Author Topic: [Closed]: EE career related questions  (Read 2175 times)

Offline vynncentgmTopic starter

[Closed]: EE career related questions
« on: September 15, 2016, 11:50:04 pm »
In my Intro to Engineering & Design class we are working on a assignment that involves researching a career related to STEM. Obviously, I had chose Electrical Engineering (as I am very interested in the career as it is). Is it possible that somebody could provide an answer to the following:
  • What are the skill and characteristics of a person successful in this career?
  • Are there any Professional Associations pertaining to the job?

Also, any extra information would be helpful.

Thank you

Vynncent
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:01:16 pm by vynncentgm »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: EE career related questions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 12:02:55 am »
What are the skill and characteristics of a person successful in this career?

Part of it is the ability to adequately research existing knowledge on the topic, so that they learn the fastest, don't waste other people's time with repeat questions/answers, can indicate how they have done that, and thence to ask interesting, pointed new questions.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 12:24:29 am »
In my Intro to Engineering & Design class we are working on a assignment that involves researching a career related to STEM. Obviously, I had chose Electrical Engineering

It should be pointed out that Electrical Engineering is a massively diverse field.
What makes people successful in one area of EE may not make necessarily them successful in another.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 12:47:57 am »
It should be pointed out that Electrical Engineering is a massively diverse field.

I would like to know about Electronic Engineering, specifically the field regarding electronic devices and circuits.

Vynncent

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 01:05:44 am »
In my Intro to Engineering & Design class we are working on a assignment that involves researching a career related to STEM. Obviously, I had chose Electrical Engineering (as I am very interested in the career as it is). Is it possible that somebody could provide an answer to the following:
  • What are the skill and characteristics of a person successful in this career?
  • Are there any Professional Associations pertaining to the job?

Also, any extra information would be helpful.

Obviously you can Google the second question, so we don't need to answer that for you here. So I will give some thoughts about the first question.

I am a chemical engineer, not an electrical or electronic engineer, but I think the general characteristics of a successful engineer apply to all engineering disciplines.

Some characteristics would be:

- An insatiable curiosity. A desire to find things out, to discover how things work, and a habit of researching things--looking things up and finding things out for yourself without waiting for others to tell you

- An ability to conceptualize and think in the abstract; to be able to take complex things and reduce them to their fundamentals, ignoring unnecessary details

- Creativity; an ability and a desire to create new things, to be inventive and imaginative, a willingness to experiment without fear of failure

- Attention to detail; a recognition that a missed detail can cause an expensive failure, therefore a desire to be accurate and get things right

There are more fundamental things of course that you can find by Googling, such capability in mathematics, science and related subjects, but I have listed above some of the less obvious attributes that make for a good engineer.

The following users thanked this post: vynncentgm

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 01:03:33 pm »
One problem facing most engineers is getting along with non-engineers.  It isn't easy!  Sometimes you will swear their approach to problem solving looks a lot like 'random walk'.

Obviously, one of the big organizations for electronic engineers is the IEEE (there are subgroups for electrical engineers as well).  Since you can't do electronic engineering without also being competent as a code wienie, the ACM is another organization.

Re: [Closed]: EE career related questions
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 02:01:51 pm »
Thank you to everyone who had replied.

Vynncent

Offline Syntax_Error

• Regular Contributor
Re: [Closed]: EE career related questions
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 03:09:43 pm »
As I see you are in the United States, don't forget the National Society of Professional Engineers, or NSPE. If you only know one society, this should be it, as they are involved in the licensing path of engineers in the United States, whereas the IEEE, while more specifically targeted toward your career path, is not involved in licensing.

Granted, as I'm sure many are going to point out, professional licensing is frequently not required to be a successful electronic engineer, I still feel it worth mentioning.
It's perfectly acceptable to not know something in the short term. To continue to not know over the long term is just laziness.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf