Author Topic: Does impedance affects chance of arc/corona discharge?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline fonographTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Does impedance affects chance of arc/corona discharge?
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:54:53 pm »
Imagine electrode that is connected to  AC source that outputs sinewave at fixed voltage level.If the voltage gets high enough,arc or corona discharge will happen.

I have read that maximum power transfer occurs when the impedance of source matches the impedance of load,I remember that voltage source doesnt like if its output impedance is higher than impedance of load becose the voltage at the load decreases as result.

Impedance of free space is 120ohm,air is nearly same impedance as free space,for all practical purposes its same.My question is,does the output impedance of the AC source matters when  it comes the value of threshold voltage at which arcing or corona happens?

For example,our source with voltage X,is it possible,that at certain voltage level,arc will form if its output impedance is low,around 120ohm but dont form at the same voltage level that created arc previously at 120ohm if the output impedance is 10000 ohm? Does lowering the AC source output impedance from large values closer to 120 ohm decreases voltage threshold at which arc happens?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:23:49 pm by fonograph »

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
Re: Does impedance affects chance of arc/corona discharge?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:48:24 pm »
The impedance of free space is more like 377 ohms, not 120; the impedance of twisted pair as used in ethernet cable is close to 120 ohms.

Maximum power transfer does, indeed, occur when the source and load impedance match, but this is not necessarily a desirable goal as it means that half the source voltage is dropped across its own internal resistance/impedance.

The tendency for corona/arcing to occur at a given voltage depends mainly on the gap between the electrodes, of course, as well as the pressure of the gas (if any) and its tendency to emit secondary electrons. This is codified in an equation called "Paschen's Law" and it is surprisingly accurate for a wide range of gases, pressures and electrode distances (IIRC, it does break down - pardon the pun - at really tiny gaps). The graph produced is roughly in the shape of an inverted parabola with a minimum arcing voltage in the range of 1-10 Torr for most gases (where 760 Torr = 1 Atmosphere = 1 Bar (more or less)).

Corona is, essentially, a low current (read: high impedance) "glow" discharge and as such won't be affected too much by the source impedance. Arcing, however, tends to be a much lower impedance type of discharge and so if the source impedance is too high then I would expect that arcing would stop almost immediately after it starts.

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf