Author Topic: Free course UT.6.03x Embedded Systems on EdX starting now...  (Read 7051 times)

Offline adeTopic starter

• Supporter
Free course UT.6.03x Embedded Systems on EdX starting now...
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:36:51 am »
Hi all,

The FREE online course UT.6.03x Embedded Systems from the University of Texas at Austin is starting now on EdX:

https://www.edx.org/course/embedded-systems-shape-world-utaustinx-ut-6-03x

It's not too late to join!  This 16-week introductory course will teach you a variety of embedded topics from basic C programming, connecting various sensors, debugging with oscilloscopes, interfacing with WiFi, and more!

This is a "hands on" class full of lab exercises based on the TI TIVA C LaunchPad (which has the superb ARM Cortex-M4 microprocessor).   You can buy the LaunchPad for about $13 from your favorite electronics retailer. A bundle including the Launchpad plus an assortment of LEDs, switches, breadboard, etc., can be had for $35.  You can optionally also buy graphics display and the WiFi kit. 

(Links to world-wide retailers available from the EdX site).

Note: I have no relationship with the course, other than I'm going to take it myself! 

Rudimentary programming skills recommended.  If you've taken any intro to programming course before, you're ready for this class.

Fellow students, come join me here and say hi!

Offline adeTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: Free course UT.6.03x Embedded Systems on EdX starting now...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:13:37 am »
Teaser:

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor

Offline adeTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 06:17:54 pm »
Ah, right, it didn't show on search for some reason.  Are you going to follow the course again this year?  I think they made some changes from the last course. 

Even though I've tinkered with uCs for years, I admit just one day in I've already learned a couple of new things... :-+
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:20:05 pm by ade »

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:25:07 pm »
Yes,  I  will follow the course again this year.

Last year, I had to quit at some moment because of lack of time.  I did  the first 6 labs and  validated with 51%.

I will certainly benefit from a new try. I will gain from the experience of last year where many  thing was very new for me.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:35:08 pm »
Yes, excellent course.  I completed about 1/2 of it when it was first offered 2 years ago. Life got too busy then. I'm gonna see if I can find time to finish it off this year.

They also recently announced a new second course (starting in the fall I believe) by the same instructors  - that  will cover  RTOSs.

Offline adeTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:48:15 pm »
Cool, I'd love to take the RTOS one!!

From the intro seems they've made the class a lot more flexible this year compared to the previous offering, which should benefit all of us with busy lives!

Offline adeTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 08:19:36 pm »
Time flies!  We're now at the last few weeks of this course.  Anyone still hanging in there?

I finished like half the class in just a few of weekends, but then got bogged down in the middle, and work/real-life commitments didn't help either.

Finally picked it up the class again in the last couple of weeks and now caught up with the schedule (doing Lab 14 now).

I'm still hoping to finish all the labs including making the handheld game (next lab).

What are your thoughts about the class?  I had no exposure to ARM or Keil before so for me it's been a good hands-on introduction.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 10:15:14 pm »

They also recently announced a new second course (starting in the fall I believe) by the same instructors  - that  will cover  RTOSs.

any links
thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline adeTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 11:39:55 pm »
No link yet but this was from an earlier announcement:

... Texas Instruments has funded the production of a second MOOC. The focus will be on Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS) for embedded systems. One of the exciting features of this lab-based MOOC will be Low Power Bluetooth. Our plan is to use a standard hardware platform so the students can focus on the software aspects of writing their own real-time operating system. Yes, students will write a complete RTOS. If you own a TM4C123 LaunchPad you will be able to use it for this class. We will tape in the spring, configure in the summer, and deploy the MOOC around September 2016. Follow us on one of the three social media channels for more information.

The RTOS class will use the TM4C123 LaunchPad again, and will also showcase real-time projects using TI's CC2650-based Bluetooth LE module.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 12:32:34 am »
three social media channels for more information.

damn  Facebook again

what are the other 2
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline adeTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 12:35:02 am »
Twitter and Google+.

But for sure there will a thread here on EEVBlog when the course is officially announced.  ;D

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 12:49:33 am »
Twitter and Google+.

But for sure there will a thread here on EEVBlog when the course is officially announced.  ;D

Thanks I will look into these once I master smoke signals.
Unfortunately sometimes I miss a EEVBlog thread

Offline adeTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 01:40:53 am »
An update about the upcoming RTOS class:

Yerraballi and Valvano are having great fun creating a second MOOC for you on real-time operating
systems and Bluetooth. We have been writing, taping, and creating labs. You can use the TM4C123
LaunchPad or the MSP432 LaunchPad. In a similar way you use PD3 to create a simple scope, we will have a
simple logic analyzer to debug and grade the real-time operating system. Most of the labs create a personal
fitness device.
  • Introduction to the MK-II BoosterPack;
  • Round-robin scheduler with spinlock semaphores;
  • Blocking semaphores and hardware interrupts;
  • Priority scheduler running a hand-held video game;
  • Solid state disk and file system;
  • Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) using a CC2650 BoosterPack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf