Author Topic: Free schematic design tool?  (Read 2679 times)

Offline raspberrypiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Free schematic design tool?
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:54:32 pm »
I'm looking for a free one either web base or download. MS paint ctrl c ctrl v would have worked fine but the windows 10 paint is very tedious to draw straight lines and you have to constantly click away to keep from moving your line, then click back on the tool or area. I was a master with the old ones. I just need it for practice. It would also be nice if I could make my own boards as in using chemicals from copper pcbs, no mailing away for stuff. But not necessary as wire wrap is suiting me just fine now...
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Free schematic design tool?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 12:58:12 pm »
Kicad is free: http://kicad-pcb.org
There are free versions of Eagle as well: https://cadsoft.io
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Harrkev

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:27:45 pm »
My favorite is Diptrace, and if you're a student you can get a free registration key for it, as long as you agree not to use it for commercial purposes. http://diptrace.com/download-diptrace/
It also has a freeware version.
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 02:16:10 pm »
If you are a FOSS fan then KiCAD is your go-to.

For free software that is not open source, I prefer DipTrace. You don't have to be a student to get a 500 on license, just ask. DipTrace, unlike Eagle has no board size restrictions. I also find it a bit more intuitive.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 10:41:41 pm »
If you are a FOSS fan then KiCAD is your go-to.

For free software that is not open source, I prefer DipTrace. You don't have to be a student to get a 500 on license, just ask. DipTrace, unlike Eagle has no board size restrictions. I also find it a bit more intuitive.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

However, Diptrace has pretty severe pin count restrictions - the cheapest version 300 pins, next up is 500 and only 2 layers.

That's pretty expensive for those restrictions, IMO. The unlimited version is 1000 EUR - which isn't too much considering the competition, but for a hobbyist not eligible for discounts, that's quite a chunk of change.

If it is only for non-profit uses then there is a significant discount, but I am not sure what they are asking for as justification (and whether or not the OP wants to make money with it).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:45:00 pm by janoc »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 10:54:49 pm »
Eagle and KiCad are multi-platform.
Lin, Win and OSX.

it may be important to a growing number of people given that M$ is intent on driving people from it's platform!  >:D

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Free schematic design tool?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 12:27:35 am »
Eagle and KiCad are multi-platform.
Lin, Win and OSX.

it may be important to a growing number of people given that M$ is intent on driving people from it's platform!  >:D

DipTrace has a Windows and macOS version. The Windows version runs perfectly on Linux via WINE. (In fact, the macOS version is just the Windows version in a WINE bottle with a special launcher. You could download the macOS version and extract the WINE bottle from it if you wanted an easy setup on Linux.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline void_error

• Frequent Contributor
  • I can transistor...
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 12:39:34 am »
DipTrace has a freeware version up to 300 pins and free version up to 500 pins if you shoot them an e-mail asking nicely for a non-commercial license and they usually respond within a few hours depending on your timezone relative to theirs.
I tried KiCad which is completely free but I found it quite tedious and sluggish to work with.

Web-based options also exist, like CircuitMaker but all except one of your designs are publicly available. There's also EasyEDA.
Trust me, I'm NOT an engineer.

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 05:57:26 am »
I love DipTrace.  Nothing to lose here, download the free version and watch their free (and efficiently edited, tight) videos.  Yeah, if you have over too many pins you may be stuck.  But then again, you can always break your schematic into several different files.  If necessary, you can even implement as different boards and just put a header between them for whatever signals you need to bring across.  If you order from OSHPark there won't even be a price penalty because they charge purely by area anyway.  DipTrace+OSHPark=Sex On A Stick! as Dave says.

DipTrace+OSHPark is as easy as...

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 06:06:29 am by JoeN »
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf