Author Topic: Floating pins  (Read 1131 times)

Offline bitmanTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Open Source Guy jabbing with Electronics
Floating pins
« on: May 22, 2017, 11:40:52 pm »
Short and sweet - how do you identify floating pins? I have a "simple" breadboard with a AT28C64B and a 10 position dipswitch for addresses and LEDs to show data. I can hold my hand 10 inches above it, not touching it, and it's clear the address line changes (the LEDs change). I made a small video that I don't think is interesting, but just touching the DIP switches will impact, even touching the address wires.

All the wires are pulled to zero using a 10K resistor - I'm simply following a guide and that was what was suggested. I presume the size of the resistor doesn't change the pull to zero, but does it impact how sensitive it is to the waves coming from wires with electricity all around us. I wear an anti-static wristband which is connected to a ground connector (earth ground).  All pins are connected.

Basically I'm trying to find out where the signal that is "floating" is coming from (I have 10 lines for an address) and once found, figure out why pulling it down with a 10K resistor isn't doing the job (and what to do about it).

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Floating pins
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:50:41 pm »
Does your breadboard have split power rails and you have forgotten/didn't-know to connect them, meaning some of what you think is ground, isn't ground.  Check resistance (continuity) between of all points you think are ground.

Post schematic.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline bitmanTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Open Source Guy jabbing with Electronics
Re: Floating pins
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 12:48:26 am »
Does your breadboard have split power rails and you have forgotten/didn't-know to connect them, meaning some of what you think is ground, isn't ground.  Check resistance (continuity) between of all points you think are ground.
Sleeman - this isn't a new breadboard - the connections are ok. The good news is that while it took a few hours, I finally found the "missing link" so to speak. The missing link was on the dip switch module and was well hidden. I found that by in-directly following your advice. I put a meter on ground, and moves the other side of the meter plugging into the broad board over each resister that was pulling to ground. I had removed all wires forcing them all to ground, which resolved the problem initially. And this revealed a single position that wasn't grounded.

In my primitive setup this took quite a while. I do wonder if there's a better way, other than trial and error?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf