Author Topic: Fan Motors - which kind?  (Read 2679 times)

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Fan Motors - which kind?
« on: June 27, 2017, 04:44:05 am »
I have two 9 inch floor fans. One motor looks radial with 4 or 6 coils oriented around the rotor. The other has one coil offset on the laminations to the side of the rotor. Is one style any better than the other? The radial style fan is stated 60W and the other is calculated as 72W from the current*amp rating.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Fan Motors - which kind?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:08:50 am »
Don't know about the radial style motor, but the other one is well known for its ineffiency - lots of electrical power wasted to heat. These are simple and cheap to make, but real energy wasters.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 09:21:30 am »
Sounds like the second one is a shaded pole motor. Nobody makes big ones because they are pretty awful. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaded-pole_motor

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 01:49:53 pm »
Well, I found this, but when searching I was getting convinced that the other motor was a permanent split capacitor motor. It does have a large square capacitor that the shaded pole motor does not have.

The outer windings are like these, only I think there are more than 4: https://www.psp.uk.com/shaded-pole-motors/

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:06:55 pm »
PSC motors are fairly common in medium-large fans, large in the domestic consumer sense anyway. Shaded pole motors are pretty standard for small desk fans, they're cheap and reliable.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:43:14 pm »
It's rather trivial. I wanted to keep the better design. Since they are both 9" fans, and I do not have a good way to measure actual air movement, I might just pick the lower wattage unit, but also consider longevity. I keep this one, but still cannot say what type of motor it has. (fans have been kind of sore spot because it gets hot here and a couple have burned out)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf