Author Topic: Flux Pens or Syringe?  (Read 7417 times)

Offline superscott319Topic starter

• Contributor
Flux Pens or Syringe?
« on: August 22, 2013, 06:28:26 pm »
Hi, I was looking to buy flux for some electronic projects I'm working on and was wondering which methods of applying flux you all prefer. I've never bought flux or worked with it much so I'm not sure what to look for. From the research I've done so far, it seems the most common means of applying flux is through a pen or syringe.

Between these two options, which do you think works better for general purpose SMD soldering? I'd be interested to know if there's some other common way of applying flux too. Also are there any particular flux products you'd recommenced for a beginner?

Thanks

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
Re: Flux Pens or Syringe?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:38:48 pm »
This is my favorite.

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:44:26 pm »
Felt tip flux dispenser pen. By a big margin, followed by brush, followed by spray.
I prefer syringes for the other stuff - glue, solder paste etc. - happily abusing the pressurized-air dosage machines at work for this :)
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »
never had a problem with kester flux pens. otherwise I just use a 34-ish gauge syringe.
for flux pastes, a needle works well for me.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 10:00:28 pm »
I use a squeeze bottle with a dispensing needle on it (similar to robrenz).

With the right needle size, you get a lot of control IMHO so I find it more useful than a disposable pen (also more economical, as it's refillable). Particularly useful for tinning wire and drag soldering.

Refillable pens also exist if you'd rather go that route, and still end up more economical than the disposable pens.

SRA: http://sra-solder.com/section.php/141/1/flux_pens/a6c1582fef719e5149c2f5290c64bd6f
Xytronics (brush tip; empty): http://www.xytronic-usa.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=74
Empty Pens from Chemtronics: http://www.chemtronics.com/products/product.asp?r=1&m=2&id=537

With the latter two, you can put whatever you want in them for flux (type & brand).

And don't be afraid to try different applicator types to see what best fits your way of doing things IMHO.  ;)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 12:20:42 am »
I got this multicore flux pen http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/p/solder-fluxes/4259379/
and the felt tip completely frayed into a ball of mess before the pen was even half empty.
I managed to pull the end out and swap it around the other way, which worked for a short time before that frayed also.
Now i can't get any of the flux out because i can't press the tip in making it useless. Maybe i should cut it open and fill up a syringe or something.

My other flux pen (electrolube) is still working fine and doesn't have this problem.

Can't say i'm all that impressed with flux pens, ive been meaning to try a flux gel syringe or squeeze bottle.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:27:37 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:24:20 am »
Paste!

(I just wanted to be different)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf