Author Topic: Looking for an EPROM Programmer for M27C322 DIP42  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Mikek400Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Looking for an EPROM Programmer for M27C322 DIP42
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:12:49 am »
Sorry for such a beginner question, I am just getting my first programmer.

How difficult would it be to connect a M27C322 EPROM to a TL866 or an SP8-A programmer?

If its not really possible, does anyone have a suggestion on an inexpensive eprom programmer which is capable of programming them?

I'd prefer to get a USB programmer, but it seems that the only inexpensive solution is using a Willem parallel port EPROM programmer. Just seems like that device has many problems and can be quite a pain to get to work correctly.. I don't really miss the days of using the LPT port for anything other than printing.. Actually, now I think about it, it was a pain for that sometimes too. haha
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:18:39 am by Mikek400 »

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: Looking for an EPROM Programmer for M27C322 DIP42
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 10:14:58 am »
What is the programmer, model, vendor....?

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 10:21:41 am »
What is the programmer, model, vendor....?

Regards, Dana.

Oops. Sorry, copy and pasting things I erased the model number.

I was wondering how difficult it would be to get it to program on a TL866  or possibly a SP8-A.   
I don't have a programmer yet, but am trying to decide what to get.  (I actually placed an order for a TL866 but canceled it once I realized I may not be able to do what I want with it)

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 10:36:11 am »
The Tl866 only has 40 pins, so it can't directly program a 42 pin IC. You could build a one-off programmer for this part, or build an adapter to program in segments (i.e. 8Mbit at a time, re-routing address pins to the Tl866).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 11:13:39 am »
The Tl866 only has 40 pins, so it can't directly program a 42 pin IC. You could build a one-off programmer for this part, or build an adapter to program in segments (i.e. 8Mbit at a time, re-routing address pins to the Tl866).

I will be completely honest here, I have never used a programmer before and I am really just getting started into learning about electronics.
I'm pretty good at figuring out how things work though..   I can understand what you are saying about re routing the address pins and seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to get it working.   Once I have the hardware in hand I guess I will look at pinouts and see what  can do. 

On the other hand, I wouldn't even know where to start with building a one off programmer unfortunately.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:15:34 am by Mikek400 »

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 11:23:48 am »
This might be of use - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25714

Note that EEPROM programming is actually pretty simple, provide address, data, and
pulse the HV line to the chip for a time period, then verify. You could do this in basic
(if you do not know C) on a number of UPs.

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 12:11:11 pm »
If it's just a one-off for a few EPROMs, why not asking someone with a professional programmer (>40 pins)? 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf