Author Topic: DSO138 - Went for a Owon VDS1022I instead.  (Read 5605 times)

Offline paulcaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: DSO138
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 02:23:39 pm »
So the VDS1022I arrived.  Had a bit of a faff installing the software as I downloaded it rather than using the coaster that came with it.

Fired it up and probed my little comparator circuit.  After an initial flapping about on my part I figured out the basics.

So I could observe button bounce:

After adding a bypass cap across the microswitch:

Osculation at trigger voltage:

Of interest (maybe), when I run this comparator in a simulator I cannot get it to osculate.  I'm assuming this is due to simulation versus real world.... or the amount of RF and other noise in my man cave, which the oscilloscope also showed, but I didn't capture the waveform image.  I expect the osculation frequency above is the same as the RF noise I seen with an discconected probe earlier.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:30:32 pm by paulca »
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: DSO138 - Went for a Owon VDS1022I instead.
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 03:39:46 pm »
So the VDS1022I arrived.  Had a bit of a faff installing the software as I downloaded it rather than using the coaster that came with it.

Fired it up and probed my little comparator circuit.  After an initial flapping about on my part I figured out the basics.

Well cost aside, that's one advantage of purchasing from the UK - rapid gratification.  :)

The latest version of the S/W, from all reports, should be V1.0.28.

I put together a list of helpful(?) shortcuts a long while back, most of them aren't in the documentation...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-vds1022i-quick-teardown-(versus-the-hantek-6022be)/msg827103/#msg827103

Shout if you find any more.

Of interest (maybe), when I run this comparator in a simulator I cannot get it to osculate.  I'm assuming this is due to simulation versus real world.... or the amount of RF and other noise in my man cave, which the oscilloscope also showed, but I didn't capture the waveform image.  I expect the osculation frequency above is the same as the RF noise I seen with an discconected probe earlier.

Yes, that's where stray capacitances, layout, decoupling, noise etc. (even the effect of a scope probe) come into play ;)
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf