Author Topic: Futurlec?  (Read 14599 times)

Offline sci4meTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • sci4me.com
Futurlec?
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:29:10 am »
Hey guys. So I admit: I did something dumb. I ordered from futurlec before reading any reviews about the site. Why? insane prices.
Now my question is: are they truly a scam or what? Google seems to have mixed opinions about them... it seems like some people get their orders some don't?

Man... what a sh*tty company. Don't understand how their even in business.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
Re: Futurlec?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:57:21 am »
I haven't used them for a couple of years, but they can be a bit slow to respond.
Price makes it worthwhile for some odd parts.
If you're in a hurry go to RS, Farnell, Digikey or Mouser.
Definitely not a scam.

I suspect they sometimes wait to consolidate orders - then order from their suppliers to reduce costs.
I believe their main base is in Thailand, with some sort of presence in Australia.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 07:31:16 am »
I have used them two times and both of my orders arrived. Service is however a little slow.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

• Regular Contributor
    • sci4me.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 07:45:14 am »
Alright well... I suppose if they worked for you guys they'll probably work for me.

It's just ... sketchy. No phone number, no real account system, awful (from what i can tell) "customer service".

Someone from them ("Amp") messaged me about one of the parts being out of stock, we worked that out, and he said that it has been shipped by "standard post" from their Asia distribution centre in Thailand...

I guess I'll wait and see. Sure hope it works out.

Offline BennVenn

• Regular Contributor
    • BennVenn's site
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 09:08:02 am »
Yes very slow and it is up to you to check if you order has been shipped or delayed. 2 months later I emailed and they said they were waiting on 1 item on my order. I said cancel that item and send the order, it showed up 2 weeks later. Keep on top of them or who knows when you'll get your parts...

• Regular Contributor
    • sci4me.com
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 09:09:53 am »
Well they claim that my order was shipped... so theoretically I should have it within two weeks or so?

BTW: I feel really dumb for using this site instead of DigiKey. I mean, I live less than 1 hour from the DigiKey HQ; I've even had a tour of the place! Why I chose Futurlec instead of DigiKey is beyond me. I feel dumb. :P

Offline ttp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 09:46:18 am »
I've ordered from them many times (20-30) over many years and never missed an order. I  don't order from them anything I need in a hurry (learned that early) as delivery can take anything between 2 weeks and 3 months, depends what they have in stock. Couple of times got sent wrong parts and they shipped the right ones straight away for free, told me to keep the wrong ones - not bad.

In summary - good for cheap stock keeping, not a place for repair/fast parts. Try Tayda for more predictable service.

Offline KerryW

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 02:23:31 pm »
I;ve had good luck with them, for parts at least.  Last month, I bought 25 16 pin IDC (ribbon cable) connectors.  $5.50 + $4.00 shipping, arrived in 2 weeks.  They would have cost ~$30.00 from Mouser.

I had them make PCBs for me once (6" x 5.19" qty 2) but when they arrived they had no silk screen.  They were just prototypes so I didn;t complain.  They were fine otherwise.

Here are my notes on Futurelec:

http://www.futurlec.com/index.shtml
Limited selection, amazing prices, long ship times from Hong Kong, good service so far, no minimum order, Hard to communicate with sometimes
If a part is out of stock, they say nothing, just don't ship. I asked after 2 mos, they subbed parts and shipped the next day.
Bought 1/10, asked 3/28, shipped 3/29 (Saturday!) Arrived 4/15
Bought 5/22, shipped 6/4, arrived 6/17

USA, Canada, UK, European Union(EU) and Australia
    Standard Post*
    For orders up to US$29, Delivery Charge - US$4.00.
    For orders US$30 to US$49, Delivery Charge - US$6.00
    For order US$50 to US$99, Delivery Charge - US$9.00
    For order US$100 and above, Delivery Charge - US$14.00
     Express Post - Express Pak Only
    For orders up to US$99, Delivery Charge - US$22.00.
    For order US$100 and above, Delivery Charge - US$44.00
    For orders shipped in Cartons, Express Charges are charged at actual cost.
* Note: Maximum allowable weight for Standard Post shipments is 2kg. For shipments heavier than 2kg these will be shipped by Express Post at the actual shipping costs.

One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions
- Adm. Grace Hopper

• Regular Contributor
    • sci4me.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 05:19:29 pm »
I must say, I am VERY glad to hear that others have had good luck with them. My order was about $60... and apparently it shipped so... we'll see. Hopefully it will be here in somewhere between 1 week and a month...

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 06:53:19 pm »
I've ordered from them a few times too, not recently though, and was satisfied.

Offline rqsall

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 08:30:06 pm »
Ordered from them for the first time about two months ago. Stuff arrived after about a month. So yes, it's slow but not a scam in my experience.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 08:50:27 pm »
They are not scam, I did buy some things from them in the past.

However, their customer service is non-existent and shipping times insane. They will frequently hold an entire order for weeks because one resistor is on backorder, despite their website showing everything being in stock. And they will not let you know that. The order status page is a joke too. If you get a reply to an e-mail inquiry, consider yourself lucky, they reply only after you keep spamming them with e-mails every few days.

So, not scam, but I certainly can't recommend them neither.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 09:00:50 pm »
Well they claim that my order was shipped... so theoretically I should have it within two weeks or so?

BTW: I feel really dumb for using this site instead of DigiKey. I mean, I live less than 1 hour from the DigiKey HQ; I've even had a tour of the place! Why I chose Futurlec instead of DigiKey is beyond me. I feel dumb. :P

As big as DigiKey is, there are many things that Futurlec sells that you will never find at DigiKey.
I have placed several orders with Futurlec and I have seen significantly below-average customer service.
My working philosophy is that if they have something unique and you don't need it for 2-3 months, place the order.
And maybe they will bail and be unable to deliver. Otherwise, probably not worth the aggravation.

Offline grantbob

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 09:40:29 pm »
Yeah... they aren't a scam. Just slow. Communication is not one of their strengths.  I placed an order and several weeks later it still hadn't shipped. After a few emails I found out that they were waiting for a knob to be in stock (that claimed to be in stock when I ordered... and from talking to other folks "in stock" doesn't mean much.) Took about 2 months to get my order.

It all came eventually and the parts were are new and seem to be of good quality. One of the PCB's I ordered was crushed in the mail (they didn't use a box) so they shipped me another one eventually and it made it.

Overall it was a weird experience. Dealing with HK. Billed in AUD. Shipped from Germany. Just strange.

-grantbob

Offline Thor-Arne

• Supporter
  • tinker - tinker, little noob.....
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 10:04:48 pm »
I stopped ordering stuff from Futurlec after I received some cmos'es shipped loose in a standard zip-lock bag.
No ESD protection, and all had pins bended.

• Regular Contributor
    • sci4me.com
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 05:34:31 am »
Well thank you guys! For a moment I was worried but now I'm sure my stuff will arrive. Very helpful replies from all of you. :)

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 06:59:47 am »
I used them quite a bit years back...but they got slower and slower to post products and respond to emails on why.

On my last order, ~$120 or parts, they took over 4 months...I gave up and haven't been back since ~ 2012.  A search of the net provides similar stories.
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 10:44:47 am »
I previously defended futurlec, but after my last order, I won't be ordering from them again.

If things aren't in stock from your order, they don't charge you, and ship nothing...

This time, everything was showing stock, they charged me, and sent my order.

It was mainly just a few regulators, and some header pins/connectors I had no use for, but added to the order just because.

Well, it arrived, and they shipped the wrong regulator... no worries, they agreed to resend the right item.

A day later, they tell me they have no stock, and will refund the $13 I paid for the regulators... except I didn't only spend $13, I spent $27 total, on parts I didn't need, and would have just gotten from elsewhere, I only ordered them because I was buying the regulators!

And to make things even better, 2 weeks after they said they'd give me a refund in 2-3 days, I haven't got a refund!

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 11:00:46 pm »
Futurlec's customer (non-)service is legendary. I seriously wonder how they still manage to stay in business.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 12:56:22 am »
Futurlec's customer (non-)service is legendary. I seriously wonder how they still manage to stay in business.
They seem to sell lots of products that you can't find anywhere else.  Or at least that is my perception.

Offline Fenichel

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 07:30:02 am »
  They do sell some products that you'll have difficulty finding elsewhere, and their prices are low.  I placed 7 orders with them in 2010-2014, with an average order-to-delivery time of 26 days.  The last time I dealt with them, my order included a few mylar capacitors.  They sent me the wrong ones, as could be seen from the part markings and verified by testing.  I described the problem to them, and they sent me more of the wrong capacitors.  I finally asked for a refund; they said they'd send it, but they didn't. 

Life is too short; I wouldn't deal with them again.

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 09:20:38 am »
And to make things even better, 2 weeks after they said they'd give me a refund in 2-3 days, I haven't got a refund!

Oh, what I forgot to mention, they've simply stopped replying to emails now.

Offline sean0118

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 12:50:52 pm »
Yeah, I ordered from them once, wouldn't do it again. One of the things I bought was a switch (not super cheap either)...   the top twisted off when I did the locking nut up finger tight....   completely ruined, bought a C&K switch from another supplier and the quality is x100 better... :P

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 01:07:56 am »
They seem to sell lots of products that you can't find anywhere else.  Or at least that is my perception.

The products they are selling are available elsewhere, their only advantage is the low list price. However, what is good on saving few bucks when you have to wait months to get the package and in the end you are sent the wrong item or the item isn't even available, despite what is shown on their site?

Life is too short for things like that, IMO.

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 02:14:44 pm »
For those who have bought parts from Futurlec, are the parts genuine? Has anyone here ever received a fake IC from them?
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 03:12:43 pm »
I have never received anything from Futurlec that appeared to be counterfeit.
IME, their main problem seems to be customer service, not product quality.

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 08:17:20 pm »
For those who have bought parts from Futurlec, are the parts genuine? Has anyone here ever received a fake IC from them?

How can it be counterfeit when they don't even send it?  :-DD

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 09:17:04 pm »
LMAO!

On the 3rd of November last year, they said they'd refund me $US13 for regulators that they never had in stock but charged me for, and shipped the wrong item.

They never issued a refund and simply stopped replying to emails...

Today, I checked my credit card statement online, and see a refund from Futurlec for the 3rd of June, 2016.... 7 months later?!?! For $AU18.05 (~$US13)

:-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

Offline 0xFFF0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2019, 04:51:58 pm »
This company seems to be dead!
-->

The mail system

<bulkbuy@futurlec.com>: host mx.partnerconsole.net[202.124.241.196] said: 550
    no mailbox by that name is currently available (in reply to RCPT TO
    command)

<technical@futurlec.com>: host mx.partnerconsole.net[202.124.241.196] said: 550
    "User Unknown technical@futurlec.com" (in reply to RCPT TO command)

<webmaster@futurlec.com>: host mx.partnerconsole.net[202.124.241.196] said: 550
    "User Unknown webmaster@futurlec.com" (in reply to RCPT TO command)

<orders@futurlec.com>: host mx.partnerconsole.net[202.124.241.196] said: 550
    High probability of spam (in reply to end of DATA command)

<pcb@futurlec.com>: host mx.partnerconsole.net[202.124.241.196] said: 550 High
    probability of spam (in reply to end of DATA command)

<sales@futurlec.com>: host mx.partnerconsole.net[202.124.241.196] said: 550
    High probability of spam (in reply to end of DATA command)

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2019, 10:19:51 pm »
Places like Digikey ,Mouser ,Futurlec ,ect are distributors. And you pay for all the middle men ,stocking fees ,administration fees and even the free shipping.Its all hidden in the price.I never use them unless its a last resort because I can buy direct from the manufacture in most cases.I know it's a sore spot for most people buying from Asia . But many of the reputable manufactures have facilities and warehouse there and suppliers from there can get products very cheap.I won't get into the economic ramifications of this except that just the way it is now.Blame the corporations for exploiting the cheap labor.
I've bought a lot of stuff from Asia a havn't been disappointed.Even stuff from Digikey has China all over it. So what can you do.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf