Author Topic: Desoldering and Soldering Station Advice  (Read 10635 times)

Offline Adam60Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Desoldering and Soldering Station Advice
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 11:38:19 pm »
I am sure this unit will see limited use. Onzee-twozee kind of thing. I have seen so many good answers now, I am confused, maybe more than when I started. Maybe back to the solder wick :)

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 03:22:02 am »
Quote from: Adam60
  ... I have seen so many good answers now, I am confused, maybe more than when I started. 
Then our job is done here !! :-) .. another confused tecchie wondering the streets ..
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline Adam60Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 03:56:19 am »
LOL,
I was confused when I cam and confused when I leave  ???

All good, I at least have the soldering station part solved. Will be going through and probably ordering a desoldering station for now. Hot air later. I have a lot of that myself so all good.  :popcorn:

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 09:38:06 am »
Hot air is only about $50 from China (spare parts are dirt cheap) buy it anytime you need to.

Just get a good desoldering gun if you need one, that extra $150 or so buying a reputable brand model goes a long way. Threads on the forums already about these products.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2022, 04:42:44 am »
Still crazy expensive although it's on special, and out of stock.
https://www.oritech.com.au/hakko-fm204-desolder-station.html
I'm expecting that the short barrel will have fewer clogging problems, when it eventually arrives.
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2022, 04:19:04 pm »
I'm expecting that the short barrel will have fewer clogging problems, when it eventually arrives.

How does it compare to the Hakko FR410?

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2022, 09:15:56 pm »

How does it compare to the Hakko FR410?

The FR410 is way too expensive for me. Im even finding the cost of the FM204 difficult to justify.
The FR410 has nozzles that are separate from the heater which cost a bit less than the heater integrated nozzles for the FM204.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 10:05:32 pm by xavier60 »
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2022, 06:43:54 am »
Ditto! Couldn't have said it better myself. The tip controlled temperature is the only way I ever found to keep the ham-fisted guys at work from just cranking the temperature all the way up. It saved many, many PC boards from trace damage. When I was in charge of the shop I always picked up those stations with a temperature setting knob in my office and did not let them out.

And yes, they do last forever. I bought mine back around 1970 and it still works fine today - with the SAME TIPs that I purchased with it at that time. I never have had to replace a single tip.

And it is my go-to desoldering station as well. I know others will disagree, but a separate solder sucker is just as good or better than those stations with a built in vacuum pump.

I have had my own Weller temperature controlled soldering station for 50 years and used a few more at work. They still make and sell the same one today. The temperature is fixed by the tip part number and there is almost no electronics unlike some "Mickey Mouse" stations that use a light dimmer adjustable power circuit to mess up the heating. Because my soldering station is never too hot the tip lasts for years. If I solder to something that is huge then it automatically turns up the power to stay at its fixed temperature. I can leave it turned on all day and it simply reduces its power to prevent overheating.

Idling cheap soldering irons get too hot so the tip corrodes away soon. When soldering, the rosin in the solder immediately turns into charcoal and pcb copper lifts off. When soldering longer than a few seconds with a cheap iron then it gets too cold.
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2022, 09:56:44 am »
While I'll agree a skilled solder sucker user can do most jobs, it's not quite the same as vacuum desoldering. The latter is way more time efficient especially on repetitive tasks.

The problem with the solder suckers is they don't apply direct heat immediately during vacuuming or allow you to easily manipulate the leg at the same time. So a difficult joint may require several attempts.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2023, 11:28:37 am »
I have been using my new FM204 for a week. I find it pleasant to use.
Warm up is about a minute at which time the vacuum pump is allowed to operate.
The solder path thorough barrel is 48mm with 2.5mm diameter.  I expect very little clogging as happens with longer barrels.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf