Author Topic: Does anybody have experience with Zigbee (especially application profiles)  (Read 1194 times)

Offline SpikeeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
So... i'm a bit confused about all this zigbee application profile stuff.

Is this assumption correct?:
All the Zigbee profiles are just pre-agreed upon standard messages (for example smart energy) going over "normal" zigbee (pro) protocol.
And any Zigbee (pro) device can receive and "see" those messages as long as it has the password/correct pan ID/ channel/ encryption key ?

A module I found was pre-approved platform for smart energy but the AT commands didn't seem "special". And just had unicast,broadcast and various rf parameters.
So I assume when you write firmware to use such module you have the "construct" the packet yourself following the smart energy Vx.x specifications.

Anybody here that has experience with these profiles ?
Thanks
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
All the Zigbee profiles are just pre-agreed upon standard messages (for example smart energy) going over "normal" zigbee (pro) protocol.
Pretty much. It is a bit more complicate that this in real life.

And any Zigbee (pro) device can receive and "see" those messages as long as it has the password/correct pan ID/ channel/ encryption key ?
And as long as stack does not kill them because they are not registered top be handled by the application.

A module I found was pre-approved platform for smart energy but the AT commands didn't seem "special". And just had unicast,broadcast and various rf parameters.
What mode is this? In order to handle standard profile messages, the stack must support ZigBee Cluster Library (ZCL).

So I assume when you write firmware to use such module you have the "construct" the packet yourself following the smart energy Vx.x specifications.
It is not easy to "construct" those frames. They are not simple messages, but rather complicated system of requests and responses. And core that handles all that stuff can be very complicated.

Anybody here that has experience with these profiles ?
I do, but I doubt you need SE profile. If you are not a utility company, then forget about it, SE requires Certicom library to do eliptic curve key negotiation and you are not getting that.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Spikee

Offline SpikeeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Thank you for the reply. This application needs the se profile so I'll just look for a module that comes with the stack I need.

Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Thank you for the reply. This application needs the se profile so I'll just look for a module that comes with the stack I need.
I doubt you will find any. And even if you do, they still will not work with real SE networks, since provisioning has to happen on the utility company side first. And they obviously will not provision some unknown device.
Alex

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
The more recent applications specs from Zigbee are completely independent of the radio protocol. They are application message definitions which are run over various forms of IP network as well as Zigbee.

Watch out with the Smart Energy Profiles. Version 2 isn't an upgrade of version 1. There is little compatibility between them, and they are now being treated as two separate development paths.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf