Author Topic: Difference between an Zynq from and PSOC  (Read 3569 times)

Offline rakeshm55Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Difference between an Zynq from and PSOC
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:26:32 am »
Hi,
What is the difference b/w programmable system on Chip (PSoC from cypress) and an FPGA (with arm core) like Zynq Xilinx?? Is it just the capacity that matters....

What are the type off applications to which each technology suits??.....

Thanks in Advance

Offline DutchGert

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Difference between an Zynq from and PSOC
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:08:08 am »
A PSoC is basically just a Microcontroller with configurable pins.

A Zync is an FPGA with a dual-core ARM CPU in it.

A PSoC u could use for lets say a capacitive  touch user interface, registering button presses, backlight control, beeping a buzzer, that sort of stuff.
A Zync is used for example to decode HDMI, do video stuff with the FPGA part (paralel processing) and video overlay with one of the ARM core while the other does USB/Ethernet communication or something like that.

Very different stuff.

If I would design a product I would use the PSoC to control LEDs and the user interface stuff and the Zync to do the 'real' processing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:10:03 am by DutchGert »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: Re: Difference between an Zynq from and PSOC
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 03:20:35 pm »
A PSoC is basically just a Microcontroller with configurable pins.

A Zync is an FPGA with a dual-core ARM CPU in it.

A PSoC u could use for lets say a capacitive  touch user interface, registering button presses, backlight control, beeping a buzzer, that sort of stuff.
A Zync is used for example to decode HDMI, do video stuff with the FPGA part (paralel processing) and video overlay with one of the ARM core while the other does USB/Ethernet communication or something like that.

Very different stuff.

If I would design a product I would use the PSoC to control LEDs and the user interface stuff and the Zync to do the 'real' processing.

The PSoC is a uC with some logic and analog blocks attached. The analog blocks are interesting, the logic blocks allow you easily do some cpld like stuff. It's a very easy way to accomplish many tasks that might otherwise need external circuits.

Zynq is a whole different level. It's pretty much an FPGA-ARM hybridoma. You have a full FPGA and a full ARM chip at your disposal. All benefits and difficulties included.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline DutchGert

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Difference between an Zynq from and PSOC
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 03:28:48 pm »
^

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf