Author Topic: Differences between Dimmable and Non-Dimmable LED Lights  (Read 2757 times)

Offline StonentTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Differences between Dimmable and Non-Dimmable LED Lights
« on: March 04, 2016, 04:21:46 pm »
I found a fairly decent looking non-dimmable bulb at Walmart for $2.17 each (60W Replacement bulb) and it is quite bright (almost think it could replace a 75W bulb)

However they had dimmable ones that looked exactly the same but were nearly twice as expensive.

I was wondering what internal differences there were between dimmable and non-dimmable LED light bulbs?

The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Belgarion

• Supporter
    • BrokenBrain
Re: Differences between Dimmable and Non-Dimmable LED Lights
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 04:56:54 pm »
Digikey has an article describing dimming, which also mentions that LED lamps might not dim properly using a standard triac dimmer.
http://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2011/jul/dimming-leds-with-traditional-triac-dimmers

Basically the triac dimmer chops the AC sine curve and if the LED circuit is not made to handle that it will behave oddly.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 05:01:40 pm »
Try using a traditional dimmer with a LED lamp using a RC supply and wait for the flames to appear. :) A triac dimmer causes massive harmonic content, and at those frequencies the impedance of the capacitor in the RC supply can be rather low.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 05:39:48 pm »
Your results may vary.  I have a A19 LED lamp I dim for my dog to get down stairs  with only a .05uf capacitor in series.  With another one, that makes the LED flash.  I think most of them will dim somewhat with standard dimmer if a .47uf / 100 ohm RC network is parallel with LED lamp. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf