Author Topic: LEDs for a slim aquarium lamp  (Read 1650 times)

Offline lilmantisTopic starter

• Contributor
LEDs for a slim aquarium lamp
« on: January 14, 2016, 03:26:16 pm »

Hello everyone.

I want to make a slim aquarium lamp and I  was thinking about using the LM561B from Samsung. These LEDs are rated at 160lm/W, price/lm/W seems OK, CRI is about 80, the only thing that I don't like is that the thermal pad is connected to the cathode. Do you know of any other LEDs that would be better in regard to the characteristics from above?

LM561B from Samsung:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/led/lighting/component/middle-power/lm561b

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
Re: LEDs for a slim aquarium lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 07:29:12 pm »
The tiny LED is in a surface mount package.
Can you solder to it?
Can you attach a heatsink to it?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 12:58:38 am »
Just today, by pure chance, I put together a little board with 16 SMDs LEDs, practically the same as these. I think they're the same size. 

I just used some decent perfboard with plated through-holes, ran a line of solder paste down a row, placed the LEDs and resistors in place (touching where they need to) and then used my cheap Chinese hot air station to reflow it all. Then I ran a bit of thin bus wire to power it and tada! Works perfectly. The plated through-holes wick up all the excess solder, so you don't get shorts even on the heatsink pads. (The 2.54mm spacing of regular perfboard works well for devices around 5mm long like these.)

That said, I only did it for fun. There's little reason to build these yourself when you can just buy LED strips ready made.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 07:42:23 am »
Freshwater or marine? If fresh, will it be a planted tank? If marine, fish only or coral?

Intensity is important, but the spectrum is critical. Just throwing a light over a tank will not cut it, if you care about the livestock. I spent over ten years in the marine aquarium hobby, BTW.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:19:54 pm by MarkS »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf