Author Topic: Dirt cheap and simple scope-based component tester - curve tracer  (Read 96002 times)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Dirt cheap and simple scope-based component tester - curve tracer
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2013, 03:13:36 pm »
You have rekindled my interest in this project.

It is my pleasure, I assure you :)

Offline glicos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2013, 04:35:14 pm »
Fluke also released such functionality in their GMM (Graphical Multimeter, Fluke 867B). This is one of the most useful function im using till now.....

Offline glicos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2013, 05:13:00 am »
You can also do this with a PC and a simple hardware interface that buffers the sound card.
Here are 2 articles on the subject published by Dr George R. Steber, WB9LVI, they cover the same ground but one goes more into the theory the other is about the hardware.

The 3rd file is from a user of the earlier design, I include it as he provides a PCB layout for those who wish to take it beyond the breadboard.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

Do you still have the copy of the software? im interested in building this one..hope you got the software copy...thanks...

Edit: Thanks..i already found the software...for the benefit of others, i attached it here...

http://www.4shared.com/zip/xW0jIGsp/7x06Steber.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:24:39 am by glicos »

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:43:55 pm by casinada »

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2013, 08:17:09 pm »
I am glad my posting was of interest.

If anyone wants to see the user manual, service manual or schematics for the TR210 I will be happy to provide them as I have the full set. Huntron provided the schematic and offer excellent support for their older products.

As a sort of 'spin-off' from the Huntron Tracker, Polar Instruments produced a component tester that offered very similar capabilities PLUS a curve tracer function for transistors. I bought it out of curiosity as I use Polar Tone Ohm's and had not seen the component tester before.
I wouldn't mind a copy of the schematic  if you post it on here.
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline caroper

• Regular Contributor
    • Take your PIC
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2014, 10:49:05 pm »
Edit: Thanks..i already found the software...for the benefit of others, i attached it here...
http://www.4shared.com/zip/xW0jIGsp/7x06Steber.html

And to save having to go via a 3rd Party, here original is the Software from the link in the PDF on the QEX magazine Server http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX%20Binaries/06_July/7x06Steber.zip
Out of interest for those worried, as I was, that this software dates from 2006, I can confirm that it runs perfectly on WIN 7-64Bit so probably will on WIN 8 too.

Cheers
Chris

Offline sweesiong78

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2014, 06:20:04 pm »
Hi, I built the octopus circuit according to the attached file diagram.

My scope is a Rigol 1054Z. My small problem is that I find that I have to invert BOTH X and Y channel in order to get the 'correct' shapes for the graphs.

I have checked my connections and I think they are correct. If I just invert the Y channel (vertical/current) input I get a mirrored image (along the x-axis), so for eg. for a resistor instead of a positive slope line I get a negative slope line. Does anyone have a clue whats going on? I can post screenshots from the scope later.

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2015, 07:16:34 am »
If anyone wants to see the user manual, service manual or schematics for the TR210 I will be happy to provide them as I have the full set. Huntron provided the schematic and offer excellent support for their older products.

Aurora, I know that this thread is  a bit old and it spans a few years. Is it still possible to get the TR210 schematic from you? I have the user and service manuals.

If you can't post it here, PM me and I'll give you an email address to send it to.

Thanks.

Offline OiD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2016, 12:05:30 am »
Hey alan,
Thanks for the video, I've never stopped to think how the component test function worked (well actually I had, but I would've never of guessed it was so simple!). Brilliant! Just found out my DSO also has an XY mode (apparently called "versus"). Will miss the CRO built in tester... :P

I guess I'll need to find a nice little trasnformer and a write it down as another little project  :-+ I wonder if a variable frequency would be usefull, 50, 60, 100, 120, 400, 1000Hz... :-/O

Cheers!

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2018, 11:30:53 pm »
just came accross this shame the link for the pc software is dead.

Offline qu1j0t3

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2018, 11:45:06 pm »
the link for the pc software is dead.

If you mean Steber's software? It's here: http://www.arrl.org/forum/topics/view/153

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2018, 12:13:15 am »
In the early eighties i worked at HP  Joseph Street repair and calibration facility in Blackburn ( a suburb of Melbourne).

A note came out showing how to use a HP45 wallwart to knock up a curve tracer simply using the transformer and a current limiting resistor.

Offline microMANIAC

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2018, 12:39:08 am »
My Elektor (Heathkit) Transistor curve tracer, from 1980 I think, was my favourite test tool by far !!
I had the Hamegs, but they were no where near as nice. Being able to drive a transistor to destruction,
observing failure mode, then just backing off to recover ... multiple traces, sure miss it.

Anybody else here miss some of those old Heathkit beasties?

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2018, 01:50:37 am »
Yup, built it in 1974 from this Popular Electronics Magazine.  And...I still have it...still works.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf