Author Topic: gear 0.1?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline ucTopic starter

• Contributor
gear 0.1?
« on: May 23, 2018, 02:42:32 pm »
Hello
Dear All, I am working with my new hobby. Practical Electronics the hard way as am a novice.
I have in some time, bought some equipment to fulfill this new hobby.
1. Bread board mod RH-74 with some wires.
2. FLUKE 79 III True RMSMultimeter
3. PS23023 Power Supply
4. RIGOL DS1054Z
5. Soldering Iron Controller VTSS4
6. Finilly the book "THE ART OF ELECTRONICS 3:d Edition.
What do you think I need more?
My intention is to follow the scematics from the book, buy the involved components and test the theory with practice.
Best regards
UC
Way not

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
Re: gear 0.1?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 03:14:09 pm »
Patience... Welcome to the forum µC.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:27:26 pm by tpowell1830 »
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: uc

Offline ucTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 03:34:35 pm »
Maybee I am ansver myselves  :)
Do you think I need an insulation transformer?
I was a nervous reading the following text from the book, quote page 632:
“9.5.2 Transformer
Now for the transformer. Never build an instrument to run
off the powerline without an isolating transformer! To do
so is to flirt with disaster.”
Is this a next gear I need?
//uc
Way not

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 03:53:09 pm »
Welcome.

Aside from perhaps the Art of Electronics BOM switch to a "needs only" purchasing decision.

Why? Because in electronics you can spend endless amounts on gadgets that mean nothing without knowledge.

One thing that will be useful however is download a free PC audio signal generator so you can play with some signals and work through the Rigol manual.

Tell people around you about your new hobby, and that you're accepting free non working electronics as parts (better than sending it to the landfill). Unless it's worth money or practice repairing, remove the PCBs and power supplies and scrap all the metal.

An example, I repaired an instrument for a few dollars in parts. Not happy with a part I had on hand, I found a high quality replacement after looking at a couple of junk PCBs. It was free, didn't have to pay for the part or shipping and wait a few days.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline larsdenmark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 03:57:53 pm »
You need a project.

What do you want to make? Maybe you should get a premade kit and practice soldering on that. Once you have it working you can focus on measurement, understanding and modifications of the circuit.

You will eventually need parts. It is much easier to get parts once you know what you will build.

You don’t need an isolation transformer. Your power supply is fine (as in: very good).

I wouldn’t consider The Art of Electronics to be a good book for beginners. Unless you really like it, you should search for another book with more nstructions.

Lars

The following users thanked this post: BergRD, uc

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 04:35:19 pm »
That's a nice setup for novice starting out

I had a Antex iron, and a tandy aka radioshack DMM after many years I got a ex MOD valve oscilloscope

Get some projects on the go, I have always like picking up something that's broken and repair it, I have learnt a lot like this including reading schematics and drawings from a early age

old pcb's are good way to hone your soldering/de-soldering skills, you also learn what the components are and how circuits are designed

what would I add to that list.... (decent quality stuff)

De-solder braid
Solder 2-3 types
flux pen
Cutters (side cutters and diagonal cutters)
long nose pliers
screwdrivers

Helping hands
Desk magnifying glass (if you ever do any smd work/rework you will need it, 0603 parts are tiny)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:46:22 pm by bob225 »

Offline ucTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 05:50:01 pm »
Dear All,
A lot of positive feedback from you guys.Thanks!
If I understand your most important comment is correct!
I should create a project!
I have an idea.
I be back with gear 0.2 8)
And lets take it from there
Take care guys
//uc
Way not

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 06:09:17 pm »
You could also look for " Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits
Rudolf F. Graf, William " on Internet....there are thousands of simples electronic circuits.

This encyclopedia has 7 volumes, some are downloadable for free.

Offline ucTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 07:00:56 pm »
This is my project:
My wife received a green house for here 60 years present from our children.
Now I finally erected it.
She is complaining that she is not able to visit our grandchildren due to all the “growing stuff” that needs water.
So my project is:
Step 1 (today)
1.   Power input: 220W AC
2.   Safety against electric shock.
3.   Individual valve regulated water injection for 10 units (several plants in one unit). Based on liter/day
Step 2 (future)
3.   Individual valve regulated water injection for 10 units (several plants in one unit). Based on moisture in the dirt.
Step 3 (future future)
3.   Individual valve regulated water injection for 10 units (several plants in one unit). Based on liter/day optimized for moisture in the dirt and monitoring and regulated  via apps.
Do you think of it is “over my head”?
//uc
Way not

Offline ucTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 07:02:50 pm »
Not W  it is V
Way not

Offline larsdenmark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 10:00:09 am »
This should be easy enough.

You need a (solonoid) valve to control the water flow. These are expensive so start with just one. They are often driven using 12 V or 24 V (12 V will be easier to work with). When testing use your power supply. For the final design I suggest a 12 V transformer to make sure you don't have 220 V near any water.

Step 1 is difficult. You need to be able to measure how many liters you supply and you need to be able to count days/hours/minutes.

Step 2 should be fairly easy. You can measure the earth moisture (e.g. using resistance). If the content is too low you switch on the valve (for a certain amount of time).

You can e.g. use something like this:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13322
You should be able to find a local supplier of Sparkfun items.

This should be doable using only analog components. Once this works you can slip into step 3 that will require a digital circuit.

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 02:42:06 am »
Definitely a good project to start your new hobby.  Get your wife involved so that she sees merit in what you are doing so that in the future you won't get accused of wasting your time.  Maybe you wont have to listen to the  :blah: :blah: :blah: later   

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 04:25:30 am »
If you want to work with mains related voltages an Isolation Transformer is defenately a big plus.
But as you say you are a beginner, it is probably better to not mess with mains voltages directly for a few years.
An isolation transformer is no guarantee for not letting some smoke escape from your oscilloscope or fingers.
If you don't work with mains related voltages, you have no need for an isolation transformer.

Get some extra multimeters.
You often want to measure several voltages at the same time, or monitor current & voltage.
These other meters do not have to be very accurate / reliable / expensive.
You can check them with your Fluke if there is any doubt.
The aneng AN8000 series is very popular lately.

The finding a good project is the hard part.
A watering timer is a very common piece of kit:
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=watering+timer
And because water flow is relatively constant, there is not much use in adding a flow meter.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=flow+sensor
On the other hand, If you buy a separate electrical valve (and possibly flow meter) you probably have much better quality components than the "watering timer" from the link mentioned above.
Seems like a doable project for a "beginner".

It seems that you do not have a function generator.
You can buy a fancy 10MHz+ version, but for starters it is always handy to be able to at least have an easy way to generate some kind of test signal.
This version with the ICL8038 seems a nice compromise between very cheap and usefull.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Precision-Function-Signal-Generator-Module-DIY-kits-for-Wave-Output-3Hz-300kHz-Adjustable-Frequency-Amplitude/32838770885.htm
(put it in a box with a power supply, front panel and real switches instead of the jumpers for ease of use).

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 05:09:20 am »
For the project you have in mind it sounds like you may want to start by learning to program a microcontroller, there are many different choices there, do you know any programming languages already? If not then you might try to learn C as it's the most common used, or the Arduino uses something that resembles C. Start by learning to control LEDs and small motors and such, once you have that figured out then moving up to controlling water valves is only a small jump.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 07:57:46 am »
This is my project:
My wife received a green house for here 60 years present from our children.
Now I finally erected it.
She is complaining that she is not able to visit our grandchildren due to all the “growing stuff” that needs water.
So my project is:
Step 1 (today)
3.   Individual valve regulated water injection for 10 units (several plants in one unit). Based on liter/day
Step 2 (future)
3.   Individual valve regulated water injection for 10 units (several plants in one unit). Based on moisture in the dirt.
Step 3 (future future)
3.   Individual valve regulated water injection for 10 units (several plants in one unit). Based on liter/day optimized for moisture in the dirt and monitoring and regulated  via apps.
Do you think of it is “over my head”?
//uc

Don't forget Step 4: Make nice happy plant LEDs so your wife knows which pots are hydrated... preferrably changing colors every few seconds on a 3d printed sunflower maybe? This will be icing on the cake...

:popcorn:
PEACE===>T

Offline ucTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 03:22:38 pm »
Yes!!
 dear”tpowell130” It is a really good idea.  8)
I will do it as Step 4.
//uc
Way not

Offline ucTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 04:26:35 pm »
Dear Doctorandus_P
“Not mess with mains voltages directly for a few years”  Understand: OK!
“An isolation transformer is no guarantee for not letting some smoke escape from your
oscilloscope or fingers Understand”: Pleace explain?//uc
If you don't work with mains related voltages, you have no need for an isolation transformer. Please explain?
//uc
Way not

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 04:35:09 pm »
Watch Dave's video on how not to blow up your oscilloscope, that will explain the need for an isolation transformer. It is needed for using a scope on non-isolated mains powered equipment, like the line side of switchmode power supplies where signal ground may be well above actual ground (earth) potential. With any low voltage DC powered equipment the power supply provides the needed isolation, or batteries are inherently isolated.

Don't worry about getting more equipment for now, you already have a lab that would be the envy of most beginners and quite a few established hobbyists. I was into electronics for years before I had any kind of oscilloscope and then I was overjoyed to be given an old 5MHz analog scope with a bad capacitor, hey I finally had a scope! Nice ones were very expensive back then. It was later still that I had a digital multimeter, they were expensive and I was poor, so I had an analog multimeter. Much can be done with only a multimeter and a power source.

For now what you need to do is start building stuff, start simple, blink some LEDs, build a basic bench power supply, something like that. Spent some time every day either making something or studying theory. As you think of things you'd like to build, make a list and then you can tackle the projects as you gain the necessary skills and parts.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:13:50 pm by james_s »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 04:44:28 pm »
If you don't work with mains related voltages, you have no need for an isolation transformer. Please explain?
//uc

For your project, once you have the water control solenoids chosen, this will define the highest voltage you will need to work with.  If they have a 12V coil, then all you will need is a power supply that can deliver 12V.  All the other circuitry you describe can be run on voltages that can be derived from that.  Just make sure your power supply can deliver the required current.

The simplest answer is to buy a complete power supply - maybe something like a computer power pack.  There are a few alternatives.  Alternatively, you could build your own around a suitable mains transformer.  With this approach, you only need to take extreme care in the layout and connection of the mains wiring.  Once that is done, your circuitry will be operating on the lower voltage.  For this type of use, you do not require an isolation transformer.

Offline ucTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 05:05:19 pm »
Dear “James’s” thanks for your first “re”. Post 9 refer to gear 0.1
I am not planning to do some CC+ programming at this stage as I want to know more basic stuff.
As you mention I is better to build basic things and understand the involved parameters then go for the hard technical option.
I think I need a mentor! 8)
Take care
//uc
Way not

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf