Author Topic: ethernet cable  (Read 10494 times)

Offline christos10Topic starter

• Contributor
ethernet cable
« on: December 05, 2014, 04:24:34 pm »
i have a 50 meter phone cable,,,,twisted and shelded,,,i know that in ethernet cables we use only 4 wires (2 for tx and 2 for rx)
my cable have 6 cables in it (3 pairs of 2 twisted)...can i use it for ethernet cable?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: ethernet cable
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:53:14 pm »
100BT only uses two pairs, gigE uses all 4.

If this cable is already in a wall or something and you'd like to use it, give it a shot.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 04:57:54 pm »
its not on a wall
i have a lab 30 m away from my router,,,,im using wifi but its to slow + theres a wall between my router and the lab

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 05:00:52 pm »
Only way your gonna know for-sure, is to try it.    :-+

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 05:05:07 pm »
in theory should it work?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 05:07:00 pm »
Likely will work yes.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 05:12:40 pm »
ok thx  will try and respond the results

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 05:15:23 pm »
3 pairs of 600R twisted pair. It will most likely work at 10M, but at 100M it will be very dicey. You would have to lock one end to 10M to get it to work reliably. Can you not just use it to act as a pull through to get some CAT5 ethernet cabling through?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 05:17:08 pm »
For telephone wire you could assume Cat3, i.e. 10BaseT. For more throughput use a pair of DSL modems (master and slave).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 05:19:22 pm by madires »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 05:31:06 pm »
Male sure you put it the right way around, it makes a huge difference you know http://www.chord.co.uk/blog/new-chord-ethernet-cables/

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 05:42:29 pm »
For telephone wire you could assume Cat3, i.e. 10BaseT.

Yes, but you might be surprised at what will actually work.  I have a 50m or so run of direct burial shielded category 3 (3 pair, no less) between my house and barn that runs 100baseTX just fine.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 06:09:18 pm »
For telephone wire you could assume Cat3, i.e. 10BaseT.

Yes, but you might be surprised at what will actually work.  I have a 50m or so run of direct burial shielded category 3 (3 pair, no less) between my house and barn that runs 100baseTX just fine.
so you have done it?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 06:17:30 pm »

You're lucky ;) Have you checked the error counters, especially FCS?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 06:59:37 pm by madires »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 06:35:40 pm »
Male sure you put it the right way around, it makes a huge difference you know http://www.chord.co.uk/blog/new-chord-ethernet-cables/
We must assume you are joking.  Which "direction" should you deploy a cable which BY DEFINITION carries data in BOTH directions?
Besides, they don't even know how to spell "cord".  Save us from yet another snake-oil vendor of boutique "magic" cable.  These people have no ethics.

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 07:25:11 pm »
You're lucky ;) Have you checked the error counters, especially FCS?

Naw, what for?  I'm not depending on it for anything important.  It runs good enough for file transfers and checking the environmental controls in the kennel.  I'm sure it's not as good as cat5e would be.  When it was time to run power and water to the barn I told the contractor to "throw some phone wire in the hole".  So I was thrilled that it ran ethernet at all.

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 07:35:19 pm »
I have a 50m or so run of direct burial shielded category 3 (3 pair, no less) between my house and barn that runs 100baseTX just fine.
so you have done it?

Yes, but that does not provide any guarantee that your cable will work.  Mine has a jacket made for direct burial, it is gel-filled to prevent water damage, and it has a copper clad steel gopher shield.  I can't remember who made it, but it was installed around 1999.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 07:59:13 pm »
its this cable

lets say i use this,,,will i lose speed? get more ping? 

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 08:01:27 pm »
Either try it or go buy some appropriate cable.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 08:02:02 pm »
Takes < 5 min to test, give it a go and see what happens!

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 04:39:42 pm »
thx,,its working with no ping.... :scared:

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 05:11:08 pm »
We must assume you are joking.  Which "direction" should you deploy a cable which BY DEFINITION carries data in BOTH directions?
Besides, they don't even know how to spell "cord".  Save us from yet another snake-oil vendor of boutique "magic" cable.  These people have no ethics.

But there's more data flowing one way that the other, so the end which sends more data should always be physically located higher than the other end. You save money on your electricity bill doing that, letting gravity take the strain.

If there is a an impedance bump caused by putting the cable over a wall or something, you can help the data flow by sucking on the downstream end RJ45* before plugging it into the receiving device. Using siphon technology you can fix no end of cabling problems. Another way to do this is to blow on the upstream end immediately before plugging it in.

* this is not to be done on PoE equipped network cabling.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 05:20:53 pm »
What does no ping mean? Zero latency for the icmp response packet? Awesome, where do I get me some of that?  ;)

Anyways, as has already been suggested: 10 Mbit ... probably, 100 Mbit ... maybe. If you can get it to negotiate a stable link, then run a test for a few days and see how many dropped packets you get. If you get low packet drop at 100 MBit, then congrats! :-+

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 05:32:08 pm »

But there's more data flowing one way that the other, so the end which sends more data should always be physically located higher than the other end. You save money on your electricity bill doing that, letting gravity take the strain.

If there is a an impedance bump caused by putting the cable over a wall or something, you can help the data flow by sucking on the downstream end RJ45* before plugging it into the receiving device. Using siphon technology you can fix no end of cabling problems. Another way to do this is to blow on the upstream end immediately before plugging it in.

* this is not to be done on PoE equipped network cabling.
Lol.  :-DD

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 07:14:22 pm »
thx,,its working with no ping.... :scared:

Some computers/devices filter echo requests by default.

Offline extide

• Regular Contributor
    • Rovitracker - Rental management AND Real-Time data!
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 05:40:03 am »

I am sure he meant to use the pairs correctly, as in make sure pins 1 and 2 are one pair, and 3 and 6 are another pair, and not some other way around.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf