Author Topic: Dumpster Dive Help  (Read 2554 times)

Offline JackoverTopic starter

Dumpster Dive Help
« on: November 07, 2016, 01:26:51 am »
I'm in Sydney as well (like Dave). Where can I find location/information about dumpster sale/shop site?
I googled a lot and all i got is places i go to recyle my dead stuffs, not to buy stuffs from. Anyone from Sydney too got some ideas?
Thanks a lot

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Dumpster Dive Help
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:54:34 am »
There's not a lot that I know of outside the once-in-who-knows-how-long opportunities like the recent Jaycar clearance.

I think there will be barriers to general sale of stuff because of safety and liability issues as well as arrangements with recyclers.

But if you find out any, let me know.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 06:29:03 am »
Amateur radio sales are another source of cheap electronics/equipment.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 07:35:13 am »
Down here in Victoria both council run and privately owned sites are around and I've mentioned them before on the forum without declaring their specific locations, I have way too much stuff as it is and am running short on space so the new rule is nothing comes in unless something goes out, no exceptions. I occasionally might pay a visit to the local sites but only if there is something that I am specifically after such as a cabinet for a power supply or another UPS which are always readily available.

It's a lucky dip as to what you might find and it changes daily, for instance a couple of months back there was a massive load of Lockwood/ Abloy door and window locks along with a huge amount of associated hardware including key blanks available, all new stock and in boxes indicating that a locksmith shop had possibly closed and the remaining stock given to the local council depot. Another time I picked up about $1800 worth of patch panels and hundreds of 3M Cat5 and Cat6 RJ45 sockets all new in packets for $70 for the whole lot, I already had plenty but couldn't leave them there at that price.   

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 09:04:01 am »
Amateur radio sales are another source of cheap electronics/equipment.

Hamfests are mentioned on the weekly national  broadcast http://www.wia.org.au/members/broadcast/wianews/ and also the NSW VK2WI News http://www.arnsw.org.au/html/news_vk2wi.htm

Also check local council websites for hard rubbish collections
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 04:36:03 pm »
Go to all the computer shops you can with an old car/truck and jeans, and give them a hacker-printed biz-card. Say on it something like  we do quick pickup for recycling listing all the stuff you'll take with a few spelling errors. I have a family member (no, he can't spell very well) doing this up here in Canada and he's so busy now, he has to turn them down. A huge amount of the excess I get from him!

This works for him! (happily, my wife stepped-in to stem the tide of electronic junk.. I can never say no..)

(attached pic is from the way things were..)  :-[

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 07:14:42 pm »
Keep in mind the crap that you accumulate will cost real money to dispose of.  Choose carefully!
Even council waste/recycling depots often charge you to drop hazardous or hi-tech items.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf