Author Topic: Faulty EEVBlog meter  (Read 5246 times)

Offline RussTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Faulty EEVBlog meter
« on: November 19, 2017, 03:09:56 pm »
I am so bummed. My new meter is only a day old and it’s faulty. The backlight quit working. Sometimes it will turn on, sometimes it will not. If I tap on it lightly it will turn on or off. Or a very slight twisting of the meter will turn it on or off. There is obviously a funky connection in there. Do I is the EEVBLOG return it for another one? It is the EEVBLOG/Bryman 235 model. Brand new.  😢

Thanks
Russ

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Faulty EEVBlog meter
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:13:47 pm »
Check with Dave (or whoever handles returns). You may ask him permission to mess around with it first and see what the issue is (whithout breaking your warranty). If you manage to find it, it's one less return/logistics nightmare for him and a good learning experience for you.

If not, nobody lost anything and you still need to return it :D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 07:13:12 pm »
Thanks. I will do that. How do I contact Dave? I’ve only had it for one day, and I was really liking this meter.

Thanks

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:26:25 pm »
Mail? PM? Twitter?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 08:22:05 pm »
Thanks. I just sent Dave a PM. I know it’s a minor issue. When I tap on or gently squeeze the sides of the meter, the backlight will often come back on. I am fearful of digging into it and making matters worse.

Thanks
Russ

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 09:11:17 pm »
I am fearful of digging into it and making matters worse.

Thanks
Russ
Around here that's considered a 'bad attitude'. ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 09:19:21 pm »
I fully understand the “bad attitude “ concept 👍. But I do not want to void the warranty or piss off Dave. I did notice that there are three screws that hold the back on. If I loosen the top one just a little, it appears to help prevent whatever issue is causing the backlight malfunction. It is obviously a very simple problem. Something is losing contact. As I said before, tapping or gently squeezing the sides will turn it back on. I sent Dave a PM. I will wait for his reply.

Thanks
Russ

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 04:50:49 am »
Every company makes a dud now and again, maybe it got smacked in shipping and a board has a hairline crack. Whatever, it's a new meter and you want it clear of problems, return it and likely the seller will just send you a new one. My 2 cents Dave
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:27:27 am by Old Printer »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 05:33:54 am »
Every company makes a dud now and again, maybe it got smacked in shipping and a board has a hairline crack. Whatever, it's a new meter and you want it clear of problems, return it and likely the seller will just send you a new one. My 2 cents Dave

I agree. That is what I intend to do.

Thanks

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 08:03:38 am »
I fully understand the “bad attitude “ concept 👍. But I do not want to void the warranty or piss off Dave. I did notice that there are three screws that hold the back on. If I loosen the top one just a little, it appears to help prevent whatever issue is causing the backlight malfunction. It is obviously a very simple problem. Something is losing contact. As I said before, tapping or gently squeezing the sides will turn it back on. I sent Dave a PM. I will wait for his reply.

Thanks
Russ

:-DD   

That's too funny buddy! You must be the only person ever to "notice" then just turn a screw "a little".
Come on.....tell the truth....you've been into it and now it doesn't work no more?   :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 02:04:13 pm »
I wanted to go into it. But I figured that if I started pulling it apart, I would void any warranty. Believe me, I was very tempted. I will just exchange it for another one. Dave knows about it.

Russ

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 04:06:39 pm »
Hmm, mine had a passage in the manual, explicitly stating that opening the meter would NOT void the warranty.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 04:14:43 pm »
Hmm, mine had a passage in the manual, explicitly stating that opening the meter would NOT void the warranty.

Interesting. But you are much more knowledgeable about electronics than I am. What should I look for? A bad connection, loose wire, etc? I know it’s something very minor, because when I tap or squeeze it gently, the backlight comes back on. What would be your guess as to what the issue is?

Thank You
Russ

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 04:36:54 pm »
Hah, knowledgeable? I am very much a noob, but a curious one ;) Just taking a look should almost never damage anything.
I do not remember much about the internals, but looking for loose screws might be a start. Getting to the display itself though is not that easy as far as i remember.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 04:42:51 pm »
Hah, knowledgeable? I am very much a noob, but a curious one ;) Just taking a look should almost never damage anything.
I do not remember much about the internals, but looking for loose screws might be a start. Getting to the display itself though is not that easy as far as i remember.

No loose screws. I stopped short of removing the circuit boards. Should I proceed further?

Russ

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 04:48:33 pm »
No loose screws. I stopped short of removing the circuit boards. Should I proceed further?

Russ

It cant hurt to have a gander. Have a look and see if you can notice any poor solder joints for example, maybe you can spot an obvious issue before returning it. Nothing wrong with being a bit curious. :-+

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 04:51:41 pm »

Russ

It cant hurt to have a gander. Have a look and see if you can notice any poor solder joints for example, maybe you can spot an obvious issue before returning it. Nothing wrong with being a bit curious. :-+

I agree completely. I just do not want to void the warranty.

Thanks
Russ

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 05:48:54 pm »
If you have some kind of magnification you should check the solder joints. A magnifying lense and some good light can show up a bad joint.

I would think so long as your just looking and not pulling bits off you may just find an easy fix. Save you some hassle. A good look won't break nothing.

Good luck!!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 06:16:35 pm »
If you have some kind of magnification you should check the solder joints. A magnifying lense and some good light can show up a bad joint.

I would think so long as your just looking and not pulling bits off you may just find an easy fix. Save you some hassle. A good look won't break nothing.

Good luck!!🍀

Well crap! I just tried looking into it. I removed all the screws, but could not remove the square circuit board on top. It partially lifts off, but out of fear of damaging it, I replaced all board screws and re-assembled it. Now it’s working fine. I seem to have accidentally fixed it. What would cause this miraculous fix? Do I still exchange it for another one, or keep it? I wonder what minor issue was causing the problem, and if it will arise again? 🤔

Russ
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:27:40 pm by Russ »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 07:19:51 pm »
Ha nice one! Good job fixing it. The funny thing is now you fixed it do you still exchange it. It must've been a loose connection or something. Only you can know whether to keep it or get a new one,  :)

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 07:43:19 pm »
Having been in repair for sometime I've run into this.  My answer was always the same. 
First, the company I worked for specified repair or replace at OUR option.  We weren't obligated to give them new.  Second, there is no guarantee the second will be better.  You now have a working unit, in place.  Transport is a major cause of malfunction.
Third, is we have documented the problem so if it arises in the future that can be taken into consideration.

You have also learned something well known in the repair field.  Sometimes you will NEVER know what the problem was but you don't care because it went away. ;)  Just be happy you saved yourself the hassle involved with returning it and be done with it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 07:57:01 pm »
Having been in repair for sometime I've run into this.  My answer was always the same. 
First, the company I worked for specified repair or replace at OUR option.  We weren't obligated to give them new.  Second, there is no guarantee the second will be better.  You now have a working unit, in place.  Transport is a major cause of malfunction.
Third, is we have documented the problem so if it arises in the future that can be taken into consideration.

You have also learned something well known in the repair field.  Sometimes you will NEVER know what the problem was but you don't care because it went away. ;)  Just be happy you saved yourself the hassle involved with returning it and be done with it.

Sounds like sage advice to me. 👍😁

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 08:04:47 pm »
In some places, reporting a defect warrants a replacement when it reoccurs later, even outside the warranty period. After all, the defect was there in the warranty period.

I imagine this varies wildly in different countries, though.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 12:03:14 am »
You have encountered one of the mysteries of equipment repair - the intermittent.

Fortunately, yours was of the "I can make it come and go through mechanical action" type.  This type of repeatability gives you a fair chance of being able to track the problem down in a reasonable time and with relative ease.  Note - this is not a guarantee, just a good chance.  Where intermittents become annoying is when they occur in their own sweet time.  Identifiable triggers make life easier - even if a bit challenging.
 For example, slow thermal triggers require patience - and maybe a can of freeze spray.

However the true hair-pulling begins with intermittents that occur without any identified rhyme or reason.  Those can be soul crushing.  You need to apply your detective skills and have a disciplined approach to deal with these .... and sometimes the patience of Job.  The frustration with these, though, is that because they occur whenever they feel like it, you are never sure that you have fixed the problem.

In your case, however, the fault was repeatable.  It was also, perhaps more importantly, non-critical to the basic function of the meter, so no measurement function or accuracy issues were immediately at risk.

With the disassembly and reassembly of the unit having 'fixed' the problem, you now have that experience that most of us (if not all) have encountered.  You also have the lack of knowledge as to what the actual fault was and how the disassembly and reassembly addressed that.  While it feels good right now, you don't really know if the fault will return or not - and whether it might reappear in a week, 6 months or 10 years' time.

General comments - not directed at any specific product:
Bad solder joints can get disturbed just enough to make contact for the moment and the fault will come back in time - perhaps in hours, perhaps in months.  Plug and socket arrangements are perhaps the best candidates for quick "repair" efforts - but even they have their quirks.  If the fault was caused by some debris that was removed by unplugging and replugging, then your repair might just be permanent - but if it was through a poorly sprung pin that just happened to find a microscopically different position in the socket, then it could fail overnight ... or behave for years.

The possibilities are almost endless - and the stories are ones you generally want to be ones that others have told - but the more time you spend in this pond, the greater your chances of slipping getting dragged off the lily pad and struggling with an intermittent that simply won't give up its secret.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:04:55 am by Brumby »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 12:29:39 am »
Not that he has any obligation to but the OP would perhaps have learned more by first posting a "Help me fix my meter" thread and then if all else failed send it back for a replacement, that way if it happens to be an inherent fault with these meters then other owners would also be better informed and know what to keep an eye out for.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf