Author Topic: Front panel graphics  (Read 7733 times)

Offline M0BSWTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
Front panel graphics
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:22:10 pm »
Is there anywhere I can buy front panel graphics, eg the volume graphics 1/10 or on/off,it would be nice to make a semi pro finish to projects.
Paul
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Front panel graphics
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 07:07:06 pm »
When I was a student working weekends in an electronics emporium, I sold transfer sets by 'ALFAC' that were for direct application to PCB's for etch resist layouts and the series also included exactly what you are asking for, all manner of knob calibration marks, headphone symbols etc. These are basically a 'LETRASET' dry transfer product that may be laquered after application on panels. I think I still have some very old sets in my attic ! Well past their best by now I suspect as they will be 25 years old ! I have not seen ALFAC transfers for many years so they may well have gone the way of the Dodo   :'(

A more recent purchase of mine was a great little Brother label printer that is connected to my PC. This can take TZ laminate label tape with a width up to 24mm. I have used 'black on clear' & 'white on black' tape on some projects and it looks far better than handpainted labels. The joy is that you can print images so a symbol or scale is achievable.

Other hobbyists use inkjet paper, printed using a PC based graphics or imaging program, then either covered with 'book cover protector' or laminated in palstic using a common cold or hot laminator.

I will see if i can track down my Alfac sets  ;)

UPDATE:

I found them quickly  :)  The ALFAC sets have survived the years well !  I am surprised if another manufacturer does not have a similar product available. I note that 'Tandy' (Radio Shack) used to sell similar as I have some examples of such as can be seen in the picture.

Thanks for reminding me about these... a nice reminiscence of my happy days in a lovely little (high quality) electronics Emporium called 'Hanneys' of Bath during the 1980's  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:29:40 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 07:19:41 pm »
Part way thru this video is how I did the full front graphic panel and the materials used.  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/ie/msg129618/#msg129618

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 07:28:33 pm »
It looks like 'ALFAC' is long gone:

http://www.findownersearch.com/alfac-5893829-brand.html

:'(

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 07:38:20 pm »
A quick Google on "electronic project panel decals" revealed others with a similar need and some interesting links to useful images for such use:

http://www.mat.uc.pt/~pedro/ncientificos/artigos/make-delcals.html

http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?19366-Front-panel-decals

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=56205

There are many more pages that may provide what you need. Sadly, with the advent of cheap colour printing and PC's, theer is little need for teh old dry transfer method that I used to use.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:41:54 pm by Aurora »

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:05:16 pm »
There are Mylar labels for laser printing that are waterproof and pretty durable.  I know they come in silver but I think in other colors too.  A 8.5" x 11" sheet should cover most panels.  If you go this route you can use a CAD program to get exactly what you want.

One trick if you have a pot with non- linear positions you want to mark:  put a piece of paper behind the pot and mark each position.  Then tape it to the monitor screen, centered on the hole for the pot.  Draw a line from the center to the radius you want for the scale, and adjust the angle (with one end fixed at the center) until it lines up with the angle you marked.  I did this with an LM-317 based power supply to accurately mark 3.3, 5, 12 volts,p etc.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 08:25:26 pm »
Here is an example of a replacement label I did for my differential probe box.  This is using the technique and material I mentioned above in the video.  This is good stuff.  I took a little liberty to improve the graphics (IMO)

Front panel,  new on right

back panel
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:28:42 pm by robrenz »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 02:11:38 pm »
Aurora, I remember Hanneys of Bath, my grandparents lived in bath, & i've been there with my Grandfather, so thank you for reminding me of the fantastic times with my Grand dad ,who at the time was about the only one who understood me.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 02:13:20 pm »
Robrenz , They look really good better in fact a lot better than the orginals, I'm watching the video with great interest I'll be looking at your video many more times, this has opened a whole NEW world to me Thank You
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:35:41 pm by M0BSW »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 05:01:02 pm »
Here's my first attempt in panel design , I'm sure I've made some mistakes, it's for my no rush winter project, antenna analyser, I'm very pleased with it thanks to all those who steered me in the right direction

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 05:12:14 pm »
Here's my first attempt in panel design , I'm sure I've made some mistakes, it's for my no rush winter project, antenna analyser, I'm very pleased with it thanks to all those who steered me in the right direction
Great! I love it  ;D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 05:24:49 pm »
Thankyou , they can only get better I hope.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 06:28:08 pm »
Very nice work!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 06:41:33 pm »
Very nice work!
It was your advice mainly that got me started, the most scary part was putting the laminate on, got the printer set up now for right size, it was about 1/2 inch out so instead of say 10 inches to print I set it 10.5 which works out just right.
Good advice Thank you, learned something today.
Paul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf