Author Topic: Digital Isolator vs Optocoupler?  (Read 4918 times)

Offline ftransformTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Digital Isolator vs Optocoupler?
« on: March 24, 2013, 02:53:42 am »
So I ordered a digital isolator, not really considering how it works, and when I read the datasheet to my alarm I found out that it uses radio signals to transmit information.
Since I want to use it to communicate serial from a ADC I got paranoid about it being a noise source.

I found one mention of this potential problem on dangerousprototypes.com but I cannot find information on google.
To me it seems that putting a radio frequency transmitter right next to my ADC is a big no no, or are these devices nice and quiet? Since it was not mentioned in the datasheet (for instance analog devices icoupler system) to be low noise I expect it to be a problem.

Has anyone here used these devices next to a sensitive ADC and determined if they are detrimental?

Lesson learned to very carefully read the datasheet before purchasing  |O :palm:

I am about to jury rig some bullshit out of shrink tubing, photodiodes and LED's because I am broke  :-- |O
I got this thing http://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/SI8431AB-D-IS/336-1758-5-ND/2170665

Is it worth pursuing a optical method?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:20:34 am by ftransform »

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
Re: Digital Isolator vs Optocoupler?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 04:55:10 am »
The Silabs isolators are one of the best around. I use many 100s, in many designs. There is NO, or negligible spurious
radiation emission, and I've never heard of an issue near adc's. IF you want to be extra-certain, put 10/100pF ceramic
caps right at the inputs. No need to panic :-)
Edit: The advantages are WELL worth it as well.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 04:58:18 am »
The Silabs isolators are one of the best around. I use many 100s, in many designs. There is NO, or negligible spurious
radiation emission, and I've never heard of an issue near adc's. IF you want to be extra-certain, put 10/100pF ceramic
caps right at the inputs. No need to panic :-)
Edit: The advantages are WELL worth it as well.

Good to know I was ripping my hair out looking for a cheap optical solution.  >:(
I wish they would advertize that fact better. It looks like a discrete optical solution for 6 lines would cost me 30$+, so I am very happy to get away with 5$.
I will also put some ferrite on the power rail for it.  :-+
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:00:15 am by ftransform »

Offline andete

• Contributor
  • famous for its killer edible poets
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 06:14:20 am »
Very interesting, as a newbie, I didn't even knew these digital isolators exist.

The link mentioned in the original post: http://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/SI8431AB-D-IS/336-1758-5-ND/2170665

actually contains a hyperlink named Digital Isolators vs. Optocouplers that has a video showing the basics of the device.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:31:54 am »
For the price, they're pretty awesome. 1 / 10MHz transfer, ultra-low jitter/skew, pretty much fixed 1.6mA over the range.
Perfect for SPI, SCI, CAN, USB etc
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline knarf.be

• Contributor
    • My personal blog
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 08:53:02 pm »
A good advice: always sleep a night over every decision, mostly you won't  regret it!
Yesterday I wanted to buy a DMM from a local store, but it costed € 100, so I slept a night over it, and today I found a DMM well better than the € 100 (true RMS) for € 50 here on the forum.
Always sleep a night over something when you have the time ;)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:36:46 pm »
A good advice: always sleep a night over every decision, mostly you won't  regret it!
Yesterday I wanted to buy a DMM from a local store, but it costed € 100, so I slept a night over it, and today I found a DMM well better than the € 100 (true RMS) for € 50 here on the forum.
Always sleep a night over something when you have the time ;)

Then this project would take 3 billion years  :(

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 12:06:22 am »
NVE Also do a big range of digital isolators, including these neat ones with passive inputs
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 12:21:33 am »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf