Author Topic: First Oscilloscope  (Read 2586 times)

Offline szymonm2Topic starter

• Contributor
First Oscilloscope
« on: May 14, 2016, 07:28:18 pm »
Im thinking of purchasing my first oscilloscope. Im looking at the "DSO5102P". Is it a good buy for £200? If you have other suggestions let me know :)

Thanks

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: First Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 08:41:27 pm »
Dave has done a number of reviews, also others, on youtube.com, take
a look at the reviews and make up a decision matrix to aid your decision.

Like any instrument choices are made as to need, requirement, cost.

If possible make sure it has FFT, quite useful in the scheme of things.

Also there are a number of low end scopes, like Rigol, that sell at a specific
frequency capability, but can be hacked into a much higher speed. Like their
50 Mhz can be hacked into 100 Mhz. Note this does not go without risk, there
are several threads of the DS1054 in the forum discussing this topic.

Regards, Dana.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:45:26 pm by danadak »
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 09:18:36 pm »
Im thinking of purchasing my first oscilloscope. Im looking at the "DSO5102P". Is it a good buy for £200? If you have other suggestions let me know :)

Thanks
Is it new or used?

They're a good basic DSO but hamstrung (lacking) any substantial memory depth (Mpts) in much the same way as the Siglent CNL series and because of this I no longer hold stock of CNL's preferring the CML series with 1 Mpt memory as my basic unit.
http://www.siglenteu.com/pdxx.aspx?id=27&T=2&tid=1

When you capture a waveform that you might want to examine in greater detail is when lack of memory depth becomes apparent.
A nice little graphic by member rf-loop in the SDS1000X thread shows the relationship of captured waveforms and memory depth (in dot mode) and I link it here:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:21:03 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 09:35:12 pm »

Regards, Dana.

Oddly enough, none of the bugs and infecilities I have found or reported on seem to have anything to do with unlocking bandwidth or the other features of the DS0154z. As far as I can tell the bugs are there in "virgin" as well as "hacked' scopes and unlocking the bandwidth doesn't seem to have any adverse effects.

Of course if you should somehow brick the scope and have to return it for warranty service before you've restored the original "unhacked" state, you may have some difficulty...

So in spite of what other people may think about me and my bug reporting, I still can recommend the Rigol DS1054z as a good value for the money.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline ali6x944

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:51:43 am »

Regards, Dana.

Oddly enough, none of the bugs and infecilities I have found or reported on seem to have anything to do with unlocking bandwidth or the other features of the DS0154z. As far as I can tell the bugs are there in "virgin" as well as "hacked' scopes and unlocking the bandwidth doesn't seem to have any adverse effects.

Of course if you should somehow brick the scope and have to return it for warranty service before you've restored the original "unhacked" state, you may have some difficulty...

So in spite of what other people may think about me and my bug reporting, I still can recommend the Rigol DS1054z as a good value for the money.
Is true I own one of these bad boys and I never had a problem using it it works like a charm it also have a kinda will documented help menu so u know which button is which ;)

Offline szymonm2Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 04:47:51 pm »

Regards, Dana.

Is true I own one of these bad boys and I never had a problem using it it works like a charm it also have a kinda will documented help menu so u know which button is which ;)

So you're telling me to invest in a better oscilloscope?

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 05:10:53 pm »
Not necessarily!  The Hantek has dual channels with an external trigger.  The Rigol DS1054Z has 4 channels with no external trigger - use one of the channels.  There is a huge advantage in increasing numbers of channels.  I bought my Rigol SPECIFICALLY for the extra 2 channels.

The Hantek is currently for sale at Amazon (in US) for $268 so it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Rigol.  I haven't looked at the reviews for the Hantek and I am more than willing to skip over the negative threads around here bashing the Rigol.  I just don't see myself hanging by my knees and pushing buttons with my nose to see if I can force a failure.  The Rigol works fine.

There is a well documented procedure for getting 100 MHz out of the DS1054Z but the base unit is just 50 MHz and the Hantek is 70 MHz.  So far, I haven't hacked my Rigol but I probably will at some point.  I don't need the extended bandwidth but I would like to keep the serial bus decoders.  It's not an imperative, I have gotten along without them up to this point so I won't really miss them.  OTOH, I can see where they could be very handy.

I would look at Dave's reviews (if he has one) and then consider whether the extra two channels will be worth the difference.  If you plan to look at the SPI bus, it will be a real help.

This pair of videos might be useful:
https://youtu.be/JTG6jWL0ZqA
https://youtu.be/Ev121xAt_k4
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:17:13 pm by rstofer »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf