Electronics > Beginners

From no parts to decent stockpile, best approach?

<< < (41/56) > >>

rx8pilot:

--- Quote from: boffin on August 27, 2019, 10:26:56 pm ---
--- Quote from: queennikki1972 on May 10, 2019, 07:25:06 pm --- I 3D print most of my storage boxes, but i have found floppy disk boxes and recipe card boxes from goodwill useful as well.

--- End quote ---

I'm a huge fan of cardboard bin boxes.  Available from any warehouse supply/shipping company for little money.  Available in standard sizes, fit easily onto cheap shelving, and a big flat surface to put labels or just write on.

(Attachment Link)

--- End quote ---

I have many hundreds of those keeping my mini-factory organized. Very low cost. Very effective.

Fredled:

--- Quote from: HB9EVI on July 20, 2018, 07:12:21 pm ---Isn't actually the worst thing in piling up tons of compenents the fact, that whenever you have an idea and want start from the scratch a new project, you realize, that this is missing and that is missing

It simply never ends

--- End quote ---

Always buy your components as you go. 90% of projects can be done with only five different values of resistor and  three different values of capacitors. If you need something special, just buy it. Then you get exactely what you need.
Yet, it's a good idea to buy by 100 (or at least by 10 for expensive stuffs) because you tend to use the same things again and again. But there is no "to have" list because each developer has its own needs.

One time I bought 500 THT leds on aliexpress  for $3 or something, just to realize that I will use only SMD leds...

It's impossible to start a new project and already have everything in your drawers. But it's very easy to fill them with things you never use.

enjoy.cowboy:

--- Quote from: Fredled on September 20, 2019, 08:40:31 pm ---
It's impossible to start a new project and already have everything in your drawers. But it's very easy to fill them with things you never use.

--- End quote ---

Obviously you cant have everything, unless you set up shop in a digikey warehouse. But you can more or less cover your bases: Signal transistors (bjt and fet), power transistors, e24 1/4W resistors and capacitors, lots of wires, a handful of opamps and a handful of 74 series chips, some 555s, a big hammer, some jellybean regulators (7805s, LM317s), fast diodes (1n4148 and the like) and bulky diodes (1n4001). This ought to get you started at least to the point you realize you need something specific.

revscott:
A recent change in my life has made it impossible for me to keep my electronics hobby going (also my cigar box guitar hobby). Therefore, I'm getting rid of my stuff. I'm not looking for money for the stuff, I just want it to go to a good home. The stuff I have isn't the greatest, but it's too good to just throw out. Below is a general list of things I'm getting rid of. If you are interested I can send images. If you pay postage it's yours. Items: Wooden project boxes, tin boxes (various sizes and shapes), cigar boxes, metal enclosures (used), a few motors of various kinds, a few transformers, various computer fans, lots and lots of speakers (tiny to large) a few vintage table radios, a few vintage car radios, a variac, a few variable power supplies, power supplies from used equipment, a vintage metal detector, meters/multimeters, magnets, lenses, cables, a BUNCH of electronic components (new/used), a few electronic books, capacitance substitution box, resistance substation box, tube oscilloscope, through-hole boards for harvesting components, wire, and some hand tools. Email me if you are interested in any of this. I'm boxing things up these next few weeks. I'm serious, it's all free, but I can't afford to pay shipping.

Teno:
I'm facing the same issue, Argentina economy forced me to live in a single room apartment, and I'm moving my electronics, in boxes, to a place to rest, until new notice.
I hate this.
Cheers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version