Author Topic: Driving a small DC motor directly from a LiPo  (Read 4868 times)

Offline prebsTopic starter

Driving a small DC motor directly from a LiPo
« on: August 16, 2013, 01:26:58 pm »
I remember very vividly a day back in 2008 when a LiPo battery got shorted and exploded. So understandably, im a bit nervous around them. I want to drive a small 5v DC motor, and it would be nice to do this through a 3.7 LiPo battery (motor should work even at 3.7). I am only worried that the motor might draw too much current, and upset the battery. I was thinking of adding a diode between, but would that have any safety effect at all ?

Please advice if I can power a motor from a LiPo battery safely :)

Thanks

Offline cowana

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Driving a small DC motor directly from a LiPo
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:44:06 pm »
Hi prebs

In 99% of cases you'll be fine - a typical DC motor draws <1A, and a typical lipo can happily supply >5A. However it does depend on exactly what motor an battery you're talking about - can we have some more details?

A diode would help slightly in reducing the voltage available to the motor (thus reducing current) - however this isn't a great way to protect the batter as you'll reduce the torque available.  A fuse (or thermistor or polyfuse) would be a much better solution.

Cheers,
Andy

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 01:54:08 pm »
They're not much different than any other type of battery chemistry. Forget the diode, and use a Polyfuse as suggested.
Depending on chemistry, you can draw between 2C and 20C from the LiPO. If you don't know what type of chemistry it is,
be safe and limit it to 2C. The only other precaution you might add, is not to let it drop below ~2.8 - 3.2V under full power.
It just reduces the #cycles a bit. Can you post a pic of the battery?
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline redben

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:29:32 pm »
You should also put a small capacitor in parallel to give more current when the motor is stopped or slowed down. It will help the battery to absorb current spikes and keep everything running with noises as low as possible.
It will also prevent from magnetic and RF issues due to the sparks created at the brushes contacts.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf