Author Topic: How To Connect Detached Cord Back To Multimeter's Probe?  (Read 5145 times)

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
How To Connect Detached Cord Back To Multimeter's Probe?
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:14:43 pm »
Hello guys. I had cord detached from probe and i don't remember pulling it:

I don't know how to attach it back without cutting stick into half.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: How To Connect Detached Cord Back To Multimeter's Probe?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 05:19:51 pm »
You could probably unscrew the metal tip from the plastic case and solder the wire back to the tip.

But, something like this should never happen with a probe. What you have there is a cheap and dangerous probe. Best would be to replace it, and its black companion with something safe.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

alm

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 05:51:49 pm »
If you're lucky, it might unscrew, but I doubt it. It's probably not designed to be repaired. Looks like a cheap probe without any strain relief. Don't use this near dangerous voltages (eg. mains), you don't want test leads to come apart while you're holding them.

Offline thilo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:07:12 pm »
Congrats, time to get yourself a decent pair of test leads. I recommend these: http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Accessories/Test-Leads-Probes-and-Clips/TL175.htm?PID=70420 they're so awesome I can put it barely in words.

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:31:54 pm »
It's better to discard it. Sooner or later the other one will break the same way.
Try to search good probes with silicon cables, like the ones from Pomona (Fluke's OEM manufacturer) or Hirschmann. They may cost a bit, but very good qulity and will last a long time.
Wife hates words like Fluke, Ersa ...

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:59:46 pm »
... What you have there is a cheap and dangerous probe....

Yeah, but....

The other end of the cable is attached to the meter.  If the cable breaks as shown, there's no danger except for not getting the reading you're expecting.  The exposed end of the wire won't have high voltage on it under any circumstance.

I agree the probes are crap and should be replaced, but I wouldn't call them dangerous.

alm

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:04:12 pm »
Except when measuring current. Another safety hazard might be intermittent contact giving a false 0V reading. The known live - unknown - known live circuit procedure might not help if the problem is intermittent. Fluke issued a recall for their 170 series meters because they would take too long to indicate a dangerous voltage.

Offline RJSC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:03:14 pm »
Congrats, time to get yourself a decent pair of test leads. I recommend these: http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Accessories/Test-Leads-Probes-and-Clips/TL175.htm?PID=70420 they're so awesome I can put it barely in words.

Ah...  These Fluke Fanboys...  >:(
Those test leads cost what? 70 ~ 100 USD plus?
Fluke prices are just crazy! The increase in quality is not proportional to the increase in price!

alm

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:06:15 pm »
Those test leads cost what? 70 ~ 100 USD plus?
Fluke prices are just crazy! The increase in quality is not proportional to the increase in price!
About $20 at tequipment.net, gotta love those well researched rants! ;)

Pomona is another big brand. Don't expect to pay much less than for Fluke. They actually make most of the Fluke test leads and are now owned by Fluke. If you're within Europe, Hirschmann might be easier to get, I believe they claim to have invented the banana plug and they make decent stuff. Other manufacturers are Multi-Contact and HCK (now owned by Multi-Contact). You can also get them for a few dollars from DX/Ebay, but this thread is a clear example what you might get.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 12:01:13 am »
But, something like this should never happen with a probe.
But it does, everything has a breaking point, even the quality ones break with continued use or misuse.

What you have there is a cheap and dangerous probe. Best would be to replace it, and its black companion with something safe.
I'd concur, from both a safety and functionality angle. With better leads the insulation will usually be intact long after stress failure has open circuited the copper conductor. Better name brand leads may cost more but they will stand up to years more stress, stretch, tug and flex than the Won Hunglo copies.

... What you have there is a cheap and dangerous probe....

Yeah, but....

The other end of the cable is attached to the meter.  If the cable breaks as shown, there's no danger except for not getting the reading you're expecting.  The exposed end of the wire won't have high voltage on it under any circumstance.

I agree the probes are crap and should be replaced, but I wouldn't call them dangerous.

There can be plenty of danger, as you've stated, the other end is likely connected to the meter, which could be connected to anything. Not all voltage measurements are to ground, current measurement as already mentioned are generally made withing the active/positive lead. A test instrument needs to be trusted, who wants to trust something intermittent or far too fragile for reasonable use.

Quick Tip for leads of any quality. DO NOT tightly wrap then around your meter every time your finished with it! (No matter how much those moulded grips on your Fluke holster look like they are meant to do this. )
Most failures occur at the ends near the probes or plugs, every time you tight wrap your leads around your meter you are straining them far more than you ever will in normal use.

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 01:49:52 am »
Key word being "tightly"...
This from the Fluke 287/289 manual:

It certainly makes it more convenient to transport like that. Just not too tight so there isn't undue strain on the leads.
I agree with thilo, these TL175's are great to work with.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 10:42:52 am »
From the pictures shown, I would say that that lead does not meet IEC61010-2-032 which is the standard for test probes. Both this standard and the recently withdrawn older version calls for a flex test at the end of the probe of several thousand repetitions. I can't say for certain that it is non-compliant, but I don't see any of the required strain relief.

Was the meter CE marked? Meeting IEC61010 is mandatory to being allowed of affix the CE mark in the EU.

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline gxti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 03:58:33 pm »
Hah! I've had an 87-V for over a year and I never figured out how to use the probe holder thing on the bottom, until today.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 05:30:54 pm »
pull the metal tip using a plier and then figure out how to connect it. if you dont want this to happen again you can wrap the wire on the probe plastic end and use cable tie to strap it. dont trust 100% other economist saying you have to buy this and that, unless you are working with HV (kilovolt) stuff. i used that kind of probe everyday for my bench work (30V max) even for mains sometime (seldom), never got a shock.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf