Author Topic: Determining C value  (Read 1721 times)

Offline stoica adrianTopic starter

• Contributor
Determining C value
« on: August 07, 2016, 12:48:48 pm »
Hello, i study the art of electronics + learning the art of electronics.
I reach at 2 labs part - capacitor. @ 2L1 they ask to find the value of an R and C value of a low pas filter. I introduce an R=10K and a C=,01uF.
Using an osciloscope and function/arbutrary waveform generator i descover how to find the value of an unknown resistor (10K) using an Rtest resistor. Now, i try to find the value of an unknow capacitor ( ,01uF). But i don't know where to start. In the lab course they offer a hint how to descover R value, but not how the descover the C value. 
Ideeas? Sorry for my english
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 01:29:24 pm by stoica adrian »

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
Re: Determining C value
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 01:32:33 pm »
I do not have a copy of Learning the art of Electronics - so I will have to guess the method.
How did you determine the value of the unknown resistor?
Do the same for the capacitor to determine its impedance (reactance) Xc. Then make use of the formula \$X_c = \frac{1}{2 \pi \; f \; c}\$. For best results select \$f\$ to return similar values of \$X_c\$ and Rtest.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: stoica adrian

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
Re: Determining C value
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 02:05:38 pm »
I am not sure that I undersatnd your diagram, could you post the description from Learning AoE that you are following.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf