Author Topic: DIY Strobe light  (Read 1963 times)

Offline S1CoTopic starter

DIY Strobe light
« on: November 20, 2015, 06:41:51 pm »
Hey guys, so recently I decided I want to build my own Strobe light and after I've made my quick prototype along with my Arduino Mega and a Breadboard, I decided it's time go to PCB board and to go bigger as well. See the problem is that while I had my 15 LED's on my Breaboard it was simple enough wiring them up, I just used my 1-221 (220 ohm) resistor chips to wire them up individually, and the results were good enough. Now though my PCB will have 44 of those LED's, plus another 22 (A 11 line of Green and a 11 line of Blue) LED's, just to act as an additional effect. So, I want to be able to control my 44 White LED's and to be able to control the 11 Green and Blue LED's separately using my Arduino this time. Now the thing that worries me is that I don't have 66 resistors and also that my USB Arduino wouldn't be able to produce enough current for all of the LED's. I'm thinking I could probably use a Transistor along with a 9V Battery or a 12V Adapter or anything like that, but, do I still have to buy 66 Resistors to go along all of the LED's? Or is there perhaps a more clever way to at least get rid of some of the resistors (Ideally all of them)? And also what would have to be my wiring configuration? If anyone ever done any projects like that, would you please provide me with some sort of reference or anything like that? Thank you so much guys.

Re: DIY Strobe light
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 06:49:40 pm »
Some additional information of the LED's.

Offline rgawron

• Contributor
    • blog
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 08:15:07 pm »
There are better ways (look for LED current driver), but below circuit will do the job I think, each such transistor per each color of LEDs. The transistor type on my picture was chosen randomly, don't suggest on that.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:59:33 pm by rgawron »

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 08:47:26 pm »
Thank you so much I'll start getting into that right now and see what I can figure out!

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 09:22:13 pm »
Sadly, while it works for the smaller branches, the white branch is what I'm still having problems with.

Offline rgawron

• Contributor
    • blog
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 09:29:53 pm »
White LEDs require higher voltage, try to use two LEDs in series instead of three.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:43:28 pm by rgawron »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf