Author Topic: Does a silicone wire last?  (Read 3452 times)

Offline CharkelTopic starter

• Contributor
Does a silicone wire last?
« on: April 26, 2018, 05:21:41 pm »
I love silicone wiring but it's quite expensive. I was thinking about contacting some chinese supplier to buy a big roll of it. But only if it will last me for years without getting hard or something.

Old soldering irons still has pretty good feel to the cable so I wonder..

Anyone have any experience? :)

Offline Chriss

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Does a silicone wire last?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 07:35:32 pm »
I used in the past few years ago some silicone wire from China and I can say that's crap.

1. The copper inside the wire is not the diameter what it should be,  also not copper,  it's some sort of aluminum or so.
2. It smells horrible bad. No way to get it out from my service room.
3. After a while the "silicone" coating start to be sticky and slicky.
4. After a year or so the "silicone" is still in good shape but start to cracking.

All in one word,  pay more and buy good stuff.

I can't agree does all the china's silicone wires are same ( assume not ) but I surely won't experiment any more..

Sent from my GT-I8260 using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: BergRD

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 01:51:42 am »
Good silicon wire shouldn't degrade over time ,Well maybe a 100 years .Not sure where Chriss got  his/hers but I've been getting silcone wire form Chinese suppliers for some time and its been of very good quality.Mine is marked with the rated voltage and temperature and gauge .If it isn't marked I would just leave it.

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 06:04:52 am »
Unless you have a known supplier in China, I would not consider doing this. Buying from random vendors at Ali Express will most likely not give the results you want in this case.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 06:13:45 am »
Not sure where Chriss got  his/hers but I've been getting silcone wire form Chinese suppliers for some time and its been of very good quality.

Could you share you supplier's name? Thanks!

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 10:02:34 am »
Check Franky's sales thread (he is iloveelectronics here on the forum). http://stores.ebay.com/99centHobbies

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 03:12:58 am »
I just use Ebay because of a lack of local supply .Lots of places to get silicon wire .I've never had a problem with bad insulation or incorrect gauge.
But if you wold like further knowledge on wire coatings  ,this may help .http://www.usawire-cable.com/pdfs/wire%20knowledge.pdf
I added a picture of what I get. If your over heating wire it will degrade faster .Maybe you need to use a lower gauge.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 11:49:08 am »
I used in the past few years ago some silicone wire from China and I can say that's crap.

1. The copper inside the wire is not the diameter what it should be,  also not copper,  it's some sort of aluminum or so.
4. After a year or so the "silicone" is still in good shape but start to cracking.

I can't agree does all the china's silicone wires are same ( assume not ) but I surely won't experiment any more..

Ok so the quality can vary a lot and some cheat with bad 'copper'. Seems china. Thx for the warning. :-+
But what about if I really found the real serious company supplying major brands or something.

Good silicon wire shouldn't degrade over time ,Well maybe a 100 years .Not sure where Chriss got  his/hers but I've been getting silcone wire form Chinese suppliers for some time and its been of very good quality.Mine is marked with the rated voltage and temperature and gauge .If it isn't marked I would just leave it.
So it should be good with a correctly made cable. With grade A silicone and copper. Will look deeply into which manufacturer I choose.

Shouldn't be to hard getting one big roll as a ''sample'' from a good manufacturer if I say i represent a big factory and I'm interested in buying tons for the future if the sample roll checks out as A++ grade after 'lab testing' silicone and copper. That would make me able to get one roll from a A-grade factory ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:55:40 am by Charkel »

Offline Chriss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 12:08:41 pm »

Ok so the quality can vary a lot and some cheat with bad 'copper'. Seems china. Thx for the warning. :-+
But what about if I really found the real serious company supplying major brands or something.

So it should be good with a correctly made cable. With grade A silicone and copper. Will look deeply into which manufacturer I choose.

Shouldn't be to hard getting one big roll as a ''sample'' from a good manufacturer if I say i represent a big factory and I'm interested in buying tons for the future if the sample roll checks out as A++ grade after 'lab testing' silicone and copper. That would make me able to get one roll from a A-grade factory ;)
Yea.
Actually your idea is one of tons of ideas how to check or get for free something.

Of course there are good suppliers from China too, but I have bad experience with, and the major problem for me is I won't spend any more my money and time for cheap crap. A better choice for me is to give out a bit more money and finish the job.

I must say, sometime I'm also trying suppliers and searching for good quality and price balanced.
That can end up in lucy and in disappointment, like every games.
Sometime you winner some time luser....

Make a decision,  do you need the cable quickly and for finishing jour project or you investigate the market... :-)

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 01:53:05 pm »
*Oops wrong, fixing*

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 01:55:50 pm »

Yea.
Actually your idea is one of tons of ideas how to check or get for free something.

Of course there are good suppliers from China too, but I have bad experience with, and the major problem for me is I won't spend any more my money and time for cheap crap. A better choice for me is to give out a bit more money and finish the job.

I must say, sometime I'm also trying suppliers and searching for good quality and price balanced.
That can end up in lucy and in disappointment, like every games.
Sometime you winner some time luser....

Make a decision,  do you need the cable quickly and for finishing jour project or you investigate the market... :-)

I have no intention of getting anything for free. But it can always be hard to get a big supplier to send you one roll of the goods.

I don't really need it. I just want it if I would need and and so that I ALWAYS can use silicone. Currently I pay like 8 bux per meter 1,5mm wire so I can only use it project requires (moving parts etc)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:58:27 pm by Charkel »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 08:26:09 pm »

That doesn't sound like real silicone. It was probably something cheaper, such as an organic synthetic rubber which will oxidise over time and become tacky.

Offline Chriss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 08:29:53 pm »
That crap was named as silicone but actually was something like you say.

If somebidy have a safe and good quality china supplier link pls. share. ..

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 09:51:34 pm »
FYI, even quality silicone feels sticky with age, especially if it’s been cleaned. The fix is to replace what the manufacturers themselves use: talcum powder. Dust the cable with talc and it totally loses the tackiness.

The following users thanked this post: Charkel

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 09:28:16 am »
FYI, even quality silicone feels sticky with age, especially if it’s been cleaned. The fix is to replace what the manufacturers themselves use: talcum powder. Dust the cable with talc and it totally loses the tackiness.
Thx for the pro tip!

Anyone has a good way if testing a piece if it's real silicone or fake?

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 09:50:40 am »
Anyone has a good way of testing a piece if it's real silicone or fake?

Touching it with the hot tip of your soldering iron should tell.

(Cheap replacement materials will usually be thermoplastics, which will melt. And as long as it is heat-resistant and nicely flexible, I wouldn't mind much whether it is silicone or something else...)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:53:23 am by ebastler »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf