Author Topic: Four-terminals shunt resistors  (Read 3756 times)

Offline jackjrTopic starter

Four-terminals shunt resistors
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:26 pm »
Hi,

I'm working on a 3-phase brushless motor controller project, and I need to sense the current and voltage passing through the MOSFETs.
I'm using the TI DRV8301 IC, a MOSFET gate driver, which also includes 2 current shunt amplifiers for current measurements.

The reference design in the datasheet uses 2 separate shunt resistors. (See attachment for the schematic).

While looking for an ideal resistor, I came across these four-terminals shunt resistors.

So the question is, can I substitute the 2 resistors by only one of these?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Four-terminals shunt resistors
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:40:34 pm »
i would think not, as those 10 milli ohm resistors look to be acting as ballast resistors to even out the current between the mosfets

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:43:12 pm »
So the question is, can I substitute the 2 resistors by only one of these?

No -- the four-terminal shunt resistors you've found are still only individual resistors, so you'd still need two of them.  The extra pair of terminals are your sense connection -- you pass the current through the 'outer' pair of terminals, and read the voltage drop across the 'inner' pair.  That way you measure the real voltage drop across the resistor, instead of the combined voltage drop across the resistor and the current-carrying connections to it; the technique is called four-wire (or Kelvin) measurement.

(ETA: as, in fact, mentioned in the datasheet you linked!)

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 12:51:46 pm »
No.  You can use that resistor but you still need two of them.  The 4 terminal resistor will be more accurate at 10m ohms because it eliminates all voltage drop variations that would be in the connection of a 2 lead resistor. Your circuit board has to have the proper layout for the 4 terminal resistor and you have to orient the resistor properly or it may give inaccurate readings if reversed.  There are also board layout techniques for shunts with only 2 leads to give maximum accuracy. It is in this excellent paper http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/rarely_asked_questions/moreInfo_raq_resistors.html

EDIT:  baljemmett, Sorry I ignored the post warning.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:53:42 pm by robrenz »

Offline jackjrTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:23:21 pm »
Too bad  :(

Thanks for the link Robrenz.
All this seems to be way more complex than I thought…

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf