Author Topic: DSE q1770 PSU  (Read 3409 times)

Offline ChopsticksTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
DSE q1770 PSU
« on: June 17, 2012, 02:13:55 am »
I was going past dick smiths yesterday and on a whim i went it to see if they had any of those $49 bench psu's left and sure enough there was one sitting on the back of a top shelf gathering dust. fantastic i thought so i bought it and took it home, worth nothing there may still be some of these units floating around if anyones keen to go looking.

Anyhow the only issue i have with it so far it that the voltage dial is extremely sensitive as such say im setting it to 5vdc just the slightest movement can increase/decrease that voltage very quickly, so i was wondering if theres a way to somehow change the pot value etc so that its easier to select a voltage, in a perfect world it would have had a rotary encoder in it though i doubt thats a possible mod as im sure the current circuit relies directly on the current pot to adjust resistance etc...

Anyone got one of these units and have any ideas?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: DSE q1770 PSU
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 02:15:21 am »
rip it open, find out its value and throw money at a 5 or 10 turn potentiometer,

Offline ChopsticksTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 02:40:24 am »
i dont know why i didnt think of multi-turn pots...
thanks mate  :)

Online BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 09:02:21 am »
Holy thread revival batman.

I have had one of these power supplies for years now (and for the record I love it). The voltage pot is a 50K linear.

I just finished replacing it with a 5 turn wirewound. RS Part No 460-1950. Because the pot is 22mm you need to remove the top PCB standoff adj the voltage pot to get it to fit. I made a steel washer to sit behind the panel and modified the existing voltage knob to fit. It's not as pretty as it was, but 6V/turn is easier to get control of than 30V across 240 degrees.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:58:01 am »
Forty bucks a pot  :o,  I agree that other than the shit house potentiometers Manson used in these units they are actually not a bad little supply and do the job for most of the lighter tasks, I have two of them and they are probably my most frequently used supplies and have been for many years. I found when the original controls start to fail just the act of touching the outside case of the supply would cause the output to vary dramatically, I was hunting a ten turn 50k for these without any luck but that five turn 50k pot should do nicely.

Online BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 05:01:02 am »
Forty bucks a pot  :o

I gave up buying cheap E-bay components years ago. Yeah its 40 bucks, but I know it's legit, quality and reliable. Free delivery and it was on my door step in 5 days.
I buy most of my stuff through RS these days unless it's not critical where I get it from Altronics.

The 5 turn gives me vaguely 6V/turn and is considerably better for fine control than the technique I developed using my fingernail to knock the serrations on the voltage pot to get fine(ish) control.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 05:55:22 am »
I only paid $49 for mine. Putting a $40 pot in it seems like over capitalising.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf