Author Topic: Do I need a scope??? Pliz  (Read 851 times)

Offline smid1584Topic starter

• giup viec nha
Do I need a scope??? Pliz
« on: October 08, 2017, 07:18:30 am »
Hi. Please excuse the total noob question...

I've got a security background (things like network and web application defense/hacking), but I'm fairly new to the world of hardware. I have a basic understanding of PCBs, components and ICs, and have a tiny bit of experience with logic analyzers. I'd like to set up a lab and I'm wondering if I'll be able to get by without a scope for a while.

Aside from normal soldering setup, I have a decent low-end multimeter and I'm planning to buy a Saleae 8-channel logic analyzer (not the pro version) and a universal device programmer (recommendations welcome--looking in ~$50-$75). I'm mainly interested in snarfing firmware and analyzing communications between components on embedded devices, and just learning more about electronics in general.

My question is, what types of things might I need a scope for, that I wouldn't be able to do with the things I described above? (Remember, I'm a newb, so the more you can explain it like I'm five, the better...)

Thanks!

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
Re: Do I need a scope??? Pliz
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 07:28:14 am »
A logic analyser will show you the content of a digital signal. A scope will show you the quality - e.g. whether the edges are clean and whether the 1s and 0s are really the voltage you think they are.

Whenever this question is asked here the general consensus is "get a scope". Personally, I'd say wait for a bit. A logic analyser should do for a while. By the time you need a scope you'll have a slightly clearer idea what you need. The chances are that you will get one though and it will be a Rigol DS1054Z.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:31:24 am by Fred27 »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: Do I need a scope??? Pliz
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:44:54 am »
Take a look at the Analog Discovery 2

http://store.digilentinc.com/analog-discovery-2-100msps-usb-oscilloscope-logic-analyzer-and-variable-power-supply/

It covers a lot of the basics and will still be useful if you move on to better equipment. One possible drawback is that it's PC based and not a stand alone device.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf