Author Topic: Equivalent components  (Read 10555 times)

Offline SavethedayTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • hobby technician
Equivalent components
« on: November 20, 2016, 01:00:28 am »
Hi

I have a very common question. How do you choose equivalent components? What facts and points have to be considered? Are there any equivalent list or website or something like that? Ok. I know for some IC's we could choose same end numbers.
for example 555 timer LM555 or NE555 etc

but

I need a ICL7107CPL1 https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj3vfqFjrbQAhVFKcAKHaZ4B2EQFggjMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.intersil.com%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2FIntersil%2Fdocuments%2Ficl7%2Ficl7106-07-07s.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHxERnga14dj4SjaYRiHy8OooKCeA&sig2=nMxs-YVJKgAFsImpqbTH8A&bvm=bv.139250283,d.ZGg(Digit, LCD/LED Display, A/D Converter)

but I found in local store ICL7117RCPL https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/ICL7116-ICL7117.pdf
There are some small differences.
Should I use instead of that one?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 01:03:52 am by Savetheday »

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Equivalent components
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:27:54 am »
Your question can`t be answered that easily since the possibility to replace one part with another is always dependant on the circuit you intend to use the part in.

As for the equivalent lists: I have some books pointing out equivalent components, but those are quite old. I would guess that there are also more modern ways to find equivalent parts online, but personally I don`t know about those, since I realised quite early that the above stated is the way to go - analyze your circuit and judge by yourself what specifications you need for your part and search for one at the known manufacturers websites or your favorised part vendor.
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

The following users thanked this post: Savetheday

• Regular Contributor
  • hobby technician
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 03:54:46 pm »
I see.

I would like to give a try some of pcb schematics that I already found in online but most of the time I screw up in the middle of the project.Because of some component are not available in local shops or something  I try didn't work. I know you may order every components online.But I don't like that way.And some of the time I have already have equivalent one in my toolbox.

This is the project I'm working on.
http://members.shaw.ca/swstuff/esrmeter.html

What about small passive components like 2N2222 NPN transistor http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/296640.pdf

How do you do if there are not avalible at local shops?

Could we use instead of 2N3904 https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/2N3904.pdf
thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:17:57 pm by Savetheday »

Offline IonizedGears

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 04:29:17 pm »
If you want to replace a component with another there are a few things you need to check:

Are the pinouts the same?
Are the power dissipation capabilities the same?
Is this replacement as fast as the original?
Basically the specific characteristics between the replacement and the original which you can find by comparing the datasheets.

Then you need to see the specific requirements of the circuit.
Is the circuit component-critical--If the circuit was designed with specific component characteristics in mind (Hfe/speed for a transistor, ESR for a capacitor, etc.)?
This part requires some circuit analysis.

Sure you may be able to find specific replacement guides online, but you should try to learn how to compare these things. You'll be better for it.

Lets take your latest question on the 2N2222 vs 2N3904.
Note: Both of these are considered to be jellybean components due to the abundance and cheapness. They are interchangeable in most cases.

Both have the common EBC pinout.
Both have 625mW power dissipation (You won't want to actually run them to this point w/o a heatsink, but at that point you would move to power transistors)
The main difference is in the collector current.

The 2222 is rated for 1A Ic while the 3904 is rated for 200mA Ic. Generally you don't want to reach these limits for long term reliability so I would bring that down to about 500mA Ic for the 2222 and 100mA on the 3904. At this point you might wonder how they could have the same power dissipation capabilities if their rated collector currents are so different but remember that power = I^2R. Where R is essentially the resistance between the collector and the emitter which relies on the conduction angle (no need to actually know what this is now, just know that if Power=I^2R), then power is at it's minimum when resistance is very high so no current flows, or resistance is very low, where a lot of current flows but based on R being very low, power dissipation is pretty low compared to when the transistor is "half-on" where the maximum power dissipation occurs. So power dissipation is based on more factors than just rated current handling. You might have already known this, but I like explaining things and it tied in with the topic ;)

Also, if they aren't available at local shops, just buy them off of Ebay, Mouser, Digikey, etc. Shipping can be high so people like to make large orders at a time to save on shipping from single suppliers like Mouser or Digikey.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:33:12 pm by IonizedGears »
I am an EE with interests in Embedded, RF, Control Systems, and Nanotech.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 06:19:33 pm »

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 07:30:22 pm »
You are planning to make a very old circuit that uses an old LED display that eats batteries. For many years a multimeter has used an LCD display that uses very low power so its battery lasts a long time.
The circuit for a modern multimeter also shuts it off if it is not being used.

• Regular Contributor
  • hobby technician
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 05:24:36 pm »
If you want to replace a component with another there are a few things you need to check:

Are the pinouts the same?
Are the power dissipation capabilities the same?
Is this replacement as fast as the original?
Basically the specific characteristics between the replacement and the original which you can find by comparing the datasheets.

Then you need to see the specific requirements of the circuit.
Is the circuit component-critical--If the circuit was designed with specific component characteristics in mind (Hfe/speed for a transistor, ESR for a capacitor, etc.)?
This part requires some circuit analysis.

Sure you may be able to find specific replacement guides online, but you should try to learn how to compare these things. You'll be better for it.

Lets take your latest question on the 2N2222 vs 2N3904.
Note: Both of these are considered to be jellybean components due to the abundance and cheapness. They are interchangeable in most cases.

Both have the common EBC pinout.
Both have 625mW power dissipation (You won't want to actually run them to this point w/o a heatsink, but at that point you would move to power transistors)
The main difference is in the collector current.

The 2222 is rated for 1A Ic while the 3904 is rated for 200mA Ic. Generally you don't want to reach these limits for long term reliability so I would bring that down to about 500mA Ic for the 2222 and 100mA on the 3904. At this point you might wonder how they could have the same power dissipation capabilities if their rated collector currents are so different but remember that power = I^2R. Where R is essentially the resistance between the collector and the emitter which relies on the conduction angle (no need to actually know what this is now, just know that if Power=I^2R), then power is at it's minimum when resistance is very high so no current flows, or resistance is very low, where a lot of current flows but based on R being very low, power dissipation is pretty low compared to when the transistor is "half-on" where the maximum power dissipation occurs. So power dissipation is based on more factors than just rated current handling. You might have already known this, but I like explaining things and it tied in with the topic ;)

Also, if they aren't available at local shops, just buy them off of Ebay, Mouser, Digikey, etc. Shipping can be high so people like to make large orders at a time to save on shipping from single suppliers like Mouser or Digikey.
Great explanation.I must first internalize it.  :phew:

Check transistor replacements at http://alltransistors.com/ and the 2N2222 is an active component, see:
I`m looking that website I think its going to be useful.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-1/active-versus-passive-devices/

Sorry It was a active component.I said wrong.

You are planning to make a very old circuit that uses an old LED display that eats batteries. For many years a multimeter has used an LCD display that uses very low power so its battery lasts a long time.
The circuit for a modern multimeter also shuts it off if it is not being used.
Ok. I am not going to build that LCD display meter because of some components that I couldn`t find so I changed that project.There are so many different type of esr meters.Its going to be analog one.

There will be no batteries needed I'm going to use my self made power supply.

One other Issue
could we use 0.47uF 275V instead of 0.47uF 400v ?

This is the last state of my project but it's still dont work :(

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:39:30 pm by Savetheday »

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 05:52:11 pm »
could we use 0.47uF 275V instead of 0.47uF 400v ?

Yes, if it is a X2 capacitor. It will say X2 and have lots of approvals printed on it. You should always use a X2 line rated capacitor on line voltage because you never know hoe that other capacitor has been built

• Regular Contributor
  • hobby technician
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 01:41:46 am »
I have found in my toolbox BC338  http://alltransistors.com/transistor.php?transistor=22966 http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/BC337-193546.pdf

Both (BC338 and 2N222) NPN transistors have same (Forward current transfer ratio) hFE (min 100). However, it didn't work.  :-//

and only remarkable difference is frequency

BC338                                            2N2222
Transition frequency (ft), MHz: 60 ----- Transition frequency (ft), MHz: 250
I am guessing,  I need above or exactly 100 MHz?
By the way Im learning new stuff
Thanks all.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 01:52:22 am by Savetheday »

Offline IonizedGears

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 02:17:41 am »
Could be related to it being a epitaxial transistor, don't know to much about the restrictions with that type of transistor. Did you make sure that you put it in correctly? A quick lookup of the data sheet shows that the pinout of the BC338 is CBE instead of the conventional EBC.
I am an EE with interests in Embedded, RF, Control Systems, and Nanotech.

• Regular Contributor
  • hobby technician
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 09:49:01 pm »
Could be related to it being a epitaxial transistor, don't know to much about the restrictions with that type of transistor. Did you make sure that you put it in correctly? A quick lookup of the data sheet shows that the pinout of the BC338 is CBE instead of the conventional EBC.
I don't know that doesn't change anything either. I also used Zener Diode 1N914 instead of 1N4148. I think both are the same.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 10:45:26 pm »
I don't know what instruments you have available to check/verify what is working or not.  The Zener diode will probably work in place of the 1N4148.

Is your transistor good?  Use a multimeter to check BE, BC and CE continuity.  Should look open CE and like a diode for the other two.  If your meter includes an HFE function use it to verify the transistor still works like a transistor.

Start at the beginning of the circuit and verify that everything is working before the transistor.  Do you have an AC voltage at the output of the first stage.  If you have an oscilloscope or frequency meter check to see if it is near 156 kHz.  Then check for an AC voltage across the test pins.  And so on.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 12:00:00 am »
(1) The 1N914 is not a zener-----it is a small signal diode with virtually identical characteristics to the 1N4148.

(2) The only zener in the circuit is D7 which is used for the 5v supply.

(3)The thing is only running at 156kHz,so ft won't come into it.

(4) In a Common Emitter stage with an unbypassed Emitter resistor,the Gain (A) is (within limits) pretty much independent of transistor characteristics,& is determined by the values of Rc & Re,so in this case,

A= R11/R12,which should give a gain of about 22 (the original schematic says 10.5---go figure!) ???
The 2n3904,or BC338 should work OK,as should a BC107,BC108,BC547,BC548,or even most small signal NPN transistors you might salvage fom an old PCB.

After checking your transistor looks "like a diode" for each of the two junctions,you then have to determine which leads are the Collector & Emitter.
Even if your meter doesn't have a HFE function,you can still check this,as well as whether the thing has gain.

Using your DMM in the "diode check" mode,connect the two device leads which you need to identify to the RED & BLACK  DMM test leads.

Now comes the disgusting part:-

Spit on your finger and touch both the base & the transistor connection which is connected to the RED DMM test lead.
The DMM will give a reading.----write it down.

Swap the Test lead connections & repeat the test--again the DMM will give a reading.
Compare the two readings----the higher (No! it's the lower one--higher current,lower reading) one shows which is the correct connection. :-[ :-[

For an NPN device,the Collector will be the lead connected to the DMM RED  test lead.

To check a PNP device,the polarities are simply reversed.

You have also learnt something--- transistors will work backwards,even if not very well! ;D

The voltage rating of C5 basically depends upon what sort of circuitry you are likely to be testing.
You won't be testing active circuits,so all you normally need is a DC rated device,just in case the caps are still charged.
I think the original guy used an old 400v Poly ester cap because that was what was in his junkbox.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:38:23 pm by vk6zgo »

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 06:01:58 am »

What about small passive components like 2N2222 NPN transistor http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/296640.pdf

A transistor is an active device.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Regular Contributor
  • hobby technician
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 08:09:40 pm »
(1) The 1N914 is not a zener-----it is a small signal diode with virtually identical characteristics to the 1N4148.
I thought they were zener but fact they are "Small Signal Fast Switching Diodes"

(4) In a Common Emitter stage with an unbypassed Emitter resistor,the Gain (A) is (within limits) pretty much independent of transistor characteristics,& is determined by the values of Rc & Re,so in this case,

A= R11/R12,which should give a gain of about 22 (the original schematic says 10.5---go figure!) ???
The 2n3904,or BC338 should work OK,as should a BC107,BC108,BC547,BC548,or even most small signal NPN transistors you might salvage fom an old PCB.
R12=210    2k2/210~=10
I have some more of them (BC338 transistors) I thing they are in good condition.I have tried with R12=210 ohms that doesnt do anything. Im waiting for the scale needle to move back and forth but that moves only when I measure with DMM resistance.And it shows something like 3.2Mohms it moves all the way end.

After checking your transistor looks "like a diode" for each of the two junctions,you then have to determine which leads are the Collector & Emitter.
Even if your meter doesn't have a HFE function,you can still check this,as well as whether the thing has gain.

Using your DMM in the "diode check" mode,connect the two device leads which you need to identify to the RED & BLACK  DMM test leads.

Spit on your finger and touch both the base & the transistor connection which is connected to the RED DMM test lead.
Swap the Test lead connections & repeat the test--again the DMM will give a reading.
Compare the two readings----the higher one shows which is the correct connection.

For an NPN device,the Collector will be the lead connected to the DMM RED  test lead.

You have also learnt something--- transistors will work backwards,even if not very well! ;D
I think Its getting more complicated.Im going to use only usual way.I would like to stay in beginner mode. :)
I use most of the case Datasheet.And for BC338 1-Collector 2-Base 3-Emitter
but I measure
Base(Red test lead)-Collector (Black test lead) 0.661 V
Base(Red test lead)-Emitter (Black test lead) 0.662 V there is no big differences.

The voltage rating of C5 basically depends upon what sort of circuitry you are likely to be testing.
You won't be testing active circuits,so all you normally need is a DC rated device,just in case the caps are still charged.
I think the original guy used an old 400v Poly ester cap because that was what was in his junkbox.
that's great then I don't need anything else.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:19:17 pm by Savetheday »

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 10:27:48 pm »
Your transistor appears to be functional, with adequate if not exciting gain.  Is there a reason you are focused on the transistor?  The schematic suggests other tests you can run with the multimeter you have to verify that things are working as they should up to the transistor stage?

Do you have 5V at the top end of R3 and R11 and at pin 14 of IC1? 

Do you see 250 mV of AC at TP1?  With your first meter you should be able to measure the frequency which should be about 156 kHz.  Is it?  If you don't see this check pins 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 of the 74HC14 where there should be about 4 V pp AC at the 156 kHz.  If those readings are correct check values for R2 through R7 and capacitor C4 and double check that power and ground to the IC are connected.

Do you see 180 mV of AC at the positive side of C2 with TP1 and TP2 shorted?  Does it go to zero when you open the connection between TP1 and TP2? 

As a final thought.  I don't know what kind of meter you are using for this circuit.  It will not in general work with a DMM substituted for the analog meter specified.

Troubleshooting a non-working circuit requires a careful process of elimination.  Follow the signal from the point of generation to point of use, and establish to the best of your ability whether each stage is working.  In this case a frequency is generated in section D of IC1 (pins 1 and 2).  If you can establish that that is working follow the result forward.  The remaining sections are used to increase the available power and isolate the frequency generation from anything that happens in the later stages.  Again, simple checks will tell if this is working.  Keep at it until you find something that doesn't seem right.  Then try to figure out what could cause the problem. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:32:01 pm by CatalinaWOW »

• Regular Contributor
  • hobby technician
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 10:22:50 am »
Your transistor appears to be functional, with adequate if not exciting gain.  Is there a reason you are focused on the transistor?  The schematic suggests other tests you can run with the multimeter you have to verify that things are working as they should up to the transistor stage?

R11 top:5.04V DC
R11 down:3.578V DC

R3 left:1.251V DC
R3 right:85.9mV DC

IC1
Pin1:4.270V DC          Pin14:5.04V DC
Pin2:1.550V DC          Pin13:1.553V DC
Pin3:1.551V DC          Pin12:1.268V DC
Pin4:1.277V DC          Pin11:1.552V DC
Pin5:1.551V DC          Pin10:1.261V DC
Pin6:1.270V DC          Pin9:1.553V DC
Pin7:Ground               Pin8:1.256V DC
There is no AC Volts

By the way I use 5 volt DC powersupply.

Do you see 250 mV of AC at TP1?  With your first meter you should be able to measure the frequency which should be about 156 kHz.  Is it?  If you don't see this check pins 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 of the 74HC14 where there should be about 4 V pp AC at the 156 kHz.  If those readings are correct check values for R2 through R7 and capacitor C4 and double check that power and ground to the IC are connected.
There is no AC volt 0.001 0.003 V Both test leads TP1 TP2
49.78 Hz

Do you see 180 mV of AC at the positive side of C2 with TP1 and TP2 shorted?  Does it go to zero when you open the connection between TP1 and TP2? 

As a final thought.  I don't know what kind of meter you are using for this circuit.  It will not in general work with a DMM substituted for the analog meter specified.

Troubleshooting a non-working circuit requires a careful process of elimination.  Follow the signal from the point of generation to point of use, and establish to the best of your ability whether each stage is working.  In this case a frequency is generated in section D of IC1 (pins 1 and 2).  If you can establish that that is working follow the result forward.  The remaining sections are used to increase the available power and isolate the frequency generation from anything that happens in the later stages.  Again, simple checks will tell if this is working.  Keep at it until you find something that doesn't seem right.  Then try to figure out what could cause the problem. 
I see only Black DMM Lead connected to powersupply ground connection and Red DMM lead open circuit.(no connection) 1.328V AC. Nothing more.

Thanks.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 03:21:41 pm »

R12=210    2k2/210~=10

The original schematic for the page you linked to shows R12 as 100

I have some more of them (BC338 transistors) I thing they are in good condition.I have tried with R12=210 ohms that doesnt do anything. Im waiting for the scale needle to move back and forth but that moves only when I measure with DMM resistance.And it shows something like 3.2Mohms it moves all the way end.

Compare the two readings----the higher one shows which is the correct connection.

I think Its getting more complicated.Im going to use only usual way.I would like to stay in beginner mode. :)
but I measure
Base(Red test lead)-Emitter (Black test lead) 0.662 V there is no big differences.

It's not really at all complicated if you remember that Bi-Junction Transistors (BJTs) need to be "biased on" before current can flow between Emitter & Collector.

You are probably correct in your conclusion on which element is which,but this will be a good check.
Now,instead of looking for diodes between base & the other pins,place the DMM red lead on the transistor pin you have identified as the Collector,& the black lead on the Emitter.

Your DMM will read something along the lines of OL.(or Infinity)
Now,touch the Collector & Base simultaneously with a damp  finger.
The finger looks like a resistor between the Collector & the Base,so the Base will be positively biased ,& the DMM reading will drop to a real lower reading.

Write it down,& try the connections the other way round,with red on the Emitter,& black on the Collector---again the DMM will read OL.
Use your finger to connect the Emitter to the Base.
If your identification was correct,you will again see a real reading on your DMM.but it will be a much higher one.
Note! I stuffed up this test in my earlier posting  --you will see an edit if you revisit it

Re: The 156KHz oscillator:

This should produce a pretty good square wave,so it will hopefully have odd harmonics out to the 5th one.
As luck would have it,this 5th harmonic,at 780kHz,falls within the "Medium Wave Broadcast Band".
If you have a radio with this band on it,place the radio & device close together & tune across the band.
If the oscillator is working,you should hear a very strong unmodulated signal at 780kHz (or near as dammit).

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 04:16:05 pm »
Just to answer OPs question regarding the ICL7107CPL1 and ICL7117RCPL, comparison of the spec sheets would seem to illustrate the first couple of answers. The chips do appear to be functionally comparable and both appear to be in a 40pin PDIP package, however the 7117 has an additional 'HOLD' pin and a close comparison of the layout in both spec sheets indicates that some pin assignments have been changed to accommodate this. Therefore the 7117 could not just be used as a 'drop-in' replacement. Thought would need to be given to the new pin layout of the chip so that it is wired correctly, to whether the HOLD pin might be taken advantage of or whether it should be ignored (in which case should it be grounded or n/c), and how to work around the missing CREF- pin should it happen to be used by the existing circuit. So in this case, it is not a straightforward swap although with careful consideration and some modification of the circuit it might be possible to use it.

As a general guideline, the determination is made by careful comparison of the original part specification with the specification sheet of the substitute part under consideration to ensure that its operating parameters comfortably meet the requirements of the circuit. The operating parameters will vary depending on the type of component. Substitution will usually require some understanding of the characteristics of the component and their relative importance, and also of the circuit itself - what it is designed to do and how it works. There is no 'one size fits all' shortcut answer. It comes with time and experience but as you have already seen from the replies so far, forum members will usually be happy to help.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 04:31:04 pm »
To touch on the original question and what some other posters have mentioned, in order to identify a suitable replacement component you need to know why the original was chosen.  Op-amps are a good example, because the package and pinouts are pretty much standard, but even then there are so many different parameters you can focus on that matter in different applications.  In one application you might care about offset voltage and drift, in another maybe it's input bias current, or bandwidth, or drive current, or quiescent current, or rail-to-rail input or output, or some combination of these, or maybe none of them really matter and all you care about is cost.  Without knowing why the original part was chosen, you can't make an educated decision on a suitable replacement.

Lately I've gotten in the habit of making notes on my component selection when designing a board.  For each component I just make a quick note of why it was chosen - which aspects matter in the design, where the thresholds are, etc., so that if/when it goes obsolete I can quickly [hopefully] identify a suitable replacement without having to re-analyze the circuit.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 06:48:58 pm »

R3 left:1.251V DC
R3 right:85.9mV DC

IC1
Pin1:4.270V DC          Pin14:5.04V DC
Pin2:1.550V DC          Pin13:1.553V DC
Pin3:1.551V DC          Pin12:1.268V DC
Pin4:1.277V DC          Pin11:1.552V DC
Pin5:1.551V DC          Pin10:1.261V DC
Pin6:1.270V DC          Pin9:1.553V DC
Pin7:Ground               Pin8:1.256V DC
There is no AC Volts

By the way I use 5 volt DC powersupply.

There is no AC volt 0.001 0.003 V Both test leads TP1 TP2
49.78 Hz

I see only Black DMM Lead connected to powersupply ground connection and Red DMM lead open circuit.(no connection) 1.328V AC. Nothing more.

Thanks.

I misread the schematic.  5VDC should not appear at R3, but at R9.  But your other measurements adequately confirm that 5V is getting to the circuit properly.  The fact that you are not getting the appropriate AC voltages and that the frequency is typical of line noise pickup indicates the oscillator is probably not working.  You may have a bad 74HC14, or there may be other problems (solder bridge, bad resistance value, etc.).  You will need to poke around that section of the circuit and get it working before you know if you are having problems with your transistor.

• Regular Contributor
  • hobby technician
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 10:29:16 am »

R12=210    2k2/210~=10

The original schematic for the page you linked to shows R12 as 100
Sorry I couldn't answer you guys earlier. I'm working in my garage and it's cold out here   :--
I know I have just tried.But that doesn't work. I puted 100 ohms back  :)

but I measure

It's not really at all complicated if you remember that Bi-Junction Transistors (BJTs) need to be "biased on" before current can flow between Emitter & Collector.

You are probably correct in your conclusion on which element is which,but this will be a good check.
Now,instead of looking for diodes between base & the other pins,place the DMM red lead on the transistor pin you have identified as the Collector,& the black lead on the Emitter.

Your DMM will read something along the lines of OL.(or Infinity)
Now,touch the Collector & Base simultaneously with a damp  finger.
The finger looks like a resistor between the Collector & the Base,so the Base will be positively biased ,& the DMM reading will drop to a real lower reading.

Write it down,& try the connections the other way round,with red on the Emitter,& black on the Collector---again the DMM will read OL.
Use your finger to connect the Emitter to the Base.
If your identification was correct,you will again see a real reading on your DMM.but it will be a much higher one.
Note! I stuffed up this test in my earlier posting  --you will see an edit if you revisit it

Re: The 156KHz oscillator:

This should produce a pretty good square wave,so it will hopefully have odd harmonics out to the 5th one.
As luck would have it,this 5th harmonic,at 780kHz,falls within the "Medium Wave Broadcast Band".
If you have a radio with this band on it,place the radio & device close together & tune across the band.
If the oscillator is working,you should hear a very strong unmodulated signal at 780kHz (or near as dammit).

I did it with my DMM resistance mode I'm not sure ??
collector red lead and emitter black lead 6.50Mohms and
emitter red lead and collector black lead 11.40Mohms

To touch on the original question and what some other posters have mentioned, in order to identify a suitable replacement component you need to know why the original was chosen.  Op-amps are a good example, because the package and pinouts are pretty much standard, but even then there are so many different parameters you can focus on that matter in different applications.  In one application you might care about offset voltage and drift, in another maybe it's input bias current, or bandwidth, or drive current, or quiescent current, or rail-to-rail input or output, or some combination of these, or maybe none of them really matter and all you care about is cost.  Without knowing why the original part was chosen, you can't make an educated decision on a suitable replacement.

Lately I've gotten in the habit of making notes on my component selection when designing a board.  For each component I just make a quick note of why it was chosen - which aspects matter in the design, where the thresholds are, etc., so that if/when it goes obsolete I can quickly [hopefully] identify a suitable replacement without having to re-analyze the circuit.
Just to answer OPs question regarding the ICL7107CPL1 and ICL7117RCPL, comparison of the spec sheets would seem to illustrate the first couple of answers. The chips do appear to be functionally comparable and both appear to be in a 40pin PDIP package, however the 7117 has an additional 'HOLD' pin and a close comparison of the layout in both spec sheets indicates that some pin assignments have been changed to accommodate this. Therefore the 7117 could not just be used as a 'drop-in' replacement. Thought would need to be given to the new pin layout of the chip so that it is wired correctly, to whether the HOLD pin might be taken advantage of or whether it should be ignored (in which case should it be grounded or n/c), and how to work around the missing CREF- pin should it happen to be used by the existing circuit. So in this case, it is not a straightforward swap although with careful consideration and some modification of the circuit it might be possible to use it.

As a general guideline, the determination is made by careful comparison of the original part specification with the specification sheet of the substitute part under consideration to ensure that its operating parameters comfortably meet the requirements of the circuit. The operating parameters will vary depending on the type of component. Substitution will usually require some understanding of the characteristics of the component and their relative importance, and also of the circuit itself - what it is designed to do and how it works. There is no 'one size fits all' shortcut answer. It comes with time and experience but as you have already seen from the replies so far, forum members will usually be happy to help.
One of my old esr project I think that was second one I have to buy 2 layers Pcbs although I tried 4 or 5 times but couldn't etch my self pcb so I decided to buy 5 etched pcbs. My project was resulted with success.But there were 4 more pcbs and I thought I could give them a way to my friends with available Ics components and whatsoever.but I'm going to get back to that project in future.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:50:31 am by Savetheday »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 03:50:34 pm »
I did it with my DMM resistance mode I'm not sure ??
collector red lead and emitter black lead 6.50Mohms and
emitter red lead and collector black lead 11.40Mohms.

No,you don't use the resistance mode---DMMs are designed to not turn on diode or transistor junctions in that mode.
You have to use Diode Test mode.

Anyway,save that test as a "fun" thing to try later,as your measurements in reply number(16)

seem to indicate that the transistor is turned on & Collector current is flowing.

Lack of drive from the oscillator circuit is,as others have said,the more likely problem.
Have you tried listening for the 5th harmonic with an AM radio as I suggested?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:52:10 pm by vk6zgo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf