Author Topic: DO i need Oscilloscope Accessory Kit  (Read 3792 times)

Offline soligenTopic starter

• Contributor
DO i need Oscilloscope Accessory Kit
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:32:23 pm »
I am looking to get an oscilloscope, as as it is my first, I don't know what else I need with it.  I see TEquipment has the DS1054z with an accessory kit:

http://www.tequipment.net/Cal-Test/CT4042/

I don't know how I would use these things yet (much learning to do).  Do I need these for basic usage, or are these things I should pick up later if I end up needing them.

Thanks for any input.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: DO i need Oscilloscope Accessory Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:15:03 pm »
All you need for basic use is included in the box with the scope, no need for any other kits. And over time you will grow a collection of BNC-to-anything cables and adapters.
Alex

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:16:02 pm »
If you find that you need the bits, you can always order them separately later.

You do need to know how to use probes properly and scopes safely. Some useful references are here : https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline MAS3

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:16:56 pm »
You don't need them (yet).
The scope comes with 4 probes, and is ready to be used with them.

The set might come in handy at some time, when you need to connect to some BNC connector, or need to test something with test points relatively wide spread.
But for your first experiences you won't need a set like that.
If you see yourself using this in (near) future, you;d better get it with the scope, it'll save you the shipping costs because you will be over $ 99 if you order them at the same time.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 10:32:30 pm »
There's a good chance that you will eventually have a need for all those parts, but I don't know that it's necessary to get them all at once. The cable with the mini grabbers is something I use occasionally.

The 50 ohm feed-through has uses. They always seem ridiculously expensive to me and for some reason they're hard to find cheap from China on ebay, but I think Rigol has one that's less expensive.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 01:07:14 am »
The kit consists of:

CT2411 Coax Adapter - (f-m-f) Tee
If you are connecting your FG to both the scope and to an external device, this item will come in handy.

CT2939 BNC(f) Adapter - 4mm BPlugs, Black
I have such an adapter but I don't think I've ever connected it to an oscilloscope. It is useful for patching, e.g., a DMM with standard banana jacks on 3/4 inch centers to a BNC cable. You could use it to connect a scope channel to a power supply output, I suppose, then use the "T" and the cable with mini-clips to connect the power supply on to your device under test.

CT2942-120 BNC (m) Cable Assembly -
This is your basic BNC "patch cord". Useful for connecting instruments together, like when you want to connect your FG directly to the scope. I've found that "you can't be too rich or too thin, or have too many patch cords". Up to a point of course.

CT2944 BNC 50ohm Feed-Thru Term - (m-f)
This is probably the most "necessary" item in the kit, along with the patch cord. The Rigol DS1054Z does not have 50 ohm impedance inputs, they are fixed at 1 megohm. So if you are doing quantitative measurements on some device that has 50 ohm impedance outputs, like most function generators, this adapter will enable you to get more "honest" amplitude readings. I have one of these and use it often enough so that I generally keep it attached to one of the scope's inputs (easier to find it that way), but mine is the Rigol branded kind, 18 dollars from TEquipment.

CT3230-100 Cable, BNC - MiniP Clips -
This item would be more useful for your FG than for the scope. Why would someone use this with an oscilloscope, instead of just an ordinary probe set to 1x? I dunno.
(I can use my imagination and come up with scenarios where this would be used, but they are rather fanciful, as above for patching a PSU to both scope and DUT.)

So in my opinion it's a mixed bag. The items are "nice to have", and when you need them, you do need them. But do you need them now, and is it worth the extra money for you to get them now? Only you can answer those questions.

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline bcbeck96

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 01:18:17 am »
I have a similar kit to this for my 1054z, the only thing that is actually really useful is the 50ohm terminator. The rest I have used, but didn't really need to have. The stock probes would have worked fine.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 11:20:28 am »
The items are all useful at some point, but you can get them much cheaper on ebay.

Offline soligenTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 02:49:52 pm »
Thanks for all your input.  I will go with just the scope for now, and add on later.  Fits the budget better this way too.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 06:06:18 pm »
Thanks for all your input.  I will go with just the scope for now, and add on later.  Fits the budget better this way too.
I wouldn't get the cheap BNC-minigrabber leads, though. I'd grab some of these before they sell out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PIECES-JOHNSON-BNC-MALE-MINI-HOOK-NEW-18-Inch-QUALITY-E-Z-HOOK-POMONA-/151591325487?hash=item234b8c0f2f

I got a bunch of leads from that vendor, it's all NOS Pomona, and the quality is just miles ahead of the cheap chinese crap. In particular, cheap minigrabbers are just awful. The Pomonas are top notch. (If you're outside USA, ignore eBay's postage calculation and contact the vendor. He'll find a cheaper option for you.)

The following users thanked this post: kreyszig

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf