Author Topic: ESD Tape-antenna measurement  (Read 1590 times)

Offline generic_usernameTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
ESD Tape-antenna measurement
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:14:26 am »
Hello,

I recently started at a new Job in the lab of a company.
We have to do measurements with antennas a lot. The antennas are not that big, for example 85.2mm x 35.5mm
We run most of our tests automatically but it happens that we have to measure things per hand. Somehow the PCP's with the antennas have to be fixed somewhere. So we have to use tape and we should use ESD Tape (Lab rules).
Nobody nobody seemed to care much for the rules and used normal tape. I recently was approached by a senior because I used ESD Tape instead of normal (usually not allowed) Tape to fix the antennas.

An example measurement would be:
1 antenna generates a field and a 2nd antenna in a small distance (free air) receives this field and I measure the incoming field strength.

The Question I now have is: would ESD tape have a huge impact on this measurement if there would be ESD Tape between those 2 antennas?
(Hope I could explain my problem clearly)

Any hints would be much appreciated.
cheers

I always need 3 attempts to plug in a USB connector

Offline TSL

• Regular Contributor
Re: ESD Tape-antenna measurement
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:58:55 am »
Given the size of the antennas it sounds like you dealing with frequencies in the microwave spectrum.

Assuming this to be the case then different types of tape would have an effect on the tuning of the antenna, I've used ptfe tape to re-tune PCB filters to a lower frequency just by sticking it to the substrate.

Useing the wrong tape could affect the VSWR at the required frequency of operation. If you have a VNA available to you, run a sweep on the antenna and observe s11 for your centre frequency for different types of tape.

Also... non ESD tape could generate a significant static charge that could kill or damage the input device of your receiver. Most microwave devices are very static sensitive and ESD rules apply when using them.

If you have an ESD meter, use it to measure the static potential as you remove the tape from the device.

Google "sticky tape static charge" for more info.

regards

Tim

VK2XAX :: QF56if :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK

Offline generic_usernameTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: ESD Tape-antenna measurement
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 09:20:02 am »
Thank you for your reply,

Actually our Frequency is much lower than microwave, its in the 13Mhz range.
I've looked into that matter as you described with the VNA and could find out that one of the tapes we're using does make a change on the SWR curve so we're probably won't use that in the future.

Again thanks for the quick reply.

cheers.

generic

I always need 3 attempts to plug in a USB connector

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf