Author Topic: First power supply  (Read 1376 times)

Offline revtintinTopic starter

First power supply
« on: July 22, 2017, 09:18:33 am »
Hi, new to electronics and was thinking of getting my first bench power supply. I noted from reading that eBay could be a great place for picking up a used one (HP?). My issue is that I live in a country where the AC is 220-240V. Can anyone suggest possible models for a beginner? Thanks.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Re: First power supply
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 09:25:28 am »
Bargin HP is harder to find here in europe, they are around but not cheap or common.
Shipping from USA is expensive, plus you would have to make sure it is dual voltage.

Try looking for Thurlby/TTI, Weir or Farnell PSUs
The Thurlby PL320 is a classic 30V 1 or 2A linear with voltage, current control and it has an output on/off switch, perfect for a beginner.
They are very common on ebay, just make sure seller says is in PERFECT WORKING ORDER, there are plenty with faults.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:27:34 am by MosherIV »

The following users thanked this post: revtintin

Offline revtintinTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:17:44 pm »
Bargin HP is harder to find here in europe, they are around but not cheap or common.
Shipping from USA is expensive, plus you would have to make sure it is dual voltage.

Try looking for Thurlby/TTI, Weir or Farnell PSUs
The Thurlby PL320 is a classic 30V 1 or 2A linear with voltage, current control and it has an output on/off switch, perfect for a beginner.
They are very common on ebay, just make sure seller says is in PERFECT WORKING ORDER, there are plenty with faults.

Good point on the shipping... I'll look for those as you said. Thanks!

Online macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 02:41:16 pm »
+1 on both TTi (Thurlby) and Farnell (Wayne Kerr). I have a couple of each, and they are as good as my various HP supplies. In fact I've decided to keep the TTi and Farnell supplies and sell some of my HPs since the HPs have so much more resale value (good if you're selling, not so much if you are buying).

The following users thanked this post: revtintin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf