Author Topic: FM bug  (Read 14930 times)

Offline victorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Boy who writes code and take things apart
    • vitim.us
FM bug
« on: October 25, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »
I built a transmitter based on this

http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/circ/fmt2.htm

This is the actual circuit I built.

It's oscillating because I can pick sound when I put it a couple inches from an old fm receiver with analog tunner. So I think it is out of frequency and it is picking harmonics, but I placed it a meter far from the receiver I poke the coil stretch it tighten it, and can't get it in frequency.

I tried soldering an output cap in the antenna of 24pF (I don't know how to calculate this, just thought it would be enough), or removing the antenna completely. Tried winding different coils, with 4 5 and 6 turns.

I'm using a couple AA batteries to power it (3v). The inductor I used I think AWG23 copper wire from a CAT5 cable, wound on a 3.5mm jack.

I know this kind of free running transmitters are not good, but when I was a kid I had one transmitter that had a single transistor, and a PCB spiral coil and a condenser mic and worked out of a single 1.5v battery, and the stability and range was fairly good, unfortunately I don't have it or its schematic anymore.

some other inductors I wound and tried.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:31:49 pm by victor »
your body is limited, but not your mind

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: FM bug
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:16:05 pm »
Have you got accurate values and inductor making instructions. It won't take much to throw these too far off to be picked up by an FM receiver. Even the spacing in the coil will make a huge difference. You'd be better off using proper enameled wire so there is no risk or shorts

• Regular Contributor
    • vitim.us
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:23:34 pm »
I made this layout, I tried to keep everything as neat as I could, and the shortest path possible, because I thought it would make it work better. I will try anything and post results. I tried to wind the coil as beautiful as possible, I even removed the pad under the coil. But judging from the pictures and schematic, What do you think it is wrong?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:34:31 pm by victor »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 07:26:11 pm »
I'm no expert on this sort of circuit, last one i made was a lashup and worked years ago. Check you don't have parts cross talking, maybe output feeding back into input, make sure coil spacings are right

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 07:35:40 pm »
There's nothing wrong with the layout.

The first thing which strikes me is there's no decoupling. Try connecting a 10nF and 100pF capacitor across the power supply rails, as near as possible to the transistor.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 07:39:12 pm »
Might be worth pushing that transistor down and shortening the legs

Offline guitchess

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 07:45:17 pm »
I've been making a bunch of different FM transmitters lately and although I'm far from an expert here are some tips I picked up.

1.  Use an online coil calculator to check your coil size/turns.  I like http://www.66pacific.com/calculators/coil_calc.aspx
2. Use a Hartley/colpits(which ever is applicable)calculator to check the osc. freq.  That appears to be a Hartley in your scheme.  I like http://www.ekswai.com/en_ind3.htm

Don't hold either of these as law because they will still vary, but it get you in the ballpark where you are picking up more than harmonics. 

3.  If you have a capacitance meter check the caps in your osc.  Even a couple pf can set your osc outside of the FM band. 

4.  Be very, very accurate in your coil dimensions.  A half of a mm could throw you out of range. 

5. Don't try  to tune in on  a digital tuner.  Use a radio with a manual dial. 

I may think of some more shortly. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:35:35 pm by guitchess »
Just a 48 year old carpenter.  No training. No school. Self taught at electronics and programming.  So yes, I'm out of my depth.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 07:48:15 pm »
yes capacitors can vary widely depending on where they came from, some um suppliers will shaft you with +/-50% caps marked as +/-20% which is as good as you usually get on ceramics so that will cause plenty of possible variation.

Offline guitchess

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 08:38:45 pm »
Also, you will have a little less noise if you build on a ground plane.  This may not be an issue since you are making an actual bug.  I make my transmitters to broadcast music from my pc to radios around the house/shop.
Just a 48 year old carpenter.  No training. No school. Self taught at electronics and programming.  So yes, I'm out of my depth.

Offline guitchess

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 09:56:02 pm »
Just thought of one more. 

Since you are using non enameled wire for your coil, whatever you are using to stretch/shrink it may be throwing it way out.  Try using two pencils and compressing the coil with the erasers.  Of course, all bets are off if you compress it enough for turns to touch.

• Regular Contributor
    • vitim.us
FM bug
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 01:41:32 am »
I measured all the capacitors and all in spec. 6pF 25pF and 35pF. I will add some decoupling.

But from the formulas it seems that the inductor should have nearly 0.1uH or 0.08uH for a 35pF figure that will roughly oscillate in the middle of the fm band.

My inductor is 4mm diameter, 5 turns and 4mm in length, and it seems that it have too much inductance 6uH, and I'm oscillating at much much lower frequency.

But I'm not sure if those numbers are correct.

But there's also something odd if I increase from 5 to 6 turns my inductance increase but  increasing it further to 7 turn the inductance drops 1 order. Is that a glitch in the calculator ??

Turns
4 = 4.3uH
5 = 6.7uH
6 = 9.7uH
7 = 0.133uH

Unfortunately I don't have any tool to measure my inductor besides a ruler.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:05:41 am by victor »

Offline guitchess

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 03:51:53 am »
Unless it is me that is misunderstanding the calculator response, that is not 6.7 uH, it is 67 nH. I think that is what the -002 to the right is meaning.  .067 uH. When I enter those numbers in the Hartley calc it has a freq of 103Mhz.  This is close enough to the top of the band that even microscopic imperfections in your coil could be pushing you outside of the band.
Turns
4 = .043uH
5 = .067uH
6 = .097uH
7 = 0.133uH

I would suggest swapping the cap with a 40 or 45 pf.  That would put you closer to the center of the band.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:55:43 am by guitchess »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 04:17:24 am »
I've been making a bunch of different FM transmitters lately and although I'm far from an expert here are some tips I picked up.

1.  Use an online coil calculator to check your coil size/turns.  I like http://www.66pacific.com/calculators/coil_calc.aspx
2. Use a Hartley/colpits(which ever is applicable)calculator to check the osc. freq.  That appears to be a Hartley in your scheme.  I like http://www.ekswai.com/en_ind3.htm

Don't hold either of these as law because they will still vary, but it get you in the ballpark where you are picking up more than harmonics. 

3.  If you have a capacitance meter check the caps in your osc.  Even a couple pf can set your osc outside of the FM band. 

4.  Be very, very accurate in your coil dimensions.  A half of a mm could throw you out of range. 

5. Don't try  to tune in on  a digital tuner.  Use a radio with a manual dial. 

I may think of some more shortly.

No,it's not a Hartley--note the single,untapped coil.

The base is bypassed to common for RF,so it is a Common Base Oscillator circuit.
The only feedback I can see is via C3,(4.7 pf in the original circuit.)

I really hate these things,but many people have fond memories of making them,so it must just be me! ;D

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 04:41:21 am »
I really hate these things , but many people have fond memories of making them , so it must just be me! ;D

Nope it isn't just you

I recall making one up and then fitting the output to a radio transceiver input just to see what I could hear on another receiver the bug had maximum gain on the mic , I was really stressed out for days as the bug was picking up something I could not hear (or so I thought) , after days deciding that it was not a oscillation or internal bug noise I finally concluded it was the cement works and very large quarry around 5km or away .

It was an inaudible by ear growling grumbling by the fm bug/radio receiver and then I actually started to hear it by ear eventually , the clincher was there was this mechanical "bang/clang" sound sounding like something steel and large just fell over via the fm bug/radio one time and in one ear of the headset and then at the same time I heard it in the other ear direct , but if one was not actually listening for it it was so low that one would have not noticed it at all and it was from that quarry direction .

I went around after I could hear that growling/grumbling constantly and was asking people left right and centre if they could hear it , all responses was no , what noise ?.

It took me awhile to get used to that noise especially at night when it was all quite in the local environment .
Soon

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 02:35:30 pm »
Just a quick note - I am not sure where are you from, but do make sure to check your local radio regulations!

E.g. in many EU countries these types of "bugs" are illegal to use, regardless of output power, because they broadcast in a licensed/regulated band. You could get a really nasty fine if a grumpy neighbor/local airport should you detune it too much/etc complains about interference to the authorities!

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 03:07:33 pm »

I really hate these things,but many people have fond memories of making them,so it must just be me! ;D

They are rubbish in terms of performance (especially stability) but I can vividly remember how excited my brother an I were to be able to hear our voices on a radio after building one of these.  It's a rite of passage for young budding EEs. :)

Offline guitchess

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 03:15:41 pm »
As I said, I am no expert, quite the noob actually.  It doesn't surprise me that it is not a Hartley.  I haven't learned that much, yet.  Somehow the Hartley calc that I posted will get you close enough as far as coil and cap sizes though.  I learn a lot every time one of you gurus post.  Thanks.

To the OP, This was the first Tx circuit I tried.  It worked, but it is far from the best I've found.   

This is circuit I am currently using. 

This is my second favorite.  http://www.electroschematics.com/2233/low-power-fm-transmitter/

This is the first one that was able to achieve a usable amount of stability and sound quality.  http://electronics-diy.com/miniature-fm-transmitter.php

Keep in mind that I use these for broadcasting from headphone outputs.  So, how they perform being fed by electrets, I couldn't say. 

Offline guitchess

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 03:20:48 pm »
Please be warned.  The first time i tried to alter/test a circuit using a headphone output, I blew the internal amp of my mp3 player because I had a short. I quickly learned the lesson to check the build before connecting it, check it with expendable connections, and then connect in a real world set up. 

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 03:26:32 pm »
In early 2000s I also built FM bugs like this.
I found out that it is better to build a two transistor circuit. It gave me better results.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 04:14:05 pm »
In early 2000s I also built FM bugs like this.
I found out that it is better to build a two transistor circuit. It gave me better results.

Yep. This single transistor circuit is extremely difficult to tune and if you touch the inductor a bit - go for tuning it again. :-BROKE

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 04:57:44 pm »
Just a quick note - I am not sure where are you from, but do make sure to check your local radio regulations!

E.g. in many EU countries these types of "bugs" are illegal to use, regardless of output power, because they broadcast in a licensed/regulated band. You could get a really nasty fine if a grumpy neighbor/local airport should you detune it too much/etc complains about interference to the authorities!

Extremely low-power FM transmitters in the licensed FM broadcast band are legal in the EU since a few years.

But you can still get into trouble for violating other regulations, like lack of certification, or interfering with aircraft communication. Or, an extremely nasty one, if there is a local law against bugs, listening devices, surveillance devices etc.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 04:57:53 pm »
The common base configuration makes them good at high frequencies. I built one in the 1GHz region and used it as a beam break sensor for people. It worked quite well. At UHF the collector-emitter feedback capacitor needs to be emitted as the transistor's parasitic capacitance is sufficient.

Such a simple single transistor oscillator isn't very good for FM broadcast. The sound quality will be poor because they're no pre-emphasis. To cut the hiss, the treble part of the audio signal is boosted by the station and all modern FM receivers cut the treble to reconstruct the original signal. As a simple FM bug doesn't have treble boost, the high frequencies will be cut by the receiver, making it sound muffled. Add a pre-amplifier with a treble boost filter; the corner frequency depends on the region you live in - look it up.

The frequency will drift depending on the load and supply voltage. To get round this, power the oscillator section from a regulated voltage and add a buffer stage to drive the antenna.

A loosely wound coil will be microphonic. Wind it on a firm plastic core or embed it in wax or resin.

Rather than relying on the audio signal to change the DC bias and therefore the capacitance of the oscillator transistor, use a varactor diode. A simple 1N4001 may give good enough results.

Lastly bear in mind that the frequency will always be slightly lower than the calculations indicate. Add about 6pF for to account for the transistor's capacitance.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:

Offline Teledog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:31 am »
Or maybe grab a cheap VCO (55-100Mhz) off eBay. (read the data sheet of whichever model you decide on!!!)
Adjust the f voltage to your desired frequency and then tap in a capacitor to the input/f voltage with your audio input on the other side.
Not terribly stable or hifi (regulated f/bias helps a lot!!!).
A fun, cheap & dirty way to get a low-power FM Xmitter though! (at any frequency!) >:D
Cheers!

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 02:07:55 am »
But there's also something odd if I increase from 5 to 6 turns my inductance increase but  increasing it further to 7 turn the inductance drops 1 order. Is that a glitch in the calculator ??

Turns
4 = 4.3uH
5 = 6.7uH
6 = 9.7uH
7 = 0.133uH

No, it's not a glitch in the calculator. As was mentioned by guitchess you are misreading the output. When the calculated result says "Inductance = 6.788E-002 microhenries" this means "6.788 x 10-2 µH" or "0.06788 µH" or "67.88 nH".

You can't ignore the "E-002" bit, it is a really important part of the number.

Your table is:

Turns
4 = 0.043 µH
5 = 0.067 µH
6 = 0.097 µH
7 = 0.133 µH
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:12:12 am by IanB »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf