Author Topic: Electronic Components  (Read 3157 times)

Offline GuardianElectronicDudeTopic starter

Electronic Components
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:31:21 am »
What is the best place to get electronic components other then scrapping them?

I live in the United States if that helps
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:41:06 am by GuardianElectronicDude »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Re: Electronic Components
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:40:11 am »
These two search sites will look at your major players that you can purchase with confidence that you'll get the right part instead of a knock off.
http://octopart.com/
http://www.findchips.com/

But if you want them cheap Ebay, then again you don't know if they are knockoffs or not.

Aliexpress is a good source so is purchasing from some Chinese websites directly but again, you don't know if they are the real thing or not and shipping usually takes a bit longer, although to the US from China or Hong Kong by regular post usually takes less than 2 weeks (8 to 10 days average I think).

But knowing where you are located might help others respond with better details than these.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:41:54 am »
I recommend Tayda.  I think they are technically based in Thailand but in the US they ship from Colorado, so you don't have to deal with customs if you make a large purchase.  "Like" their facebook page and once a month they post a 15% discount code. It pretty much will cover shipping. Standard shipping usually takes about a week.

The absolute cheapest way to get parts is from China via AliExpress, Taobao, or Ebay. But Figure on waiting a month before it arrives.  I usually only use China for one off items that may be several dollars each.  Stuff that sells on Sparkfun for $15 can be obtained through Aliexpress for a dollar or two usually.

Tayda is the perfect place for stocking up on passives, transistors, jelly-bean parts.  LEDs are typically less than 5 cents each. Stuff like 555 timers are around 12 cents each. Transistors are a few cents each. 74HC595 shift registers run about 24 cents each.
Tayda has a minimum purchase of $5 and shipping for $5 worth of parts will be around $1.50 or almost free with the monthly discount code.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:45:11 am »
Digikey or Mouser are both "real" distributors of a huge range of 1st-line quality components at pretty reasonable prices; call them "hobbyist neutral."
Adafruit and Sparkfun are "hobbyist friendly."  In addition to parts, they have breakout boards and software help and stuff.  You pay with higher prices (especially for breakout boards) and smaller selection.
Electronics Goldmine, All Electronics, and BG Micro are among my favorite "surplus" dealers; you can get some great deals on rather "generic" parts (when a "general purpose NPN switching transistor, approximately like a 2n4401" is good enough.)  Good places to buy some of the stuff that is traditionally irrationally expensive when you buy brand-name components (like connectors or switches.)  Dipmicro is somewhat similar, but in between the hobbyist-friendly and surplus categories.
Assorted components can be ordered direct from China, via eBay or some other "storefronts."  A bit "sketchy" in several ways, but ... really cheap.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:49 pm »
Mainstream suppliers that are viable for hobbyists:
Newark
Allied Electronics
Digikey
Mouser

Hobbyist/maker oriented:
Jameco (not a huge selection or the best prices, but can be useful from time to time).
Skycraft Surplus (good for things such as wire without having to buy an entire roll, as well as other odds & ends).

Large distributors (aimed at production = sell in bulk, but can get occasional items, such as T&M gear or accessories):
Future Electronics

Tools and Supplies (solder, flux, wick, wipes, orange sticks, ESD mat & supplies, tools, ... types of stuff):
All-Spec
Stanley Supply

Other sources, particularly tools & equipment:
TEquipment.net (they offer a 6% discount for EEVBlog members; contact via email or phone for code; Rigol dealer)
MCM Electronics

Wiring & Terminals (also crimp & strip tools):
Waytek Wire

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:08:05 pm »
Oh yeah, Jameco sometimes puts stuff on clearance that can be useful, like LED Matrcies.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline denelec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 09:35:25 pm »
If you're into robotics...
http://www.robotshop.com/

They sell robots and robots parts (sensors, microcontrollers, motors, gears, etc...)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf