Author Topic: eMMC - how to read files from it  (Read 2785 times)

Offline JaneTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
eMMC - how to read files from it
« on: September 28, 2017, 08:20:39 pm »
Does anyone know how I can read files from eMMC chip? Yes, I use a programmer but it reads raw bytes only. I need a software that can tells that here starts  the first file saved by user , here the second and so on. In other words the software omits system data and makes  output easy readable. Does anything like this exists?
Or how can I find the start/end of each file?
Thank you

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
Re: eMMC - how to read files from it
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:28:01 pm »
eMMC device is just raw memory storage like an flash memory in an SD card.  You need to format it, unless you are writing raw information.  Once it is formatted, it can be accessed using an SD card interface.  If you google, you will find some information on how to open an SD card and replace the existing memory device with your own eMMC device, but you will need excellent soldering skills as eMMC devices are packaged in BGA.  Once you make it physically accessible, you can mount it to your system and read its content.  If the eMMC chip is soldered in a board, you will need to unsolder it to read the content.  eMMC protocol analyzers are very expensive (over US$ 5000).

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:16:51 pm »
If you already read the raw contents of the chip, then you can just mount the volume in Linux, provided that it was formatted in a standard way.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: amyk

Offline JaneTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:15:10 am »
@ataradov: Can you please provide further details?Yes, If I have  the raw contents of the chip how can I mount the volume in Linux?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:17:31 am »
Depends on how exactly this drive was formatted and what file systems are used.

In general, read the manual for a 'mount' command. But if it has actual DOS partition table or some other additional data, then you may need to strip that out.

Can you post first 1K of the dump?
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf