Author Topic: DMM recommendations for my lab at home  (Read 8375 times)

Offline DelillusionsTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: DMM recommendations for my lab at home
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 06:56:15 pm »
Thank you Lightages! I suspected that, but it's better to ask.
Correct me if I'm wrong but there are two main difference between the D and E model.
The E has a built in Power meter, which can measure power up to 2500W, but it can measure power continuously for ~1100W. Abow that it can only do it for 5sec, otherwise it will be fried. It's because the 71 series can measure current continuously up to 5A. Above 5A you can only mesure it for 5sec and then you have to wait a few minutes.
The D model doesn't have the power mode, but it has a very much larger internal log capacity. Which is useless, since I can make a device, that reads the measured data from the IR LED and logs it into an SD card. It became an almost infinite logger, it's just that I can't read it back with the DMM.

Knowing the leaders of my country and the Duty Office they will find out something to make me pay something more, but besides that if I can get it inside my country, the any warranty issues could be handled more easily, but that is just a small issue.

I've also read, that some Uni-t DMMs continuity test isn't the best, but in some cases it's because the test leads have some kind of coating on them. Properly cleaning them or using another another trustworty lead can make it better. It won't make it faster, but I could make it better.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:13:04 pm by Delillusions »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 08:56:46 pm »
With all your concerns, just get the BM827. I can assure you it is high quality, fast, and safely built.

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
DMM recommendations for my lab at home
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 01:48:12 pm »
Sorry, I misread your original post.  If you want a handheld, I can also highly recommend Brymen, I own two 867s, and I don't think you'll find better bang for the buck outside that brand.

You *might* have trouble finding someone to sell you one.  I bought mine from TME in Poland, shipping was something like $20 to Canada and you can look at their site for prices; I have no idea if they sell the particular Brymen meter you want.

[edit: typos]
To be responsible, but never to let fear stop the imagination.

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
To be responsible, but never to let fear stop the imagination.

Offline DelillusionsTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 03:11:52 pm »
Which one do you recommend from these two Brymens?
BM-257
BM-857A

I saw Dave's teardown video.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 07:06:22 pm »
The BM857A is a much more capable meter than the BM257. The one thing it lacks is temperature measurement. If that is not important to you then get the BM857A. If you want temperature, the BM257 has it but its TRMS measurement is AC only as is the BM827.

IMHO, get the BM857A. You can always buy a cheap temperature meter later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf