Author Topic: Explanation of hardware level bitstream process for FPGAs  (Read 1924 times)

Offline eevguy2Topic starter

Explanation of hardware level bitstream process for FPGAs
« on: September 29, 2015, 02:09:17 pm »
HI,

I am looking for an explanation for what happens between the time the bitstream is loaded into an FPGA and the FPGA being ready to go.

I know the bitstream is proprietary, but I am looking for a hardware level explanation. (Like the book "Code")

I don't see how its possible to reconfigure physical logic gates.

Offline DJohn

• Regular Contributor
Re: Explanation of hardware level bitstream process for FPGAs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:21:19 pm »
The simple version:

Let's say you have a very simple FPGA with each cell containing a single 2-input gate, and an optional latch.  The inputs can be driven by the outputs of any of the neighbouring cells, or by lines that stretch across the whole FPGA.

The way you do this is to have multiplexers on each of the gate's inputs, selecting one out of all of the available sources for each input.  The address inputs for these multiplexers are driven by registers that are loaded by the bitstream.

Every cell contains a latch.  The clock input is driven by another multiplexer (selecting either the global clock or a constant '0').  The output of the cell is another multiplexer, choosing either the output of the gate or the output of the latch.  That makes the latch optional.  All of these multiplexers are driven by more registers loaded from the bitstream.

The gate itself is just a small 4x1 memory.  Feed the inputs to the address lines, and load the truth table for whatever function you like into it.

Real FPGAs have more inputs (which means a larger truth table) and a lot more optional features in their cells.  But that's basically it.  It's all multiplexers and small memories.

Offline eevguy2Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 04:23:58 pm »
Is there a way eevblog owner can make a video on this topic? I need to see it to get it.

Offline SaabFAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:07:31 pm »
I think, Dave has already made a vid.
If I remember correctly, the video-number is in the 400-region - Just search for EEVBLOG FPGA on Youtube and you'll probably find it.

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 10:01:32 pm »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 12:11:25 am »
If you're curious about what the bitstream looks like: http://www.clifford.at/icestorm/

The FPGA configuration process essentially involves a very long SIPO shift register whose outputs determine what each of the "tiles" do and how they connect.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf