Author Topic: First PCB Design  (Read 5434 times)

Offline Sparky_FreakTopic starter

• Contributor
First PCB Design
« on: February 29, 2016, 02:12:28 am »
My first pcb design and i was wondering where or more specifically which pcb house to use i am a student so dont have tat much cash .i would only like to produce like 20 or so boards and i would assemble it my self. Its a basic project sort of like the ? ruler well a shorter version i would also like to put some type of circuit on it maybe a mini dc volt indicator like a led based device to indicate 5v,12v,24v and so on. i would like to work in industrial automation (E&I) and would like to give these to possible employers as gifts so they can remember me i also live in Trinidad so like every thing has to be imported any advice would be welcome. Or i am still working on the layout kinda learning as i go along lol so as soon as i am able i would post schematics and so on   

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
Re: First PCB Design
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 02:21:32 am »
I have yet to be able to upload anything to the OSHPark web site....   :-//

I'm considering using PCB Prototypes for my first designs.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 03:12:19 am »
I have yet to be able to upload anything to the OSHPark web site....   :-//

I'm considering using PCB Prototypes for my first designs.

I never had any problems at all. I use FireFox 44.0.2.
The link you provided is, uh, not looking good. $150 for 4 layer PCB, with 7 mil width/spacing and 14 mil drills? That's 20 years old technology.
Modern low cost prototyping fabs can make 6/6mil trace and 12 mil drills with almost 100% yield, or 4/4mil trace and 10mil drills with mandatory e-test.

I see the OSHPark web site doesn't work with IE 11.

Comparing costs, I have a 5"x5" board with 2 layers:
   OSHPark wants $125 for 3 boards
   PCB Prototypes wants $70 for 4 boards.
I think I can easy up on my tolerances for half the cost of a prototype PCB.

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:23:22 am »
Look at www.pcbshopper.com It's the most comprehensive database of PCB manufacturers. Read the reviews.
As for OSHPark, it's not necessarily any better than the Chinese manufacturers(for 2-layer boards). They do have the best silkscreen available on the cheap tho.
Here are OSHPark pics: http://imgur.com/a/72Ze6

Offline OilsFan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 06:51:32 am »
Did you try PCBCART? I think that is what Dave has used in the past and there is 15% off with code: PCBEEVB There is a link on the main EEVBlog site.

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 07:33:13 am »
FYI, here is a quote from a couple of Chinese PCB fabs I have used, and I believe it is cheaper than PCB shopper since it is the domestic price. Prices are rounded to $5:
$20 for 2 lyaer PCB, <100mm*100mm.
Only 1 design is allowed to protect prototyping service (i.e. if you want to run a business like OSHPark, Chinese fabs will charge you much more).
PCB shopper do not make/sell any boards, they are just a database to PCB house websites.
The cheapest 2layer 10pcs 100*100mm is $10 ($7 for 50x50mm) at http://makerstudio.cc with $6 shipping to US.
I've always wondered why some manufacturers don't allow multiple designs. I find this very inconvenient since they want to charge me extra $9 if I want to put an extra adapter on my board.
Who will actually deny the order, the service provider or the fab ( considering that the fab is separate ) ?
Is the service provider / fab not making a profit on prototyping orders ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:36:25 am by michaeliv »

Offline differentcurrent

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 07:58:50 am »
you can try to make a pcb at home,  i published i tutorial at my youtube channel
https://youtu.be/n7bNUC9ibk4

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 08:01:11 am »
you can try to make a pcb at home,  i published i tutorial at my youtube channel
Out of curiosity of what is possible, what's the minimum track width or component type you've manage to reliably use on home-made PCBs (SOP, TSSOP, SOT23, BGA1000, etc... )?

Offline differentcurrent

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 08:05:09 am »
Out of curiosity of what is possible, what's the minimum track width or component type you've manage to reliably use on home-made PCBs (SOP, TSSOP, SOT23, BGA1000, etc... )?
sop and sot23 work great, didn't try tsop yet.
but i think it can be done with some practice.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf