Author Topic: ESD protection for MOS tech. SID 6581  (Read 1663 times)

Offline DarkBabylonTopic starter

• Contributor
ESD protection for MOS tech. SID 6581
« on: January 23, 2017, 08:12:11 am »
Hello, I have recently received a SID chip from an ebay seller. So far continuity tests indicate it will take in supply voltages at near the ratings the datasheet available online say.
http://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=661

Since they don't manufacture this chip anymore, been keeping it safe in an antistatic bag. Apparently rightly so since it is more susceptible to ESD than the (imo inferior) 8580. Don't have a good indication as to how susceptible it really is.

What crosses my mind is to use inductors to do the job at least for the supply, but then data lines become a more convinient way for the current to come. The second that comes to mind is use spark gaps. Are there better ways to protect the IC from huge spikes and route the current to ground in the event of a spike?

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
Re: ESD protection for MOS tech. SID 6581
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:28:09 pm »
Protect the audio connector and joystick port POT pins with TVS ESD diodes.  Bidirectional for audio and unidirectional for the joystick port.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:42:35 am »
Beware that many of the SID chips sold on ebay are pulls that have defective filters. From what I recall, the filters in particular are especially prone to ESD damage, good protection is difficult due to the very fast rise times of static discharges but the ESD protection diodes mentioned above can help.

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 06:31:29 am »
Some ESD protection I made http://pasilassila.blogspot.fi/2014/06/c64-esd-protection-first-attempt.html
I'll update the SID audio connector sometime.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf