Author Topic: eBay Desodlering iron tool with EU plugs. Need you expertise.  (Read 904 times)

Offline LeWidgetTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
eBay Desodlering iron tool with EU plugs. Need you expertise.
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:22:54 pm »
Hi guys,

Bought this the other day, and it comes with an EU plug. It also came with an AU adapter.. but.. the EU plug can connect either way into the AU adapter. It doesn't say which pin on the EU plug is Live, and which is Ground, so if I connect it the wrong way into the adapter, the live from the wall socket would go through the ground and possibly damage the device?

I asked the ebay seller.. but pretty sure Chinese, so language barrier was an issue. All they said was "you can use the plug, there is no (ground/Neutral). only 3 legs plugs have this.".

Anyone familiar with this device, or EU/AU plugs ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Soldering-Iron-PCB-Solder-Sucker-Desoldering-Pump-Welding-US-Plug-2in1-Tool-30W/142194689233?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=441262124249&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://imgur.com/a/JwqeAPl

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Re: eBay Desodlering iron tool with EU plugs. Need you expertise.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:46:12 pm »
Measure the resistance between each prong of the plug and the tip of the iron (and any other exposed conductive areas, if any). Neither prong should be connected to anything exposed. If so, it's not going to matter much which way round it is. If that's not good enough for you, you'll have to take it apart and see what goes where.

Offline mvs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:52:10 pm »
Actually it is not allowed to use CEE 7/16 Europlug with devices that have exposed metall parts like this soldering iron.
I would suggest you to replace plug and cable.

Offline LeWidgetTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:05:08 pm »
Measure the resistance between each prong of the plug and the tip of the iron (and any other exposed conductive areas, if any). Neither prong should be connected to anything exposed. If so, it's not going to matter much which way round it is. If that's not good enough for you, you'll have to take it apart and see what goes where.

Thanks Nusa. I probed the Pins and the metal body, but got no reading, it just sits on 1 (regardless of what the DMM is set to). Probing the black alligator clip though, presumably it's to ground the device(?), it reads roughly 005-007 when the DMM is set to 2000ohms

Actually it is not allowed to use CEE 7/16 Europlug with devices that have exposed metall parts like this soldering iron.
I would suggest you to replace plug and cable.

Thanks msv. So I should take it a part, and resolder an AU style cable/plug end ?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:53:11 pm »
Firstly, let's get some terminology straightened out...
There are 3 distinct connections for mains.  They are (1) Active (or Live), (2) Neutral and (3) Earth (or Ground).

The Active and Neutral are connected directly to the mains supply and both should be treated as potentially lethal.  In actual fact, the neutral should be connected to an earthing point somewhere near the distribution transformer - which means there should not be any significant voltage on it when measured with respect to a local earth.  You should NEVER rely on this for any matters of safety, since there are several conditions that can result in voltage on the neutral.

The Earth connection is completely separate.  It is a connection to an earthing rod which has been hammered into the ground somewhere near your meter box.  In years gone by, they used to use a water pipe - but that caused an electrocution risk to plumbers.

Do NOT ever rely on the Earth and Neutral as being identical - especially in regards to safety.

To answer your original question: The element will be isolated from any external metalwork so it doesn't really matter which way the plug is connected.  That alligator clip will be acting as a local earth to the board minimising any risk from static electricity and induced currents - but that is all.  Do not ever think that this thin cable or clip are capable of acting as a safety earth.  Even if attached to a proper, adequate earthing point (which is often not the case), they are far too flimsy.

While rewiring the unit to have a 3 pin mains plug and proper earthing could be worthwhile, there is not a lot of room inside these things for such engineering changes and I would not feel comfortable advising someone to try it unless they have some experience with mains.  Since I get the feeling you don't have such experience, my suggestion is to not try it.

The following users thanked this post: LeWidget, michalism

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf