Author Topic: Floating power supply for LCD Digital Meter  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Doc38343Topic starter

• Contributor
Floating power supply for LCD Digital Meter
« on: June 06, 2015, 03:19:24 am »
I found this on a wildcard site. link here http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/digital-metering/digital-metering.html

From there:
I built the capacitor-isolated circuit on a breadboard using whatever parts I had on hand. The 555 IC oscillates at about 40 kHz and it draws about 10 mA just by itself. With 12VDC input, the circuit produces 9.25VDC output with the meter connected. (With 9VDC input, the circuit provides 6.25VDC output, which is just a bit too low. With 15VDC input, the circuit provides 12.3VDC output, which is just a bit too high.) A 9V meter will operate on 7-11 volts so the lack of voltage regulation is not a problem. You can still use an LM78L05 regulator and a 5V meter. The schematic can be found below.
If you make a floating power supply with a 555 timer, remember that the output voltage will be related to the input voltage, and that the 555 has a maximum supply voltage of 15VDC. Use a 12V 3-terminal regulator on the input. Use a 5V regulator or zener diode on the output with a 5V meter.

NOTE that this config is for a 12V input to produce a 9V appx output. (I built this on bread board and it does work. I have an ATX converted supply and my 12V lead is actually 11.9V and this circuit gives me 6.8V under the load of the digital meter or 9.3V when no load is present.)
The digital meter I am using is a 0-100V and 0-10A onboard shunt and supply in is 5v to 30V off EBAY.
Also I used a 33uF instead of the 35uF on the schematic

Thought this may help a few guys like myself...

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:23:40 am by Doc38343 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf