Author Topic: Oscilloscope training class (long)  (Read 748675 times)

Offline DSE_Kid

Re: Oscilloscope training class (long)
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2020, 10:23:43 am »
Brilliant stuff!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: w2aew

Offline K5_489

« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2020, 03:25:26 am »
Wow...I'm 40 years old now, have been on the internet for over 20 years, and this is, seriously, the very first time I've signed up for a forum with a specific question/need in mind which was actually answered by an easily found sticky post.  Well, at least I assume it will be..just registered a few minutes ago, and haven't yet watched the video, but based on the contents list, I believe it either will be or will at least get me much closer to an answer.  Specifically questioning what a large impedance mismatch between 'scope probe and 'scope input will mean.  I have a Tek 222PS 'scope with a 333.3K input impedance, the proper probes have long since become unobtanium, but I have a bunch of 1M impedance probes on the bench. 

I'm definitely looking forward to finding some time to watch the video here :) 

Offline L/C/R Putzer

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2020, 03:56:48 am »
I read that Tektronix probes have a designed center conductor that is not a straight wire, but may have twists and bends for probe compensation. Besides the compensation adjustment.
I am an all around good-guy!!

Offline Figaro

« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2020, 12:33:40 pm »
w2aew Alan Wolke, best teacher ever, professtional video's, Detailed , Every word to the point (all being said in short time)
Clear langauge (important for those whom English is not thier mother language), Nice pleasend quite voice, No ego ! Please if you meet him at the club, tell him this.

The following users thanked this post: w2aew, RoGeorge, Kibabalu

Offline casterle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #204 on: December 20, 2020, 06:10:08 pm »
Armin - if you are interested in analog troubleshooting, I would highly recommend the "Troubleshooting Analog Circuits" book by Robert A. Pease.  Bob Pease just recently was killed, a tremendous loss to the Analog Design community.  Thankfully, he was a prolific writer, with a regular column (Pease Porridge) in the Electronic Design magazine.
I'm an old guy just getting started in analog - I hadn't heard of Mr. Pease before, so thank you for the introduction to this remarkable man.

Here's a link to a large collection of his writings:http://doc.xdevs.com/doc/_Lab/

Offline Mace_Hacker

• Contributor
« Reply #205 on: March 04, 2021, 04:42:37 pm »
Thank you!!

Offline rpiloverbd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2022, 12:27:22 pm »
Wish it was available during my University days....

Offline furnacemike

• Chemist & Lab. Metrologist, Electronics Hobbyist
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2022, 03:26:47 am »
Very cool! I have to watch this video! I'm kind of new in electronics and Oscilloscopes are a little intimidating. I actually bought a Hantek DSO5072P last year but I still haven't gotten to try it out yet.
Mike

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2022, 10:41:38 am »
I have just dipped my toe in today with some practical scope training, by the arrival of my first digital bench oscilloscope.

A bit of queasy purchase, as getting the right price point,  brand, and model as a beginner is not without risk of disappointment.

At the moment though I'm happy enough with my decision of GW Instek MDO-2302A.

picture shows a ringing trace from my Keysight AWG at 4V pk-pk 2kHz square wave input.

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2022, 03:26:43 pm »
Congrats!  Ringing mostly due to the test lead inductance and unterminated output.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: MacIntoshCZ

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2022, 04:35:12 pm »
Thanks for the pointer

How much is a measurement artefact and how much is the signal must be a recurring issue with analogue, I guess.

Ed.
Have just checked the original photo - 50ns per division

looks like a good excuse to do a calculation

Ed.
and of course ringing goes away with a bnc-to-bnc cable
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 07:15:39 pm by armandine2 »
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2022, 02:50:56 pm »
...and you've learned a valuable lesson on the detrimental effects of test lead (and ground lead) inductance. 

This video has some additional detail and examples:
https://youtu.be/zodpCuxwn_o
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: MacIntoshCZ, armandine2

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2022, 04:25:09 pm »
yes, I kinda knew the good  and poor probe techniques before and I kinda knew that equipment doesn't always produce great square waves. Definitely a learning point in the degree of those two, for me.

Offline LOTO instruments

• !
  • virtual Oscilloscope
    • virtual Oscilloscope
« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2023, 01:49:09 am »
Thumbs up!
LOTO focuses on virtual oscilloscopes, we strengthen software and streamline hardware to develop oscilloscope and peripheral modules. Powerful software and rich scalability of hardware are the customer values we continue to pursue.

Offline Sunnysingh241

« Reply #214 on: April 27, 2023, 12:52:39 pm »
Hello everyone,
I am into robotics and electronics from quiet a while and I am going to buy an oscilloscope. I have a question that is I do mostly robotics using arduino and raspberry Pi and electronics project like fm and some other projects and I am also intersed in making my own microcontroller board so which scope should I buy.
A two channel Or a four channel. I have one model in my mind. The siglent sds1052dl+(500msps). Will this be enough for me.
And in general what's the lifespan of an dso
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 12:57:11 pm by Sunnysingh241 »

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #215 on: April 27, 2023, 04:35:00 pm »
The Siglent is a good choice and you should go for the 4-channel model if you can afford to.

Offline LogicalDave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #216 on: April 28, 2023, 01:31:16 pm »
Adding my email response to this thread so others can view/comment:

The SDS1052DL+ (USD$289) doesn't seem competitive (price or features) with several Rigol scopes including:
The Rigol scopes seem to offer superior features in every area including bandwidth, time-base accuracy, serial bus analysis (something you will probably appreciate in your application), memory depth, etc.  I simply don't see any advantage to the Siglent scope you are considering.  I have nothing against Siglent and have several pieces of their equipment including a SA/VNA and SG...I just don't see the particular scope you are considering as offering a good value when compared with the Rigol scopes.  I have had good experiences with Rigol, Siglent, and Owon; you have a wealth of good choices.

Also, the vendor I linked to above (TEquipment) sometimes offers a small discount to EEVblog members; it's worth asking if you're going to buy from them; I have purchased from them before and had good experiences.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2023, 07:47:03 am »
space was at a premium - yesterday - testing my perf-board common emitter stabilized transistor amplifier

so I had to face the Hantek 2C42 user interface , eventually getting a good setup.

My low voltage gain (I now realise) was probably down to not soldering the 100uf emitter cap in circuit  :palm:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:22:19 am by armandine2 »

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2023, 07:30:12 am »
... a long night with Hantek to get Lissajous theory and practice to agree, as we know they must.

... it turns out triggering the Hantek for X-Y mode was a pita. And the frequency generator must be in internal sync to get a circle.

Offline lieinking

« Reply #219 on: December 17, 2023, 10:44:26 pm »
I was going to post another thread but think this is okay here. I'm just starting electronics. I've been messing with capacitors and output signals from an arduino and would like to see the wave forms. That's pretty much all I would want an oscilloscope for right now. I don't know how long I'll continue the hobby so don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on equipment until I'm invested. Is there anyway around buying an oscilloscope or paying so much?

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #220 on: December 18, 2023, 01:08:46 pm »
You do not have to spend hundreds of pounds.  Look around and you will find many, many inexpensive offerings.  Also, used scopes can be great buys.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #221 on: December 18, 2023, 01:31:05 pm »
You do not have to spend hundreds of pounds.  Look around and you will find many, many inexpensive offerings.  Also, used scopes can be great buys.

:-+

Is there anyway around buying an oscilloscope or paying so much?

The term "paying so much" is very subjective. What is the budget you are allowing yourself? You can get a used 20 MHz analog scope for under $150.

If "paying so much" means $25 to you, then you will have a hard time getting one.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf