Author Topic: FLuke 87 XEROX  (Read 12382 times)

Offline AuggieTopic starter

• Contributor
FLuke 87 XEROX
« on: March 01, 2010, 09:37:47 pm »
What is the difference between the Fluke 87 and the 87 XEROX if there is a difference?

Offline rossmoffett

• Regular Contributor
Re: FLuke 87 XEROX
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:58:57 pm »
They brand the meters differently when making them in large lots for specific companies or purposes, mine is marked "Fluke J39200 KENT MOORE" but it has the same features as a typical 87.. its temperature measurement has a clamp made for refrigeration lines though.  Also, it defaults to DC current, that nag Dave is always complaining about doesn't exist on my meter.

Just Google around, there's probably not a significant difference.
ArcAttack - A group of musical Tesla coil performers with semi-regular blog updates.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:33:44 am »
They brand the meters differently when making them in large lots for specific companies or purposes, mine is marked "Fluke J39200 KENT MOORE" but it has the same features as a typical 87.. its temperature measurement has a clamp made for refrigeration lines though.  Also, it defaults to DC current, that nag Dave is always complaining about doesn't exist on my meter.

Is that the Series 5?
The original Fluke 87 (Series 1) defaulted to DC. They changed it on the Series III.

I now Fluke change the front panel silkscreen for various customers, but I have never heard of them changing the operational firmware. But that might be possible of course.

Dave.

Offline rossmoffett

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 05:51:11 am »
I thought it was an 87-V until I got my replacement front cover in, it doesn't have the same feature set.  It was made in 1998 too, so it very well could be series 1, I don't know.  I didn't think to research before I made the assumption.  Cover fits, that's all I cared about.

Because of the custom branding I can't find any info for sure.
ArcAttack - A group of musical Tesla coil performers with semi-regular blog updates.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 05:06:11 pm »
The original Fluke 87 (Series 1) defaulted to DC

Boys , help me out here , Ok I am an Greek , and English it not my strongest point .

So what in earth is  " defaulted to DC " , and please use some simple words to define ,
the description ..

Thanks...

Offline desolatordan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:19:02 pm »
The original Fluke 87 (Series 1) defaulted to DC

Boys , help me out here , Ok I am an Greek , and English it not my strongest point .

So what in earth is  " defaulted to DC " , and please use some simple words to define ,
the description ..

Thanks...

The meter has a single mode for measuring AC and DC current. By default, the meter normally displays DC current, and requires you to press a button to select AC current for measurement. Some of their meters default to measuring AC current, which is annoying if you mostly measure DC current, and vice versa.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 07:06:40 pm »
Thanks friend .. my life become easier now ..   ;)

Offline klorel

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 10:23:50 am »

I planning to buy 1 shown on the picture with Xerox logo on top. I just want to make sure it is exactly the same functionality and calibration vise as the Fluke 87V since it cost quite a lot.

Thx

Offline jeroen79

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 11:24:31 am »
I don't see markings for temperature (option for the mV range) and duty cycle (on the Hz button).
And the type says 87 without a V.
So I would guess it is not an 87V.

Something to read:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Fluke-Meters-Main-Read-First-/10000000007231862/g.html
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Fluke-Meters-Models-and-Series-main-/10000000007478323/g.html
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Fluke-Meters-80-Type-Models-and-Series-/10000000007491382/g.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:29:57 am by jeroen79 »

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 11:44:52 am »
I planning to buy 1 shown on the picture with Xerox logo on top. I just want to make sure it is exactly the same functionality and calibration vise as the Fluke 87V since it cost quite a lot.
When CAT ratings came about, the original 87 was updated with slight modifications to the front end and sported CAT-III labeling instead of the red lightning bolt.  It is sometimes referred to unofficially as a "Series II" 87.  That's what this Xerox-labelled meter looks like, definitely not a Series V.  With a yellow holster and in good condition, should be worth around 100 USD give or take.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 05:23:59 pm »
Excavatoree, a member here and who wrote those ebay guides, has one maybe two Xerox branded Fluke 87s.

There is a service manual for the Fluke 87 series 1 that has schematics, bill of materials and calibration instructions.

Modemhead also has some extensive blog entries on fixing common problems with the original Fluke 87 series like fading digits, blown fusible resistor, dirty rotary switch contacts, etc.  See

mrmodemhead.com

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 08:00:00 pm »

Is that the Series 5?
The original Fluke 87 (Series 1) defaulted to DC. They changed it on the Series III.

Dave.

The III defaults to DC - at least mine does. (85III and 87III both). Yup - just double-checked.

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 06:26:28 am »

Thx

That's a 87 Series I.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 08:18:24 am »
That's a 87 Series I.

Yep, and that could be 25 years old.

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 06:31:19 am »
That's a 87 Series I.

Good thing it's a Fluke because it should still be bang-on accurate! A few months ago I bought two 27/FMs, warranty expiration in 1989 and 1990. Both are bang-on accurate. One of my techs in the shop has a 73III, he's the original owner, never serviced and it's still perfect. He has used it 6 days a week for however long.

OP, keep in mind the Series I without the case sells for around $100 regularly on eBay, sometimes cheaper. Heck, I bought my 87III for $100. One of my 87Vs was $150 with a ton of test leads/clips and a case. Nothing wrong with this series but in my opinion, the 87V is worth the extra $50-$75 on the used market. You get more usable capacitance range, temp, better backlight, low pass filter, a better case(in my opinion) and a short beep on diode check(like a DMM is supposed to work!).

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 02:46:47 pm »
That's a 87 Series I.

Absolutely. My 87 Series 1 purchased new in 1997. The only thing I've done to it is change the battery when required.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:59:09 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 06:06:02 pm »

Thx

That's a 87 Series I.
I don't think it is 87-1.  The 87-1 has red lightning bolt.

If you follow ebay Fluke 87 wiki article, the CAT rating was printed on the 87 starting with Series 3 (if I remember right).  So this Xerox must be at least 87-3.

However.  Like others said.  It is NOT 87V simply because V has temperature and some other features.  The picture clearly shows that this meter does not have temperature, therefore it is not V so don't waste your money.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 06:58:58 pm »
As modemhead stated using information from Excavatoree, it is the "unofficial" 87 II.  The Fluke 87 III doesn't have the slanted lcd digits like the I.  The III also has slightly large lcd digits than the I.  The V has the largest lcd digits of them all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf