than another in this price range.
That is true, however, for that price, you could have gotten a Tektronix analog and a good DMM.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf